Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about peppers except that I will not eat them. Just the smell, but worse, the pain. I don't even want to get used to that; I have nothing to prove. Hot peppers are in lots of foods now and I have to pick them out or I just can't eat it.

Are these things healthy for people? Some woman in a restaurant saw me picking the hot peppers out of the food and said that I was taking out the best part--the vitamin C. I'd rather eat an orange, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 PM

19,301 posts, read 9,399,514 times
I don't do spicy foods like jalapeño. However; there is a mild jalapeño cheese that I can eat. My other half, Mr C, loves spices and hot peppers a l o t. So, this past summer, I bought a reaper plant and put it in a container on the deck. It took forever to grow. It wasn't until very late summer that I was actually able to pick a couple off from the plant. I remembered to use gloves. I cut one up and along with some other peppers and veggies, I roasted them in a small cast iron pan. I've designated that small pan, just for him. I don't think I'd want to even attempt mixing anything in it to put on my food plate. After hearing about these breathing problems, I'm rethinking that reaper plant - not such a good idea. Mr C might convince me otherwise but if it doesn't grow, and if Mr C forgets about that, ....

Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 AM

7,569 posts, read 4,113,752 times
This is the OP: I suspect post nasal drip irritation to be the cause of my reaction to jalapenos. I don't eat them but I am working on getting to the source of my post nasal drip because this has caused other respiratory problems that had to be dealt with.

One, I started using a toothpaste that treats my allergies. This is prescribed by my ENT and has been helpful but I wish it could be better. What has really helped was removing carpet from my house and decluttering. Well, I did have to rehome my cat as well so that probably played a big role. Removing as much dust from the house is key as well as staying hydrated.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 854 times
Default Me too!

I found this post because I was curious if my allergy to jalepenos was common. They never bothered me and I grew peppers for years. I think I developed this concern after crossing two extremely hot peppers. I recall when I went to cut the result of my gardening experiment, the pepper burned my fingers. Not long after, I walked into a resturaunt and my throat started to close up. I determined that it was from the jalepenos they were just cutting. Now this happens if I eat anything with these or other hot peppers as well. It causes me to weese and feel like I can't breath, but it also goes away.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 716 times
elyn02, I had this exact same thing happen to me this afternoon as I was cooking. I've had hot peppers cause me to cough in the past, but have never experienced anything like this. It was terrifying.

Since you posted this several years ago, I'm wondering if you've had a similar experience again?

Thanks for any info!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:26 AM

7,569 posts, read 4,113,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyurman View Post
elyn02, I had this exact same thing happen to me this afternoon as I was cooking. I've had hot peppers cause me to cough in the past, but have never experienced anything like this. It was terrifying.

Since you posted this several years ago, I'm wondering if you've had a similar experience again?

Thanks for any info!
No. I actively stay away from jalapeños being cut. However, since then I have done many things to lessen the severity of my body's reaction. That took many doctors' visits to discover why my throat had become sensitive to things like hot peppers, perfumes, household cleaners, etc. I started allergy treatments and ended up having sinus surgery to reduce postnasal drip. Also, I had to change my daily routines to reduce stress and worry. The symptom my doctor focused on was the feeling of having a dry throat. They ruled out heartburn after placing me on medications that dealt with that. Finally, I drink mostly warm water and avoid iced drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness