U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM

18,891 posts, read 6,176,358 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've had two bowel blockages in my life and I'll be 78 this August. I work to keep regular with clean water all day, extra green veggies...prunes, extra magnesium and extra Vit C. And coconut oil to keep more oils in my system. I cannot imagine a day without a BM. Some days I have two nice ones.

I heard from some other friends yesterday one of our bridge ladies is in the hospital with bowel blockage surgery!!! Not Good.

An old friend just called me and we were to meet for dinner today and she was in the hospital yesterday for a huge round of tests as she was having a lot of stomach pain....doctors found nothing wrong!!! But she said she was backed up and no BM for 2 days....GRrrrrrrrr

So I did my preaching to her about what I do to keep regular and she knows that I had bowel blockages in my life as I've known her over 50 yrs and she tried to help me when I had the first one probably 40 yrs ago.

Keep Things MOVING.....jam

Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,923,477 times
My husband had a problem like that before...went to the ER with chest pain and it turned out to be constipation. I had quit cooking all the heavy starchy meals that we used to have and switched to cooking chicken breast or fish every day, with a very small serving of mashed potato on the side and a large serving of veggies. The hubby won't eat vegetables at all, except for cauliflower if it's disguised as rice. So he was just eating the chicken and mashed potato every day, and eating saltine crackers at work and maybe a couple slices of toast for breakfast, and I guess it acted like cement in his bowels. They told him to take laxatives and drink apple juice every day for two weeks and the laxative they prescribed didn't work. So I got him some milk of magnesia...what my kids refer to as the blue bottle of doom...and that helped. He still won't eat vegetables, so at least once a week I cook something starchy and greasy like enchiladas or spaghetti and that seems to prevent the problem.

Some foods seem to be especially good for preventing that problem. Cantaloupe and avocado are two that work well.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM

19,641 posts, read 53,545,549 times
Prunes always fixed any issues I had.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
A cup of coffee or tea usually work for me. People need to get fiber--vegetables, fruit, and not so much white flour food.

Word of warning: laxatives can be "habit forming" (making you dependent upon them) so if your dr says to take a laxative, the safest ones for long term use appear to be Miralax (powder that mixes in with a tall glass of liquid--could even use a liquid the person enjoys, like fruit juice or a smoothie--or stool softeners like Colace. Ongoing use of Cascara Sagrada and Milk of Magnesia can cause dependence, which makes matters worse!

Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 PM

13,411 posts, read 7,152,384 times
Eh..."backed up" just because no BM for TWO whole days?! People are obsessed with having a BM every day...some even have to have it a the same time every day and if they don't get all anxious about it. As long as you're eating properly and drinking enough water, no need to worry if you skip a day here or there.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 PM

18,891 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Personally, I DO NOT want to skip a day. Elimination is critical. The one person I mentioned ended up with surgery and one with a day full of tests due to "backed up"... Not going FOR ME gets pretty uncomfortable.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,463,852 times
An apple a day really does keep the doctor away!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 PM

21,526 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Severe constipation can result in a condition called fecal impaction, in which a large amount of unexpelled stool dries out and becomes impossible to eliminate. This is treated by having someone insert a gloved finger into the impacted material to break it up, followed by enemas and laxatives. The need for surgery due to impaction would be extremely uncommon.

Most bowel blockages have nothing to do with constipation. They can happen due to tumors (including cancers), diverticulitis, hernias, and adhesions (scar tissue). Adhesions are the most common cause of small bowel obstruction and cancers the most common for the large bowel.

Having a daily movement is not essential; many people are on a less frequent schedule. If the stool is easy to pass, it makes no difference how often your trips to the bathroom are.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 AM

4,788 posts, read 4,675,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Personally, I DO NOT want to skip a day. Elimination is critical. The one person I mentioned ended up with surgery and one with a day full of tests due to "backed up"... Not going FOR ME gets pretty uncomfortable.
That's true---but I really wouldn't call not going to the bathroom for two days "backed up." Going every other day (and sometimes even more) is normal for some people. I agree with reneeh---some people are too focused on it. My grandmother was like that and as she aged, she was so obsessed with it in more of a neurotic way and it ended up causing her problems.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,158,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Prunes always fixed any issues I had.
They certainly can be a big help! Nothing more irritating and upsetting as blockages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or