U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I think I would feel intimidated by it, also, especially on the heavier days of bleeding. Do you have a problem on those days?
The cup I use holds as much as four super-plus tampons. Sometimes I have extremely heavy bleeding and have to change a tampon every 15 minutes. The cup lets me go an hour instead, which is long enough to exercise or to prepare a meal. After you use it for a couple of cycles, you start to be able to feel it slipping or to feel a bubble or two, which tells you it's time to empty it. Most women don't have such heavy bleeding and are fine emptying the cup every 12 hours. The other disadvantage to the cup is trying to empty it in a bathroom stall...again, not something most women will have to do. I keep a couple of baby wipes in my purse in case of a situation like that.

One big advantage to the cup is that there are marks inside so you can track the volume of your bleeding, if you need to. Instead of telling my doctor that I'm having another heavy bleeding episode, I can tell her how many ounces each day, which is much more precise than just saying heavy bleeding, because what one woman would consider heavy, another would consider normal. My gynecologist had never heard of menstrual cups until I told her about them, and she said she started recommending them to her patients after that.

I think the reason my daughter was intimidated by trying to use a menstrual cup is that she's a young teenager. You have to be fairly comfortable with your anatomy to use a cup and she's just not at that point yet.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 PM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
This is a good article from Dr. Mercola's site.
Mercola apparently does not have a clear understanding of what toxic shock syndrome is. The toxin that causes TSS is not contained in the tampon; it is produced by bacteria in the vagina.

Use of superabsorbent products and leaving them in place for long periods of time just holds menstrual blood in the vagina and provides a great growth medium for such bacteria.

TSS can happen with any product that facilitates such growth, including menstrual cups.

The cluster of TSS cases in Michigan is interesting, and most were associated with one brand, which comes in different absorbencies. It would be helpful to know if there is any indication that the bacteria involved have increased virulence and if the girls who used the tampons wore them for extended periods.

That is an entirely different concern from any adverse effects from chemicals in the tampon itself.

This might shed some light on that issue:

What you need to know about Tampon Safety

Mercola has some occasional good advice on diet. The rest of the site is mostly hogwash. He will be happy to sell you stuff, though. Lots of stuff.

Dr. Joseph Mercola Ordered to Stop Illegal Claims

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ti-gmo-groups/

Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 PM

706 posts, read 396,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Given that the initial post pointed folks to his website it seems his opinions and veracity on the subject are indeed on topic. I would suggest anyone concerned about toxic shock read more than one viewpoint along with scientific publications on the subject.
And where exactly did I tell people they shouldn't research more into the topic? I was presenting an article to open the subject of TSS. Mercola has NOTHING to do with the topic. And even if he did, he is a practicing physician in this country with decades of knowledge and experience, and you have *nothing* on him. He *wrote* about the subject, and much of what he says is valid--not to mention the fact that he includes references to scientific papers in ALL of his articles.

Again the topic is toxic shock syndrome---not Dr. Mercola. Stay on topic or leave, please.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The cup I use holds as much as four super-plus tampons. Sometimes I have extremely heavy bleeding and have to change a tampon every 15 minutes. The cup lets me go an hour instead, which is long enough to exercise or to prepare a meal. After you use it for a couple of cycles, you start to be able to feel it slipping or to feel a bubble or two, which tells you it's time to empty it. Most women don't have such heavy bleeding and are fine emptying the cup every 12 hours. The other disadvantage to the cup is trying to empty it in a bathroom stall...again, not something most women will have to do. I keep a couple of baby wipes in my purse in case of a situation like that.

One big advantage to the cup is that there are marks inside so you can track the volume of your bleeding, if you need to. Instead of telling my doctor that I'm having another heavy bleeding episode, I can tell her how many ounces each day, which is much more precise than just saying heavy bleeding, because what one woman would consider heavy, another would consider normal. My gynecologist had never heard of menstrual cups until I told her about them, and she said she started recommending them to her patients after that.

I think the reason my daughter was intimidated by trying to use a menstrual cup is that she's a young teenager. You have to be fairly comfortable with your anatomy to use a cup and she's just not at that point yet.
Thank you so much for that information. I hope it's helpful for women considering alternatives to tampons. Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Mercola apparently does not have a clear understanding of what toxic shock syndrome is. The toxin that causes TSS is not contained in the tampon; it is produced by bacteria in the vagina.
I'm sorry...where is your evidence for this? How exactly do you know that the materials and chemicals used in tampons aren't causing harm?

Quote:
Mercola has some occasional good advice on diet. The rest of the site is mostly hogwash. He will be happy to sell you stuff, though. Lots of stuff.

Dr. Joseph Mercola Ordered to Stop Illegal Claims

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ti-gmo-groups/
AGAIN....this is NOT a thread about Mercola; it's about TSS. And please, don't post links to quack sites like that since they are extremely biased and written by pharma and GM trolls--folks who are *obviously* losing money due to the natural and organic movement.

Getting into a pissing contest isn't very useful for a woman wanting to avoid TSS. They just need to know all the different ways to avoid it. Why can't you people just let me try to help others? Why do you have to troll every thread I post in or create? Go back under your bridges, for pete's sake.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 PM

As the originator of this thread, I would just like to say that this subject is important. You really don't want to be sticking things up your vagina that can't be trusted. Take a look at the ingredients in those tampons (see article in first post). Most chemicals used nowadays have NOT been tested by government agencies. They rely on the manufacturer to use safe ingredients--and of course, that's a *really* bad mistake since most companies are usually only doing business to make profit--not to serve their fellow man in a benevolent manner.

There are *thousands* of untested and possibly unsafe chemicals in our everyday products. People need to be aware of this because of long-term consequences. It's probably not going to hurt you to use a normal tampon once in a while, but I would personally try to figure out something else for the long-term, like those silicone cups or trusted organic tampons.

Half of my medical problems are based "down below" and I was one who used conventional tampons and pads all my life. It wasn't until after I stopped menstruating that I learned about all the chemicals and crap in "normal" products. I've since switched to Natracare organic products. I only need panty-liners now, of course, since I've not menstruated for 15 years.

Seriously, folks...please educate yourselves about all the toxins present in the "normal" products you buy at Wallyworld or wherever--whether it's food or personal-care products or household cleaning products. It really does make a difference if you want to live a long and healthy life.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 3,477,426 times
Quote:
I'm sorry...where is your evidence for this?
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/000653.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_shock_syndrome

Words have meaning, freedomdove. You can't define a medical term to mean whatever you wish it to mean. Toxic Shock Syndrome is a specific pathological entity, and its cause is bacterial.

Quote:
How exactly do you know that the materials and chemicals used in tampons aren't causing harm?
No one has said they aren't. But that harm (whatever its nature might be) would be a different thing than Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Using an organic tampon or a menstrual cup does not protect a woman from Toxic Shock Syndrome. The best protection is using external pads (which can be organic or washable/reusable cotton) to catch menstrual blood. If an internal collection device is used, it should be changed or emptied frequently to minimize bacterial growth. Menstrual cups also need to be cleaned thoroughly before being re-inserted for the same reason.

And it's important to know that Toxic Shock Syndrome can develop in settings other than mentruation! Since it's a potentially fatal condition, you don't want to overlook it. (Ask Jim Henson's family; he died from it.)

Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/000653.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_shock_syndrome

Words have meaning, freedomdove. You can't define a medical term to mean whatever you wish it to mean. Toxic Shock Syndrome is a specific pathological entity, and its cause is bacterial.No one has said they aren't. But that harm (whatever its nature might be) would be a different thing than Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Using an organic tampon or a menstrual cup does not protect a woman from Toxic Shock Syndrome. The best protection is using external pads (which can be organic or washable/reusable cotton) to catch menstrual blood. If an internal collection device is used, it should be changed or emptied frequently to minimize bacterial growth. Menstrual cups also need to be cleaned thoroughly before being re-inserted for the same reason.

And it's important to know that Toxic Shock Syndrome can develop in settings other than mentruation! Since it's a potentially fatal condition, you don't want to overlook it. (Ask Jim Henson's family; he died from it.)
Thank you for that information since it's important. I still think that women should avoid conventional tampons for the reasons outlayed in the original article I posted. I most certainly wouldn't have been inserting normal tampons in my vagina had I known what I know now.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
Quote:
As the originator of this thread, I would just like to say that this subject is important. You really don't want to be sticking things up your vagina that can't be trusted. Take a look at the ingredients in those tampons (see article in first post). Most chemicals used nowadays have NOT been tested by government agencies. They rely on the manufacturer to use safe ingredients--and of course, that's a *really* bad mistake since most companies are usually only doing business to make profit--not to serve their fellow man in a benevolent manner.

There are *thousands* of untested and possibly unsafe chemicals in our everyday products. People need to be aware of this because of long-term consequences. It's probably not going to hurt you to use a normal tampon once in a while, but I would personally try to figure out something else for the long-term, like those silicone cups or trusted organic tampons.

Half of my medical problems are based "down below" and I was one who used conventional tampons and pads all my life. It wasn't until after I stopped menstruating that I learned about all the chemicals and crap in "normal" products. I've since switched to Natracare organic products. I only need panty-liners now, of course, since I've not menstruated for 15 years.

Seriously, folks...please educate yourselves about all the toxins present in the "normal" products you buy at Wallyworld or wherever--whether it's food or personal-care products or household cleaning products. It really does make a difference if you want to live a long and healthy life.
Allergic reactions are certainly a possibility with tampons. They do not, however, cause Toxic Shock Syndrome. As another poster pointed out, bacteria already present in the vagina is the issue and people have gotten TSS while using menstral cups, "normal" tampons and organic tampons. And while not using tampons at all.

You are encouraging people use all organic products based on avoiding TSS when doing so will not have that result.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 06-11-2016 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2016, 06:19 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:
And where exactly did I tell people they shouldn't research more into the topic? I was presenting an article to open the subject of TSS. Mercola has NOTHING to do with the topic. And even if he did, he is a practicing physician in this country with decades of knowledge and experience, and you have *nothing* on him. He *wrote* about the subject, and much of what he says is valid--not to mention the fact that he includes references to scientific papers in ALL of his articles.

Again the topic is toxic shock syndrome---not Dr. Mercola. Stay on topic or leave, please.
You are the one who brought Mercola into this so HE has everything to do with the topic.

Mercola is a proven fraud and NOTHING on his website should be believed or referenced by anyone who truly wants to understand a given health subject....

As for including references to scientific papers in ALL his articles, here are the ahem "references" from the article you posted.....please point out which are "scientific papers"

1, 4 CNN November 13, 2015
2 CBS March 3, 2016
3 EcoWatch July 16, 2014
5 Womens Voices of the Earth, Detox the Box Campaign
6 Women’s Voices for the Earth, Always Pads Testing Results
7 60 Millions de Consommateurs February 23, 2016
8 The Independent February 25, 2016
9 WomenVoices.org Chem Fatale November 2013
10 Voltairenet.org May 23, 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness