U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,445,655 times

Advertisements

Water is essential for maintaining the kidneys in good working order and for preventing dehydration and other health issues. The rule of thumb has been advertised as "drink 8 X 8." That means drink 8 cups (8 oz. each) a day.

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) however recommends the following:

For men, approximately 13 cups (3 liters) a day.

For women, 9 cups (2.2 liters) a day.

How much do you take in a day?

I have to admit, in the past I've fallen short of the mark, but now I'm trying to do about a cup an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 3,365,333 times
I don't drink much plain water and I find this emphasis on a certain amount of water per day a little strange. So many people these days carry around a big water bottle wherever they go and are religious about drinking so many cups every day. No one did this when I was little. Was everyone really dehydrated then? Or do we really not need all that much plain water after all?

I prefer green tea, and drink a great deal--6+ cups a day. But supposedly this "doesn't count."

Anyway, I can't see much difference between eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of water, and eating a bowl of soup. Aren't they exactly the same to your stomach?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:34 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,445,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't drink much plain water and I find this emphasis on a certain amount of water per day a little strange. So many people these days carry around a big water bottle wherever they go and are religious about drinking so many cups every day. No one did this when I was little. Was everyone really dehydrated then? Or do we really not need all that much plain water after all?

I prefer green tea, and drink a great deal--6+ cups a day. But supposedly this "doesn't count."

Anyway, I can't see much difference between eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of water, and eating a bowl of soup. Aren't they exactly the same to your stomach?
You make some good points. And according to WebMD, tea does count. That was a myth that was debunked. Also a lot of fruits and other ways to add to your water intake, including soup. Check out the article.

What Counts as Water? How to Stay Hydrated

Old 06-07-2016, 03:37 PM

27,537 posts, read 17,669,809 times
I drink quite a bit, but probably could use more. 32 oz during my work out, refill and drink 16 oz on my way home. Usually another 48 throughout the day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM

19,640 posts, read 53,536,771 times
I have to be quite careful about fluid intake b/c I had a gastric bypass in 2010. Getting dehydrated happens quite fast for me. My surgeon specifically said that the 8x8 rule was a guedtimate. We take in fluid with our foods - think about watermelon or a juicy orange. Everyone has to find their level. If you're not constipated or having irregular heart beats, don't worry.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:30 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,645,899 times
I actually try to get in about 100 oz. per day, especially with the mugginess (here) of summer coming. I can actually tell a difference in how energetic I feel and even how I deal with stress (it may be a placebo effect) depending on how much water I drink.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,731,976 times
I don't "drink" that much per day, unless I'm doing something that makes me REALLY thirsty! You do know you get lots of fluid from food and other drinks....so there's no need to force water into your body, unless you really are doing something majorly physical in high heat!

Old 06-08-2016, 01:35 PM

865 posts, read 644,567 times
My body lets me know when I'm thirsty and have never really paid much attention to it. I did notice on a recent trip to Colorado that I consumed as least 3-4x as much water daily (vs. the humid southeast where I live). I found it very annoying to need to bring lots of water even when you were only going to be outside for a few hours.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:26 PM

706 posts, read 397,618 times
The best general rule of thumb I've heard is that you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water. So for me, that would be 50 ounces a day since I weigh 100 lbs. I don't drink quite that much, but I do take in other fluids (only one cup of coffee). I disagree with the 8 (8oz) glasses a day for everyone since weight does matter in this instance. Also, really active people may need more than others.

From what I understand, by the time you get thirsty your body is probably already dehydrated to an extent.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:11 PM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Well I am probably in the minority here, but I wonder if this drinking so much water unless you have a condition like southernbelle: I don't mean we shouldn't consume water and probably more than many of us do, but for some, drinking too much means get up and pee all night long. I drink probably about a liter plus a day, maybe a little more and coffee in the morning. I just had my annual check up; my kidneys are in great shape and i don't see to have any ailments that drinking more water would make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness