U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 03:21 PM

29,261 posts, read 18,530,276 times

Advertisements

It's why pepper spray works so well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
Daughter works at a salsa company and a year later she still couchfro the peppers. What's it doing to her lungs?

Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 1,885,598 times
I remember one day about 35 years ago I was munching on fresh jalapenos all day long. I think I mighta ate about 10 jalapenos, maybe 15. They didn't taste all that hot. In fact they tasted kinda sweet. That's why I could eat so many. I was really enjoying the taste of them. But early that evening I began to feel an intense heat on my insides and it kept getting hotter and hotter. It was almost more than I could stand. For about 3 hours it felt like I was on fire. I was close to taking myself to the er. The only time I ever experienced a heat that was so intensely hotter for a continued period of time was when I was stung from my foot to my groin by a Portuguese-man-o-war in the Gulf Of Mexico near Corpus Christi in May of 1987. That felt like a red hot brand laying on the affected area from my foot to my groin for at least 24 hours. That was worse than the jalapenos, but not my much, as far as intensity of the heat was.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 6,946,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreeze4811 View Post
Daughter works at a salsa company and a year later she still couchfro the peppers. What's it doing to her lungs?
I would think the workers would wear those masks to protect themselves.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
She does wear a mask. I was asking about a medical reason if there would be any damage to her lungs.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM

390 posts, read 216,866 times
That is scary not being able to breath. I don't usually ear peppers so was not aware of the risk.

I have to admit this thread reminded me of this video.

https://youtu.be/ujl-1lxyxNs

Edit: Not sure why I can never manage to embedd these things.

Last edited by ms12345; 12-01-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 1,361,536 times
Hi! I am the original poster. I found my post when I didn't another search of "allergic reaction to jalapenos" since this is still a concern.

This is the update: I have not been to the doctor. Ooops. I remember many years ago a doctor asked if I had asthma. Anyway, I was told to take allergy pills when I felt post nasal drip and other mild symptoms. I also have a cat.

I cannot be anywhere near the kitchen when jalapenos are in the house. The two times somebody brought them in for salsa, I had to leave or go behind a closed door. I can immediately detect its "vapors" in the air. I was at the second floor landing and I could still feel it in my throat. So I went behind two closed doors.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 AM

13,871 posts, read 11,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Hi! I am the original poster. I found my post when I didn't another search of "allergic reaction to jalapenos" since this is still a concern.

This is the update: I have not been to the doctor. Ooops. I remember many years ago a doctor asked if I had asthma. Anyway, I was told to take allergy pills when I felt post nasal drip and other mild symptoms. I also have a cat.

I cannot be anywhere near the kitchen when jalapenos are in the house. The two times somebody brought them in for salsa, I had to leave or go behind a closed door. I can immediately detect its "vapors" in the air. I was at the second floor landing and I could still feel it in my throat. So I went behind two closed doors.
Years ago I worked a 'spill team'. One problem we had was with the different 'individual tolerances' of the employees. It is very hard to predict how the next person will react to any smell or chemical. At another job, unrelated to the spill team, we had one employee that almost died from being exposed to formaldehyde. Ten of us were exposed at the same time and most of us had burning, runny eyes and sore throats. But one woman stopped breathing and turned blue. She would have died had it not been for fast medical attention and removing her to fresh air. When I worked the spill team there was one chemical that I developed a hypersensitivity to and could smell it hundreds of feet away. Fortunately, for me and others, the EPA banned that chemical.

While you talk about your hypersensitivity to jalapenos; horseradish comes to my mind: https://naturespoisons.com/2014/05/2...in-your-mouth/. I remember grinding horseradish as a kid. Latter the military gave me tear gas training and I think that the horseradish might have been stronger! Yes, it is easy to picture why you could have problems with jalapenos.

Doctors might be able to help you: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...09ad4fbe3f306? From that article: "Various versions of oral immunotherapy are already being used, with the immune system becoming “re-educated” when the patient eats and digests the offending substance in tiny amounts that are gradually increased. I did this for my daughter to desensitize her to a severe egg allergy." I really do not know; but you could ask your doctor.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:27 PM

15,768 posts, read 15,748,177 times
My digestive-system does poorly with spicy and hot foods.......jalapenos, oh my, I will be feeling them for days after eating.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 282 times
Today I ate a thin slice of jalapeno at a restaurant in austin. The slices had been grilled. I almost died with my throat closing up. It seemed an eternity
to get my breathing back to normal. My wife mistook it ,as needing the hymlick
Treatment. I could barely signal her that
What was happening ... could not be treated that way. I spit out the remainder of the tiny slice , drank water
Untill I was able to breath. It was a horrible experience. In my past I have ate every sort of hot hot peppers. Today that is going to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or