U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,347,297 times

Advertisements

I have used raw jalapenos for many things and never had a reaction to them. However, today, I cut one open and then rinsed the seeds out with water. I placed it on the cutting board and turned away to face the opposite counter. But within a few seconds I started coughing which then quickly escalated to not being able to breathe at all and that lasted about 20 seconds (a very long 20 seconds).

During this short time, my 7 year old came in to the kitchen and guided me out as I clutched the back of her shirt. I grabbed my phone and tried dialing 911 but as we moved further away from the kitchen the reaction lessened. I was able to breath again. I really thought I was going to pass out in front of my daughter which actually terrified me more than passing out.

I instructed her to open the doors, turn on the water and disposal, place the jalapeno outside, while I sat as far as I could from the kitchen. She was not affected at all by it. Also, the AC was running the whole time and we have a vent that shoots straight down to the sink area.

Anybody else experience symptoms like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 PM

315 posts, read 771,950 times
wow, 2 threads on hot peppers the same day. pretty interesting.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,347,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
wow, 2 threads on hot peppers the same day. pretty interesting.
Oh, really? I would like to read the other one.
The most I could find after a search on the internet was a blog post by The Pioneer Lady. She mostly warned against handling jalapenos with bare hands, which I knew about. Towards the end she did end up mentioning how it can cause breathing problems but she was using large quantities. My gosh, my airways closed up and I did not expect them to open up. I really thought I was going to die by jalapeno. It sounds funny but I do feel lucky to be typing right now.

My daughter told me last night, "save your life and don't cut a jalapeno again."

Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 PM

186,675 posts, read 75,631,827 times
I eat them any way but from manure pile. Seriously, I suspect you have a "peanut style allergy". Ask an allergist. Search online. Google knows somethings but not all yet... I've only reacted once to a food. Mushroom Powder. Asian type food. Fun, not.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 PM

3,470 posts, read 2,465,324 times
I love jalapenos, but when I harvest them from our garden and bring them in to cook with, not only do I wear rubber gloves, but also a mask with a towel inside to prevent the fumes from going down my throat. I keep glasses on as well.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,178,944 times
Good that your daughter was there to help you. Jalapenos can obviously cause some unpleasant effects if they hit you the right way, but this does sound more like an allergic reaction to me.

You should probably have allergy tests done.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:49 AM

23,429 posts, read 22,415,032 times
No, not until now. There a lot of articles about it on the internet.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ng+hot+peppers

Old 07-10-2016, 02:18 PM

186,675 posts, read 75,631,827 times
We don't use fresh jalapenos but seldom and then it is outside on a grill where they are stuffed with cheese/sausage etc. So far so good for us. For the same flavor or nearly the same flavor there are totally mild jalapenos now. Flavor without the respiratory offenders. I bought some ground pepper from another forum member as a test. Instructs, Do not smell and handle with gloves. For a reference for comparison, if a jalapeno were Just a small toy car, these are a double trailer semi. Made from Carolina Reapers. Worlds hottest as of the dating. 1/16 of a teaspoon is the recommended amount for a pot of chili. A pinch goes a long long way. It's the flavor that makes the diff for me not the screaming heat. I've tried things that were awful for flavor but the heat was all there was. That is a liability in my book at any eating establishment.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 AM

70,128 posts, read 80,796,440 times
op, so sorry for your horrible experience. I have never had anything like that, but I will say, it is hard to judge which jalapenos will be overly hot and cause problems. Even coming from the same plant, they can different. I do use them often, yes sometimes the fume can be really strong. I heard on NPR news (foo show) not to long ago, it is better to use serranos (spelling) because their strength never varies.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,312 times
I had the same reaction today, but not to the point of not being able to breathe. It happens when cutting Jalapeños, and frying curry pastes in oil. I get an itching and mucous response in my lungs, forcing a cough response from irritation, and breathing is labored. Eating them isn't a problem though.

A quick search recommended wearing a wet bandana or mask. I'll try it, but after your experience I wouldn't suggest it for you without caution. Not all chili's are equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or