U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12663

Advertisements

This is included in top 10 Weird side effect drugs. I posted the whole list on the AARP post I have here.

Weird Side Effect 1: Birth Defects - Top 10 Weirdest Prescription Drug Side Effects | HowStuffWorks

I don't think my grandgirl took this drug Accutane but I know she got rid of gluten in the last year and her skin is clear...she's 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My daughter is sixteen and suffers from acne. She is seen by a dermatologist that I both like and respect. The dermatologist wants to treat her with accutane. He went through a lengthy disclosure with us and discussed side effects. The doctor compared patients in his clinical experience with what the disclosure said. The point that he impressed on us was that this drug is remarkably effective against acne. What got my attention about this is that no one in my family has ever had a prescription that required such a lengthy disclosure. Most of the side effects he was concerned about were to a fetus if my daughter had been pregnant. Apparently, two pregnancy tests are required before the medication can be given. One was given during this visit. The next occurs in a month when she returns.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone here taken accutane for acne and what were your experiences?

2. Did you have any significant side effects beyond a dry mouth, lips, and skin?

3. Do you have an adolescent you have allowed to go on accutane? What were their experiences?

4. Do you recommend accutane or not based on those experiences?

5. Did another medication work better for you or your child?

I've done some reading about this medicine. However, I'd really like to hear about some experiences.
Our younger son had bad acne. We tried over-the-counter medications and then something that was prescribed - I forget what - before Accutane. It really was remarkable. He had the very cracked lips, but the acne disappeared over a period of several weeks. And it stayed gone. This was about three years ago (he's now 17, turning 18 next month). And it's never reappeared.

We certainly had some hesitations about the drug. But it's also difficult watching a kid go off to middle school every day with such bad skin problems (and that's about the worst age for it, I think). But, yeah, the word 'remarkable' certainly comports with our experience.

Side note - the pricing was all over the place. At the time, I paid for my medications and then filed for reimbursement from insurance. One months, the cost was almost $800. The next month if was half that. Very variable. I don't know, I only had that file-myself insurance for about a year - maybe that's how medications go. But I thought it odd.

Good luck with your daughter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,794,302 times
Reputation: 1630
Accutane has caused suicide in a percentage of patients.
It has caused longterm clinical depression in even more patients.
I wouldn't risk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
13,142 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Reputation: 27254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Accutane has caused suicide in a percentage of patients.
It has caused longterm clinical depression in even more patients.
I wouldn't risk it.
Having terrible acne that can't be treated/cured via any other method causes depression and worse as well, especially if it affects your face. I have bipolar disorder and had terrible facial acne as well as acne on my face. I was embarrassed and felt very self conscious about the way I looked every time I walked out the door. I informed my dermatologist and my psychiatrist that I wanted to take Accutane.

My psychiatrist gave me the go-ahead, but made me come in to see her more often to monitor my medication and moods. I had no problems at all, nor do the majority of patients who take Accutane. And it is so effective in improving a patient's mental health long term by making them feel happier, more self confident, and boosting their self esteem that the treatment is worth the increased short term risk, IMO. The risk increase is very small unless the patient is already being treated for mental illness; in that case, careful monitoring is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 396,311 times
Reputation: 600
Personally, I would try the elimination route first before submitting to Accutane. There are most certainly people out there who can't digest or assimilate certain foods, which causes problems with the skin. Gluten and dairy being the first ones that come to mind, as others have mentioned. There are digestive enzymes for sale that can help people with intolerances should the person not want to give up said foods. Though it should be noted that some people who are "gluten intolerant" may actually just be glyphosate intolerant, and switching to organic foods may relieve the symptoms. Conventional dairy (and meat) products can also cause problems because of the growth hormones and excessive antibiotics. This may present as lactose intolerance, but can possibly be handled just by switching to organic dairy (preferably raw, IMO). Some people need to stick with goat's milk, since it's more easily assimilated by them than cow's milk.

I would also eliminate pretty much every single personal-care product from my house and go with natural cleaning products and homemade personal-care products. Conventional products contain thousands of untested chemicals and some of them may cause skin problems. My teenage son's acne has gone way down now that we clean his face with only oil (and lately just water). We also use a carbon/charcoal filter on the shower head. The natural oils in your skin will overproduce to compensate for over-cleansing with harsh chemicals and soaps. I save the natural soaps for really dirty/stinky/sweaty areas of the body (armpits, feet, privates).

You really have nothing to lose by trying elimination. It may take a while, but it's doable.

If the problem is pathogenic-related, you can use things like colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar (diluted). Aloe is very healing to the skin, as well. The first two can be spritzed on the face several times a day, as needed; the aloe can be applied at bedtime and any other time the opportunity arises. I would avoid makeup application since that can interfere with treatment, and can also be a reason for acne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 396,311 times
Reputation: 600
I should add that if you want instant results, you may want to stick with the pharma meds and lots of foundation makeup. Going natural means undoing all the chemicals and drugs and toxins in the world that have been accumulating all of one's life, and it can't be undone overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,794,302 times
Reputation: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Having terrible acne that can't be treated/cured via any other method causes depression and worse as well, especially if it affects your face. I have bipolar disorder and had terrible facial acne as well as acne on my face. I was embarrassed and felt very self conscious about the way I looked every time I walked out the door. I informed my dermatologist and my psychiatrist that I wanted to take Accutane.

My psychiatrist gave me the go-ahead, but made me come in to see her more often to monitor my medication and moods. I had no problems at all, nor do the majority of patients who take Accutane. And it is so effective in improving a patient's mental health long term by making them feel happier, more self confident, and boosting their self esteem that the treatment is worth the increased short term risk, IMO. The risk increase is very small unless the patient is already being treated for mental illness; in that case, careful monitoring is key.
Okay, let me make this clear:

Terrible acne does NOT cause "depression".

Illnesses and disfigurement and loss can cause SADNESS or embarrassment, or many other normal feelings, but this is not the same as clinical depression.

I know, because I had terrible acne for years and was upset about it.

However, I NEVER had clinical depression until I took Accutane almost 30 years ago (and have struggled with clinical depression ever since).

As someone with bipolar disorder, depression, or anyone even WITH A FAMILY HISTORY of mental health problems (giving you a genetic predisposition/vulnerability to mental illness), I think it's very risky to take Accutane.

Yes, I was "happy" that my skin cleared up with Accutane.
But...I was clinically depressed! (and have been on and off since).
Clinical depression is a chemical change in the body, that can be triggered by an environmental loss/change, but often is really a medical illness - in this case it can be triggered by Accutane.

A certain percentage of people who have taken Accutane have committed suicide.

Think very carefully before you take this drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2016, 06:02 AM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, let me make this clear:

Terrible acne does NOT cause "depression".

Illnesses and disfigurement and loss can cause SADNESS or embarrassment, or many other normal feelings, but this is not the same as clinical depression.

I know, because I had terrible acne for years and was upset about it.

However, I NEVER had clinical depression until I took Accutane almost 30 years ago (and have struggled with clinical depression ever since).

As someone with bipolar disorder, depression, or anyone even WITH A FAMILY HISTORY of mental health problems (giving you a genetic predisposition/vulnerability to mental illness), I think it's very risky to take Accutane.

Yes, I was "happy" that my skin cleared up with Accutane.
But...I was clinically depressed! (and have been on and off since).
Clinical depression is a chemical change in the body, that can be triggered by an environmental loss/change, but often is really a medical illness - in this case it can be triggered by Accutane.

A certain percentage of people who have taken Accutane have committed suicide.

Think very carefully before you take this drug.
Look, just because YOU had acne and have a history of depression doesn't make you an expert on all the causes

Acne ABSOLUTELY can lead depression...

"The connection between acne and depression has long been documented, especially in teens, but some attributed it to particular medications for acne such as isotretinoin (sold as Accutane, Clarus and others). But a recent study in the British Medical Journal found that the drug itself may not matter; according to Swedish researchers, acne itself raises the risk of depression and suicide attempt.
How acne and depression feed each other - CNN.com

Whether Accutane is truly responsible for depression is less clear and controversial...it is looking more like the depression risks previously attributed to accutane are in fact more likely related to the acne itself

The link between acne and depression? No controversy whatsoever and very clear connection

You say you still struggle with depression and it has been 30 years since you took Accutane and you still think the Accutane was to blame? 30 years later? That's not even possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
13,142 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Reputation: 27254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Accutane has caused suicide in a percentage of patients.
It has caused longterm clinical depression in even more patients.
I wouldn't risk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Having terrible acne that can't be treated/cured via any other method causes depression and worse as well, especially if it affects your face. I have bipolar disorder and had terrible facial acne as well as acne on my face. I was embarrassed and felt very self conscious about the way I looked every time I walked out the door. I informed my dermatologist and my psychiatrist that I wanted to take Accutane.

My psychiatrist gave me the go-ahead, but made me come in to see her more often to monitor my medication and moods. I had no problems at all, nor do the majority of patients who take Accutane. And it is so effective in improving a patient's mental health long term by making them feel happier, more self confident, and boosting their self esteem that the treatment is worth the increased short term risk, IMO. The risk increase is very small unless the patient is already being treated for mental illness; in that case, careful monitoring is key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, let me make this clear:

Terrible acne does NOT cause "depression".

Illnesses and disfigurement and loss can cause SADNESS or embarrassment, or many other normal feelings, but this is not the same as clinical depression.


I know, because I had terrible acne for years and was upset about it.

However, I NEVER had clinical depression until I took Accutane almost 30 years ago (and have struggled with clinical depression ever since).

As someone with bipolar disorder, depression, or anyone even WITH A FAMILY HISTORY of mental health problems (giving you a genetic predisposition/vulnerability to mental illness), I think it's very risky to take Accutane.

Yes, I was "happy" that my skin cleared up with Accutane.
But...I was clinically depressed! (and have been on and off since).
Clinical depression is a chemical change in the body, that can be triggered by an environmental loss/change, but often is really a medical illness - in this case it can be triggered by Accutane.

A certain percentage of people who have taken Accutane have committed suicide.

Think very carefully before you take this drug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Look, just because YOU had acne and have a history of depression doesn't make you an expert on all the causes

Acne ABSOLUTELY can lead depression...


"The connection between acne and depression has long been documented, especially in teens, but some attributed it to particular medications for acne such as isotretinoin (sold as Accutane, Clarus and others). But a recent study in the British Medical Journal found that the drug itself may not matter; according to Swedish researchers, acne itself raises the risk of depression and suicide attempt.
How acne and depression feed each other - CNN.com

Whether Accutane is truly responsible for depression is less clear and controversial...it is looking more like the depression risks previously attributed to accutane are in fact more likely related to the acne itself

The link between acne and depression? No controversy whatsoever and very clear connection

You say you still struggle with depression and it has been 30 years since you took Accutane and you still think the Accutane was to blame? 30 years later? That's not even possible
Exactly. There are many possible reasons Shoshana is depressed; a few months of Accutane treatment way back in the 1980s isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2016, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Elgin, IL
586 posts, read 406,812 times
Reputation: 324
I had terrible acne in high school (I'm 27 now-male) and saw a dermitologist multiple times for treatments. We used a couple of different topical creams but nothing ended up working till we did accutane.
I gotta say, I was skeptical at first but man did that stuff work. It did dry out my skin, lips and even my eyes felt dry at times but my cystic acne never came back afterwards. Now Occasionally I've still gotten smaller acne cysts or little bits of acne here and there but NOTHING like my acne was back in high school. Honestly I don't know what I would have done without the accutane. I know they are much more stringent about testing and monitoring women because of birth defects and pregnancy and I remember having my blood tested monthly but otherwise I've had no adverse effects. I actually remember the doctors telling me about the possibility of depression or even suicidal thoughts while being the on medication but I experienced the opposite as I started actually feeling much better about my skin/complexion because the acne was actually going away!
I've also grown up with friends/family that have sung the praises of being gluten free and how it will help your skin. I do think eliminating gluten and most processed foods/sugars really will help your skin and body, but I'm not completely convinced it would have cured my acne (or many peoples cystic acne). So all that to say, my experience with accutane was smooth and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top