U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:19 PM

8,865 posts, read 4,829,530 times

Advertisements

Being water conscious (especially since I am going to live where it comes from my well), I try to cut down on my shower time.

But standing under the hot water when awakening after my day's sleep in the sunlight is so pleasant.

Is there another way to awake from feeling freight trained?

Now some might say, "Nope, it's just part of being old", but even back in my ROTC days, I remember how many of us, one at a time mind you, would take over a dorm shower and do something like a "Firefox", where we'd be in there for an hour or two (but don't think any of us reached 4 hours like Clint's "cover story" in the movie) enjoying the heat, enjoying the steam...........................

.........................................actually as things go, I didn't take "steam showers" to set up a sauna but rather, turned the outer showers to HOT as a barrier. It was a common trick for an upperclassman to get some underclassmen to fill a clean garbage can with cold water, kick open the swing door to the showers, and douse the one in the shower with cold water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM

18,823 posts, read 6,149,026 times
We are in a drought in So. Cal. Water is precious and hearing it can get worse in the coming year.

I wake up like I've been run over with a Mack truck and I sleep pretty good at night. I'm 77 and this Mack truck wake up has been going on probably since I was told I had Fibromyalgia in 1999...

And living with chronic pain can cause Mack Truck or Freight Train feeling.

So I work thru it all and also know low morning cortisol can do this.

A really hotter shower zaps any energy I may have in the AM or whenever.

I question Fibro dx as I believe so many "systems" have gone whacky in our bodies.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM

Rather do it without drugs. As things go, I'm rather drug free. Rather do it naturally, be it yoga, hitting my ballet barre first, or a change in diet.

A big item I ought to mention is that I work nights. Often I go to sleep in the daylight but it depends on the day to whether I wake up in the sun or the dark.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I have the freight train feeling in the morning. I also have a deep bathtub/shower and I can't pick my legs up high enough to climb in until I've stretched for about 30 minutes. So the hot shower is not an option for me in the mornings.

One of my kids has developed an allergy to hot water. If she takes a hot shower, she gets hives. She has OCD and has been taking many, many showers, which might be what led to her sensitivity. Now we're all afraid to take too many hot showers or take them for too long because we might develop the same problem with the hives.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 PM

18,823 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Could it be fluoride, chlorine, and other chemicals in the water making the hives issue. Many are allergic to fluoride. I dread these chemicals.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 PM

For the immediate moment, I suppose doing my "Body Principal" stretches in bed and then going to my ballet barre might be the path. At the very least, hitting my ballet barre may put me in the proper mind focus to approach my next wake session.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 PM

706 posts, read 396,641 times
Have you tried taking a warm/hot shower for 10 minutes or so (just long enough to take care of business without wasting water), and then finishing off with cool/cold water for a minute? I hear it's quite invigorating. I don't take showers to wake up, so I don't really know. I have just heard that this helps. [I do actually give my hair a final cool rinse to close up the cuticles on the hair shaft.] It also closes up your skin pores, so it could help people suffering from acne.

Also, you're probably not getting enough sleep if you have to use a prolonged shower to wake up. Think about adjusting your schedule to include a nap during the day, or just sleeping more at night. If you have problems getting to sleep, they can likely be remedied naturally. If you just don't have enough sleep at night for lack of hours in the day, consider a cat nap. It doesn't have to be more than 20-30 minutes to be effective. It can even be done in-between jobs if you have more than one.

The other thing that can cause fatigue is vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Sadly, these are prevalent in today's society. Below is a link to a site where you can investigate the balance of minerals and vitamins. Be sure to look at the bottom of each page to see what the symptoms are for each nutrient. The link is for Ca and Mg, but just click on the other nutrients to learn more about them.

Calcium and Magnesium: Requirements, Health Benefits, Supplement info

You could also consider drinking a cup of organic instant coffee in the morning. Caffeine is helpful in moderate amounts. Too much and it backfires--like Tylenol. A pot of coffee over the span of 3-4 hours is probably doing no good for a person's body in the long run. More water is actually needed, in most cases. Many people are simply dehydrated, and/or their electrolytes are out of balance. Organic green or white tea is a good substitute for coffee, as is yerba mate for some people. A tall glass of lemon water first thing in the morning is excellent to get the digestive and detox systems going. I know the subject is gross, but making sure you eliminate at least once a day can help clear out the sluggishness in one's body.

So my advice is to drink more (high-quality) water, get more sleep, and take care of nutritional deficiencies. Avoid the Iphone for at least an hour before you plan to go to bed. Get more sunshine (for the vitamin D production), but don't let yourself burn. The last thing I would recommend is a good whole-body cleansing if you've been exposed to an excessive amount of toxins (industrial or military jobs, in particular).

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 PM

706 posts, read 396,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Rather do it without drugs. As things go, I'm rather drug free. Rather do it naturally, be it yoga, hitting my ballet barre first, or a change in diet.

A big item I ought to mention is that I work nights. Often I go to sleep in the daylight but it depends on the day to whether I wake up in the sun or the dark.
You might also consider using one of those "beauty" sleep masks since you have to sleep during the day. Block out as much light as you can while you sleep. If possible, try to put yourself on a schedule, where you sleep at approximately the same time every day. Sleep as much as your body says you should sleep.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Freezing showers will wake you up in a minute. And if that is not enough, take a block of ice in with you, big enough to fit in your hand......apply while taking the freezing shower.

Oh yeah, ease into the freezing showers.........some people do it and their heart stops or they have a heart attack☺!!!!

Last edited by tickyul; 06-07-2016 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Holocausting Canines.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:40 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
In the summer I take a cool shower. Even in the winter (which in Florida, let's face it isn't really winter) I start with a hot shower and finish with a cooler one. Then there is always some caffeine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or