U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,102 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I need some advice. Maybe someone who is very knowledgeable with skin issues/treatments can help.

I've had some skin issues since I was a young teen. Now being older and still having the same issues with no sign of getting better, it has really started to bother me. The issues are quite personal (I have dark discoloration/spots and blackheads in my groin area, and little clogged pore bumps under my breasts and on my forehead. All of these issues I have had for many, many years, and have never cleared up.

I've seen 3 different dermatologists within the last 2 years. I've been unsuccessful with every one.

My first visit - I explained issues and showed him the areas of concern, which of course was embarrassing and uncomfortable. He prescribed 2 creams that I used for a long period of time and exactly as instructed, and it did not help at all.

I kind of knew that creams would probably not work because I seen both a doctor and dermatologist on 1 occasion back about 4 years ago who both said I would probably need antibiotics for the issues.

My second visit - I went back about 8 months later after having done more research on my skin issues and treatments for them. I expressed to him that I don't think that creams are going to help me, and that I would like to take a more serious approach such as a skin peel (on the groin and forehead area) or dermabrasion. He told me he did not offer these services and prescribed me with again with different creams, and said if this doesn't help that within 3-4 months to come back and he would prescribe me with antibiotics.

I kind of gave up on the issue for a while and about a month ago I decided to give a different office a try. I again had to show the areas of concern to the dermatologist and explain to her everything I could, and the list of creams I've used in the past that have not worked. Well to my surprise she prescribed...yet more creams. It was one of the same creams my old dermatologist gave me just at a higher % level, and a different one for my other area. Inside I was deeply frustrated thinking that I will never get these issues resolved.

She said to try these creams out regularly as instructed for the next couple months and in the meantime she set me up an appt. with another dermatologist who specializes in facials, peels, etc. But she let me know up front that she will probably not be able to do anything for me as the areas of concern are so private and delicate, and that she didn't know if chemical peels can be applied anywhere but the face. But she did let me know that she may be able to extract the bumps from the clogged pores, so I guess there's some hope.

Surely there are many people with private skin problems who get treatment? I understand it's embarrassing, but I hate having to see many different dermatologists, having to show them my embarrassing area, spending money on co-pays and a bunch of creams that don't work.

I feel like my issues are not being taken seriously. I know there are many different skin treatments other than creams that are effective, I don't know why none of the people I've seen have wanted to try anything different? I mean I have OK insurance, but I have explained that money is not a problem and I will be willing to pay for something more effective as these issues are bothering me greatly.

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated..Sorry for such a long post, I wanted to explain in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 12:26 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,879,110 times
For me it is look like pigment inflammation but it is hard to say anything with out seeing the skin. But some skin issues need antibiotics.
For discoloration of skin you can apply pure aloe vera leave it for 20 min and wash it with out soap. And also you can use lemon as well apple cyder vinegar on the discoloration areas but you need to have bit of patience. some spots what you carry from birth hard to fade away.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,619,243 times
You need to stop quitting the treatments they give you. Doctors/insurance will start with the lowest dose of stuff because there is less chance of side effects (sometimes lower cost).

If the first treatment doesn't work they move you up to something stronger.

When I first started symptoms of RA: anti-inflammatories -> steroids -> biologics

The reasoning is that you don't use a nuke to bomb a house.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or