U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM

70,330 posts, read 81,051,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranegerald View Post
Today I ate a thin slice of jalapeno at a restaurant in austin. The slices had been grilled. I almost died with my throat closing up. It seemed an eternity
to get my breathing back to normal. My wife mistook it ,as needing the hymlick
Treatment. I could barely signal her that
What was happening ... could not be treated that way. I spit out the remainder of the tiny slice , drank water
Untill I was able to breath. It was a horrible experience. In my past I have ate every sort of hot hot peppers. Today that is going to change.
Wonder why you have been able to eat them in the past but not now. Could you have gotten a few of the seeds in your mouth or somethink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 AM

5,793 posts, read 3,329,131 times
I watched a cooking show with a chef from Mexico who gave a lecture on heat levels of peppers. In her recipe she was using poblanos but gave a warning. Occasionally, you might get a "mutant" poblano which will be a lot hotter than normal. Might also happen with a jalapeno?

While it is easy to see the difference between a poblano and a jalapeno, not so much between a jalapeno and a (hotter) serrano. Made that mistake myself a few times. Surprise!!!!

Could this be the issue?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM

1,003 posts, read 247,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wonder why you have been able to eat them in the past but not now. Could you have gotten a few of the seeds in your mouth or somethink?
It sounds like this time some capsaicin-containing material aerosol-ed into her airways. That's different - and it will cause coughing. You sometimes get it if you roast chilli peppers indoors. The airways and alimentary canal share a common initial path (the mouth) but there's certain stuff that just should not go in your airways. You can eat all sorts of stuff that would cause problems in the windpipe.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 206 times
Tonight I had a Mexican meal that began with chips and salsa. Everything was fine until several minutes in when a very hot pepper piece seemed to hit my throat in an odd way and my throat suddenly closed up and my airway wouldn’t allow air through except in a very tiny, restricted amount for about a full 15 seconds. I could not drink or move as I was entirely focussed on trying to breathe. I have never had any known allergies for foods before and have eaten salsas and spicy and peppery dishes all my Adult life. This was extremely scary and a first for me.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 PM

15,759 posts, read 29,699,356 times
I am not being flippant but the EXACT same thing happens to me when I chew Juicy Fruit gum. The worst feeling in the world is when you want to breathe and can't.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 PM

13,871 posts, read 11,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not being flippant but the EXACT same thing happens to me when I chew Juicy Fruit gum. The worst feeling in the world is when you want to breathe and can't.
I like Jalapenos and other hot peppers in general. But there are some that are far too hot. I am not that great at telling them apart until it is too late. About a month ago I bought a frozen Chinese spicy meal and it tasted great; until I hit the hidden pepper. I do not know what kind it was; I am great at just inhaling my food. That pepper took my breath away, made my nose run and brought tears to my eyes. I was surprised that the company sold something that hot. Considering I like food hot; I could picture the reaction from a person that could not tolerate hot. Of course they probably never would have bought one that claimed 'hot and spicy'!

Years ago there was a coworker that loved to bring in his extra hot and spicy homemade mustard and he would bring in a bag of pretzels to try his 'skill'. Most of us knew how hot it was and would only barely dab the pretzel in the hot mustard. We had one physically big coworker that walked in and to show off he really covered one of the pretzels in the mustard and shoved it into his mouth. The reaction was instantaneous. He immediately went down on his knees with the snot and tears flowing. When he caught his breath he ran to the water fountain. Nothing like a showoff!

Have you ever figured out why Juicy Fruit?

Old 12-08-2018, 03:19 PM

186,713 posts, read 75,734,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I like Jalapenos and other hot peppers in general. But there are some that are far too hot. I am not that great at telling them apart until it is too late. About a month ago I bought a frozen Chinese spicy meal and it tasted great; until I hit the hidden pepper. I do not know what kind it was; I am great at just inhaling my food. That pepper took my breath away, made my nose run and brought tears to my eyes. I was surprised that the company sold something that hot. Considering I like food hot; I could picture the reaction from a person that could not tolerate hot. Of course they probably never would have bought one that claimed 'hot and spicy'!

Years ago there was a coworker that loved to bring in his extra hot and spicy homemade mustard and he would bring in a bag of pretzels to try his 'skill'. Most of us knew how hot it was and would only barely dab the pretzel in the hot mustard. We had one physically big coworker that walked in and to show off he really covered one of the pretzels in the mustard and shoved it into his mouth. The reaction was instantaneous. He immediately went down on his knees with the snot and tears flowing. When he caught his breath he ran to the water fountain. Nothing like a showoff!
And my usual beef with foods that claim to be hot and spicy is that they are only a medium at best. Especially wings that are not from a real wing establishment. Of all the wings I've ordered only twice have I had wings where the pepper was so strong that it overpowered the wing. I eat about a pint of jalapeno nacho peppers a week. No problems.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 PM

15,759 posts, read 29,699,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Have you ever figured out why Juicy Fruit?
No idea. The first time it happened I figured it was a fluke but it happens *every single time*.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM

13,871 posts, read 11,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
And my usual beef with foods that claim to be hot and spicy is that they are only a medium at best. Especially wings that are not from a real wing establishment. Of all the wings I've ordered only twice have I had wings where the pepper was so strong that it overpowered the wing. I eat about a pint of jalapeno nacho peppers a week. No problems.
I love the jalapenos and that is why I thought it was unusual that a company would market a TV diner that could take your breath away - maybe a mistake?

As far as 20yrsinBranson's Juicy Fruit problem: I have no idea why and I am curious if you ever find out?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 86 times
Default Jalapeños

I just had the same thing happen to me tonight. I actually had finished washing out and cutting up a small jalapeño and had started to slice an onion when it hit me! I started coughing and then I had difficulty getting in air through my throat. My nose and mouth were fine, but no air was coming into my throat. I like the other people in this post had to leave the kitchen, stay calm and continue to try to take in air. I thought too that I was going to pass out or worse. I was alone. Even if I called 911 I would not have been able to talk.

Shortly thereafter in seconds after getting out of the kitchen my airway reopened. I went to look in the mirror to check for any swelling or redness of my face.

It’s NOT an allergy. After searching online, chile peppers (jalapeños) have a chemical call capsaicin that becomes an aerosol when the pepper is cut/washed. This is what causes the reaction and it can happen to anyone.

I have NO experience with jalapeños, but the recipe I was following called for it.

Recommendations are to wear a mask that is dampened or a mask with a dampened wash cloth in it.

Just thought I would share. You can search “ why do Chile peppers make people cough”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or