U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 PM

1,339 posts, read 641,046 times

Advertisements

I can cram a lot more greens into a smoothie than I would be able to eat in one sitting. And, since my husband is not a big fan of greens but loves them disguised in smoothies, I can get them into him that way too. I second the vitamix, we've had ours for about 5 years and it's still going strong. I use it at least once a day, usually twice. To save money, we bought a refurbished model, I think it was around $299. Still very pricey, but we've used the heck out of it already and plan to continue. It also makes great blended drinks, whips cream, purees soups, fruit for sauces, etc.

We also considered a juicer, but since you don't get fiber in your juice (like you do in smoothies, the whole thing is in the drink) and since the people I know who juiced stopped doing so because of the expense (it takes a tons of fruits and veggies to make a fairly small amount of juice) and because juicers are a big pain to clean, we decided to buy a blender instead and I am well pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 PM

706 posts, read 399,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thinking about buying a high powered blender to make healthy smoothies..but then, I wondered-- what's the difference between EATING your greens/fruits and nuts, etc. over turning them into liquids and DRINKING them??

Is there any proof that drinking them is better than eating them??

(trying to avoid buying yet another small appliance....)
I haven't read all the responses, so I apologize if I'm repeating information already written here. The plant's cell walls get broken down by the intense chopping action of the blender, therefore making digestion easier for many people (then again, you can always buy digestive enzymes specifically for plant foods and make sure you chew up your food very thoroughly). You can also usually take in many more veggies via smoothies than you could by eating them whole; it's much less work with chewing (though you should still kinda chew the smoothie a little before you swallow, to utilize the digestive enzymes in your saliva), and it takes up less space. Those are the reasons I know of that people turn their veggies/greens into smoothies.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM

5,875 posts, read 3,331,383 times
The problem I found with green protein drinks is that most people end up adding too many fruits in order to make it taste better. Fruits are healthy of course, but they tend to have a pretty high sugar content.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,174,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The problem I found with green protein drinks is that most people end up adding too many fruits in order to make it taste better. Fruits are healthy of course, but they tend to have a pretty high sugar content.
I agree. I don't care for the taste of green vegetables in juice form. Not a big deal since I love them served in other ways. To make a green veggie based juice palatable would take a lot more fruit than is reasonable in a day. I'm better off eating a large green salad with apples and blueberries in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness