U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM

593 posts, read 305,018 times

Advertisements

If u have never experienced acne so severe that you did not want to leave your house, then you have no idea what a miracle drug accutane is. It saved my adolescent son in his high school years. He is 40 today and says he would do it again. Acne is disabling. It is there. Accutane carries risks but few drugs do not. You weigh the risks. You make a decision. The trick is having a caring doctor who will manage the process with you and that includes routine blood work. Several months and my child's life was "born again".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 AM

586 posts, read 407,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
If u have never experienced acne so severe that you did not want to leave your house, then you have no idea what a miracle drug accutane is. It saved my adolescent son in his high school years. He is 40 today and says he would do it again. Acne is disabling. It is there. Accutane carries risks but few drugs do not. You weigh the risks. You make a decision. The trick is having a caring doctor who will manage the process with you and that includes routine blood work. Several months and my child's life was "born again".
I completely agree. Feel like your sons story is much like mine regarding accutane.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Look, just because YOU had acne and have a history of depression doesn't make you an expert on all the causes

Acne ABSOLUTELY can lead depression...

"The connection between acne and depression has long been documented, especially in teens, but some attributed it to particular medications for acne such as isotretinoin (sold as Accutane, Clarus and others). But a recent study in the British Medical Journal found that the drug itself may not matter; according to Swedish researchers, acne itself raises the risk of depression and suicide attempt.
How acne and depression feed each other - CNN.com

Whether Accutane is truly responsible for depression is less clear and controversial...it is looking more like the depression risks previously attributed to accutane are in fact more likely related to the acne itself

The link between acne and depression? No controversy whatsoever and very clear connection

You say you still struggle with depression and it has been 30 years since you took Accutane and you still think the Accutane was to blame? 30 years later? That's not even possible
It is possible.

Experiencing one episode of clinical depression makes you vulnerable to relapsing into depression for the rest of your life. That is common psychiatric knowledge.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. There are many possible reasons Shoshana is depressed; a few months of Accutane treatment way back in the 1980s isn't one of them.
It's a combination of genetic predisposition/family history of mental health/depression problems and the Accutane triggered it.

This is no just my opinion.

There have been class action lawsuits against the Accutane drug company by people who have been hospitalized for depression and survivors of those who have committed suicide after taking Accutane.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM

706 posts, read 396,641 times
My opinion is that it's best to try all other avenues before deciding that a pharmaceutical intervention is needed. There aren't any harmful side effects to the things I and others have mentioned as alternatives. If you've done everything and nothing has worked, then Accutane may be the answer.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM

4,626 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's a combination of genetic predisposition/family history of mental health/depression problems and the Accutane triggered it.

This is no just my opinion.

There have been class action lawsuits against the Accutane drug company by people who have been hospitalized for depression and survivors of those who have committed suicide after taking Accutane.

Actually it is an opinion, there is much debate on whether isotretinoin actually "causes" depression

There is no such controversy regarding cystic acne and depression, clear link or "common psychiatric knowledge" as you phrased it...

Whether a lawyer can "sue for something" doesn't prove causation, the thresh hold for evidence "linking" events is much lower than scientific evidence showing true causation...

Same reason there have been successful suits for autism "caused" by vaccination despite the clear lack of evidence supporting this claim. One only needs a sympathetic and poorly informed/educated jury...not hard to find in this country

"Consideration of the limited data available would suggest that the incidence of depression and suicide during isotretinoin therapy may be no greater than the background incidence. A causal relationship has not been demonstrated. The occurrence of an idiosyncratic reaction to isotretinoin producing major depression and suicidal ideation, as suggested by case studies, remains a possibility — although, if so, this would seem to be a relatively rare occurrence. Given the evidence suggesting that isotretinoin treatment may attenuate psychiatric associations of acne, and given the evidence that acne is often not a trivial complaint, withholding therapy because of concerns regarding depression or potential for suicide is not justified. "
Isotretinoin, depression and suicide: a review of the evidence

Old 11-09-2016, 10:56 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
I know I'm late to respond to this thread and maybe it's already been addressed, but my daughter is only 10 and has had acne for at least a year now. The doctor wanted to give her Differin which is a topical cream but our insurance won't pay for it till she's 11. It's $300! Anyway, it's getting worse and she's getting self conscious as she started middle school this year. I used to laugh at the Proactive commercials but then my daughter asked me to buy it. LET ME TELL YOU...that stuff works!! She looks amazing! I would totally try it before using Accutane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or