Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times

Advertisements

This is a good article from Dr. Mercola's site.

Toxic Shock Syndrome - Tampon Toxins on the Rise

Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I don't trust everything I read on that website. But as far as toxic shock and tampon allergy, sometimes the symptoms are similar.

I've had a couple of allergic reactions to tampons. The first was to Tampax when I was 13. I got a high fever, fainting, red rash all over like a sunburn and confusion. I thought it was toxic shock but my mom wouldn't take me to the hospital because she said it would spoil the vacation, so I slept a couple of days (in the closet of the condo we were staying at, because I was cold and light hurt my eyes) and it went away.

The second time, I tried Playtex because that was all we sold where I worked, and I needed one right then. I got a red, sunburn-like rash and was very dizzy. I'm not sure if I had a fever. I removed the tampon and started to feel better a couple of hours later. The rash lasted a couple of days.

For years, Kotex was the only brand I could. Two years ago they changed something in it and I can't use them anymore. They cause really intense itching. That's better than my allergic reactions to other tampons but still not something I could tolerate.

I switched to a menstrual cup. It's so much cleaner, less expensive over time (a $30 cup lasts several years at least), nothing to throw away, and since the cup I use is silicone, I'm unlikely to develop an allergy to it.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't trust everything I read on that website.
I trust most everything on that website, as I've done research beyond it that confirms most of what it says. Dr. Mercola was a conventional doctor who got tired of not being able to help his patients with conventional means so he turned to natural/preventative medicine. He has changed his stance on some things over the years, but I think that just goes to show that he's flexible enough to keep up with current research rather than sticking to the status quo.

Quote:
But as far as toxic shock and tampon allergy, sometimes the symptoms are similar.

I've had a couple of allergic reactions to tampons. The first was to Tampax when I was 13. I got a high fever, fainting, red rash all over like a sunburn and confusion. I thought it was toxic shock but my mom wouldn't take me to the hospital because she said it would spoil the vacation, so I slept a couple of days (in the closet of the condo we were staying at, because I was cold and light hurt my eyes) and it went away.

The second time, I tried Playtex because that was all we sold where I worked, and I needed one right then. I got a red, sunburn-like rash and was very dizzy. I'm not sure if I had a fever. I removed the tampon and started to feel better a couple of hours later. The rash lasted a couple of days.

For years, Kotex was the only brand I could. Two years ago they changed something in it and I can't use them anymore. They cause really intense itching. That's better than my allergic reactions to other tampons but still not something I could tolerate.

I switched to a menstrual cup. It's so much cleaner, less expensive over time (a $30 cup lasts several years at least), nothing to throw away, and since the cup I use is silicone, I'm unlikely to develop an allergy to it.
I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, and I'm glad you found an alternative that works for you. The "Diva" type cups weren't available back when I was menstruating, or they were and I didn't know about them. I'm just glad I don't need tampons now. Since many of my cancerous problems are "down under", I do wonder if my many years of using conventional tampons and pads had something to do with it. I'm not going to blame them for my problems, but I won't discount that they have had something to do with them.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I trust most everything on that website, as I've done research beyond it that confirms most of what it says. Dr. Mercola was a conventional doctor who got tired of not being able to help his patients with conventional means so he turned to natural/preventative medicine. He has changed his stance on some things over the years, but I think that just goes to show that he's flexible enough to keep up with current research rather than sticking to the status quo.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, and I'm glad you found an alternative that works for you. The "Diva" type cups weren't available back when I was menstruating, or they were and I didn't know about them. I'm just glad I don't need tampons now. Since many of my cancerous problems are "down under", I do wonder if my many years of using conventional tampons and pads had something to do with it. I'm not going to blame them for my problems, but I won't discount that they have had something to do with them.
I had endometrial hyperplasia, but it was most likely caused by obesity throwing my hormones out of whack, and not by my many years of tampon use.

I've been trying to get my daughter to switch to a cup but she's intimidated by it.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Nothing should be trusted from the Mercola web site.

Mercola is an entrepreneur first and foremost.....his website is nonsense

Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
I don't trust everything I read on that website. But as far as toxic shock and tampon allergy, sometimes the symptoms are similar.

I agree with your assessment. Your experiences sound like allergic reaction and not toxic shock. Lots of people are allergic to things that don't bother others. I'm allergic to the fibers in Kleenex which is unfortunate since I'm also allergic to things that make my nose run. You were smart to find a product that works for you.

And I agree about Mercola's website. Very little (to no) credibility.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 06-10-2016 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I had endometrial hyperplasia, but it was most likely caused by obesity throwing my hormones out of whack, and not by my many years of tampon use.

I've been trying to get my daughter to switch to a cup but she's intimidated by it.
I think I would feel intimidated by it, also, especially on the heavier days of bleeding. Do you have a problem on those days?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And I agree about Mercola's website. Very little (to no) credibility.
ROFLMAO. Dr. Mercola was a conventional doctor for a very long time--as in, just as qualified as any other MD. He moved to natural and preventative medicine because his patients weren't healthy with conventional care. ALL of his articles have scientific references to back up his statements.

This isn't a thread about Mercola. It's a thread about toxic shock syndrome. How about we stay on topic, eh?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
This is a good article from Dr. Mercola's site.

Toxic Shock Syndrome - Tampon Toxins on the Rise
Quote:
This isn't a thread about Mercola. It's a thread about toxic shock syndrome. How about we stay on topic, eh?
Given that the initial post pointed folks to his website it seems his opinions and veracity on the subject are indeed on topic. I would suggest anyone concerned about toxic shock read more than one viewpoint along with scientific publications on the subject.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

I Trust more in Mercola's world than I would ever on the constant blasted TV pharma drug ads!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness