U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 AM

10,064 posts, read 9,313,800 times

Advertisements

hi there. found out I have stage 2 hypertension. I'm 40, in decent shape, exercise and weightlift to get in even better shape. For the longest time I had normal readings but for the past several months the blood pressure escalated to dangerous levels (150+/110+). I'm not sure what caused this - I was on prescription strength ibuprofen for osteoarthritis for over 9 months until I weaned myself off of it due to fear that it caused my pressure to elevate. However, going off the NSAID did not bring it down to normal levels. Nothing seemed to work. If anything, it seems to steadily rise to the point where it is almost a hypertensive emergency situation. My doctor prescribed Losartan to help bring things under control. I am hesitant about taking any drug that is lifelong. Plus I've researched the side effects and they concerned me. I put off taking the drug for several weeks until I realized that I was a walking time bomb who could have a stroke/heart attack at any time. So now I've started therapy and my questions are:

1. what are some of the side effects that you have experienced (if any)?
2. does it cause water retention/weight gain? (I ask this because I've tried very hard to regain my healthy weight and would hate to have a drug cause me to gain)
3. how does losartan affect exercise? how much water should i drink to stay hydrated and not experience dizziness.
4. anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks!
FWIW, HBP is a genetic malady but I thought I'd be older before I'd start to experience anything. sigh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:11 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
I was just talking to an older friend, she is 88 and her BP is always low...but in the recent doc's office it was elevated...this is ALWAYS true for me....the doc wants to put her on a med and again her BP has been low all her life. The doc told her to take it 10 times at home and write down her readings....she is doing that. You would be wise to do that at home, monitor your own...watch the sodium and get enough potassium. Cut back on caffeine if you use it. I've talked about this issue a lot.

Pain meds can elevate BP.

Mukta Vati and I get it from an Indian pharmacy from amazon could be a good start for you. I'm taking it now, as my D.O. gets a higher BP reading and she gets all alarmed...

Celery sticks are good to snack on as they are a diuretic and an oil in celery lowers blood pressure. There are many natural diuretics one can work with. Dandelion is one to check into.

The meds can be a lifetime thing....I know this issue as I've worked with it for many years. Get into meditation as this can change the whole brain functions. And breath work too.

BTW: The reading you mentioned above, how long did it stay there, did you do a test 10-15 minutes later etc. Be very on top of working on this on your own vs getting on lifetime drugs.

If you consume alcohol, cut down, coffee too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-13-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
And no smoking if you do.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
hi there. found out I have stage 2 hypertension. I'm 40, in decent shape, exercise and weightlift to get in even better shape. For the longest time I had normal readings but for the past several months the blood pressure escalated to dangerous levels (150+/110+). I'm not sure what caused this - I was on prescription strength ibuprofen for osteoarthritis for over 9 months until I weaned myself off of it due to fear that it caused my pressure to elevate. However, going off the NSAID did not bring it down to normal levels. Nothing seemed to work. If anything, it seems to steadily rise to the point where it is almost a hypertensive emergency situation. My doctor prescribed Losartan to help bring things under control. I am hesitant about taking any drug that is lifelong. Plus I've researched the side effects and they concerned me. I put off taking the drug for several weeks until I realized that I was a walking time bomb who could have a stroke/heart attack at any time. So now I've started therapy and my questions are:

2. does it cause water retention/weight gain? (I ask this because I've tried very hard to regain my healthy weight and would hate to have a drug cause me to gain)
3. how does losartan affect exercise? how much water should i drink to stay hydrated and not experience dizziness.

Thanks!
FWIW, HBP is a genetic malady but I thought I'd be older before I'd start to experience anything. sigh.
For most hypertension there is no identifiable cause, so it is not unusual to see it in someone who is fit.

Do not worry about side effects until you have them. Many people do not. If you have questions about any symptoms that develop, talk to your doctor about them.

I would discuss your exercise regimen with your doctor. You may need to back off a bit until your pressure is normalized, particularly the lifting. Your BP can go up significantly during lifts depending on what you are doing. This medication has a tendency to raise blood potassium levels, so you might want to watch the sports drinks with added electrolytes, too. With light to moderate exercise, your blood pressure may benefit, and for hydration all you may need is plain water.

Fluid retention is not a big side effect with losartan but may occur. If that is a problem, depending on what your BP is doing adding a diuretic is a consideration. A factor to be considered is whether the pressure could stand to be further lowered. An alternative is to try a different class of medication.

The goal is to control the BP without overdoing it and causing symptoms from too low a pressure, which can make you dizzy when you get up from lying down or sitting up. With any BP med it may take a few weeks to see maximum effect. It may take a bit of trial and error before you find the right drug and dose. Just work with your doctor.

Get a BP machine and learn how to use it. Take it to your doctor's office and have them compare the reading they get with one from your device.

Instructional Video - Monitoring Blood Pressure at Home

Some people are more sensitive to salt than others. There is no way to know whether you will be one of those who benefits from decreasing sodium intake, but a good diet to start with is DASH. you can customize it to your food preferences, and a consult with a nutritionist can help if you are avoiding any major food groups, like grains.

DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure - Mayo Clinic

As you are aware, the potential complications from hypertension can be severe. This is not the time to play around with supplements to see if you can avoid medication.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
I had hypertension in the 190/114 range. 40s, low average weight, non smoking, exercise regularly, etc.

Of course I took the prescription to lower it, that's kinda a no brainer. I wasn't worried if I may gain 10 pounds instead of a heart attack or stroke.

I don't take your prescription, but I've had no side effects from the one I use.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 PM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
My husband takes Losartan. He has not gained any weight - in fact, he's lost weight now that his hypertension is under control. He feels and looks much better.

His only side effect has been some minor and transitory pain in his lower back and legs - and yes, this is a stated possible side effect of the drug. But it's not debilitating and it's easily treated with an athletic sort of topical rub, so it's worth it for the lowered blood pressure.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Just talked to a neighbor who is 89, she has had lower blood pressure forever but recently is having a harder time with breath etc...now she is 89. And has a lot of other health issues...

She avoids pharma drugs as much as she can but some times has to take them. One for glaucoma. She even avoids pain meds, although she took Midol for many early years and is pretty deaf she claims from that otc drug.

She was sent to a cardiologist and the new doctor wants her on Losartan so she's going to get it at costco, otherwise it would cost her and arm and a leg at her regular pharmacy. Again, she takes so few drugs and many supps so has no drug insurance....OK

Have you started on this medicine and how you doing with it.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,019,005 times
Losartan potassium elevates my potassium, to borderline high even above normal levels, AND lowers my sodium to borderline low and below normal levels. Have to frequently check those levels. Another thing to worry about.

No other side effects.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,371,670 times
I've been on Losartan Potassium 25mg. for a week now. I'm liking it so far. I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg 2 months ago by my primary and had all kind of scary side effects; from restless leg, insomnia, anxiety and cold fingers and toes. I was so scared of what Losartan had to offer that I waited until the weekend so as not to interrupt my work day.

So far I haven't notice any side affects besides an initial twinge in my lower back, but nothing since. I was referred to a cardiologist and this is what he prescribed for me to go along with the HCTZ 25mg I've already been taking for the past 12 years. I'm 44 and my BP never went back down after delivering my last baby. I'm going to go for lab work a week before I go back in to see him to do a stress test and echo test. I mentioned to him that I liked to do kickboxing and he was encouraging me to keep it up. My BP has risen to 145/100. Once he evaluates how this Losartan is working for me, he will put me on a combination pill that contains HCTZ and Losartan. My pressure has been erratic from 120/80 to 145/103. He did say that I'm too young for it be that high. Like you, I was hoping to use an osteopathic approach to good health but over the past three months I've come to the conclusion that those of us on BP meds are basically walking around on pharmaceutical life support.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:24 AM

715 posts, read 412,316 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Howdy - my 'story' matches yours, but I'm now 50 (running 10 years ahead of you).

1. TAKE the med; I'm 50 now and feel as good as I did in my 30's (feeling great allowed me to excercise a lot and loose weight to match what I weighed in my 30's) !!! no side affects at all for me; losartan is a very specific/targeted med - even better it's avail as generic for under $30 for 90 day supply at Sams 50mg/12.5 (hct).
2. IF you have any water-ret issues, ask doc to script losartan HCT (the HCT part is diuretic - will help shed water & salt).
3. I sleep better - high BP was causing night-time nasal swelling for me, & snoring - thought I'd need APAP machine - not any more - sleep great, and wake feeling rested.
4. I have more energy now in my 50's than I did in all my 40's.

5. fwiw, when first diag. w/HBP in my early 40's I spent couple years trying to 'get it under control WITHOUT the meds' - (excercise/diet/suppliments/herbals, etc) nothing helped, and it was a miserable couple of years - a waste of time & effort - WISH I'd started the losartan sooner! True, I do exercise & eat right now, but it is FUN and not miserable now.

Only other advise I can give is to stand-up slowly when on the med; I spent so many years 'living' with the HBP that standing up quickly with my bp 'normal' (under control with med) will make me a little dizzy for a few seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness