U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,044,353 times

Advertisements

One bowl of Shredded wheat every day...

no problems..

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,084,660 times
I had triple by-pass in 2010 and in hospital and 18 days in rehab they gave among other pills an iron pill which upon release had me plugged up,had to go to ER and after had a round with go-lytte,horrible.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 AM

1,829 posts, read 853,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A cup of coffee or tea usually work for me. People need to get fiber--vegetables, fruit, and not so much white flour food.

Word of warning: laxatives can be "habit forming" (making you dependent upon them) so if your dr says to take a laxative, the safest ones for long term use appear to be Miralax (powder that mixes in with a tall glass of liquid--could even use a liquid the person enjoys, like fruit juice or a smoothie--or stool softeners like Colace. Ongoing use of Cascara Sagrada and Milk of Magnesia can cause dependence, which makes matters worse!
I just want to say that I think regular use of products like Miralax can be extremely dangerous for some people and is over prescribed.... although I think you can get it OTC now.

Problem with many older folks is that they eat very little and still want to have a "normal" BM every day.

But I do agree that good digestion and regular elimination are hallmarks of good health.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Laxatives at one time were the #1 selling medication, but who knows, could be pain pills and laxatives. I've seen too much grief by not being regular and for me it's every day.

If one is going to be obsessed, elimination is a good one.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM

4,791 posts, read 4,677,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I just want to say that I think regular use of products like Miralax can be extremely dangerous for some people and is over prescribed.... although I think you can get it OTC now.

Problem with many older folks is that they eat very little and still want to have a "normal" BM every day.

But I do agree that good digestion and regular elimination are hallmarks of good health.
That was my grandmother's problem. She barely ate and was severely underweight but obsessed with going to the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Laxatives at one time were the #1 selling medication, but who knows, could be pain pills and laxatives. I've seen too much grief by not being regular and for me it's every day.

If one is going to be obsessed, elimination is a good one
No one should be obsessed with elimination. My grandmother was and she started giving herself regular enemas and taking stool softeners because she couldn't go. (See above---she was barely eating.) Which helped contribute to her regular UTIs. And her last UTI led to sepsis and she died. No one should be obsessed with anything.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Ok, I've had two bowel blockages in my life and I'll be 78 this August. I work to keep regular with clean water all day, extra green veggies...prunes, extra magnesium and extra Vit C. And coconut oil to keep more oils in my system. I cannot imagine a day without a BM. Some days I have two nice ones.

I heard from some other friends yesterday one of our bridge ladies is in the hospital with bowel blockage surgery!!! Not Good.

An old friend just called me and we were to meet for dinner today and she was in the hospital yesterday for a huge round of tests as she was having a lot of stomach pain....doctors found nothing wrong!!! But she said she was backed up and no BM for 2 days....GRrrrrrrrr

So I did my preaching to her about what I do to keep regular and she knows that I had bowel blockages in my life as I've known her over 50 yrs and she tried to help me when I had the first one probably 40 yrs ago.

Keep Things MOVING.....jam
good advise, but I will tell you, according to 2 medical professionals in our family, one a nurse practitioner and one a doctor it isn't necessary to have a BM daily. It is more important just to be regular. Some people have one a day, some like you even two. others skip every few days. I am like you, normally every morning but there are days when I skip.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband had a problem like that before...went to the ER with chest pain and it turned out to be constipation. I had quit cooking all the heavy starchy meals that we used to have and switched to cooking chicken breast or fish every day, with a very small serving of mashed potato on the side and a large serving of veggies. The hubby won't eat vegetables at all, except for cauliflower if it's disguised as rice. So he was just eating the chicken and mashed potato every day, and eating saltine crackers at work and maybe a couple slices of toast for breakfast, and I guess it acted like cement in his bowels. They told him to take laxatives and drink apple juice every day for two weeks and the laxative they prescribed didn't work. So I got him some milk of magnesia...what my kids refer to as the blue bottle of doom...and that helped. He still won't eat vegetables, so at least once a week I cook something starchy and greasy like enchiladas or spaghetti and that seems to prevent the problem.

Some foods seem to be especially good for preventing that problem. Cantaloupe and avocado are two that work well.
yes, we try to eat an avocado every few days and in the spring and summer lots of cantaloupe. I too, have heard apple juice works great. Hubby loves his prunes.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM

4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good advise, but I will tell you, according to 2 medical professionals in our family, one a nurse practitioner and one a doctor it isn't necessary to have a BM daily. It is more important just to be regular. Some people have one a day, some like you even two. others skip every few days. I am like you, normally every morning but there are days when I skip.
You are correct, it is not necessary to have a BM daily and because someone goes a day or two without a BM that does not indicate a problem

Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, of course, different opinions here and that is just fine. For me, I feel better and not bloated with regular daily movements. I've had problems with constipation too much of my life and don't want to go there again and again.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Well, of course, different opinions here and that is just fine. For me, I feel better and not bloated with regular daily movements. I've had problems with constipation too much of my life and don't want to go there again and again.
Oh, I am not questioning you and I understand what you are saying. I am simply, like others point out that constipation does not cause bowel blockage and it isn't necessary to have a BM daily. For many every few days is normal. It is more, being concerned about the abnormal habit. My mil was like you and hubby s to a degree, but he does realize there are days when it just won't happen and he accepts this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or