U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 07:45 PM

18,765 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

Of course not, if I had a great outcome, I would not be talking about it. It's the main focus of my life, what is left. And those who have done good, they don't hang around us with crappy outcomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:52 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not looking for sympathy and I KNOW I'm not the only one with problems from replacements, I say this all the time and then there are some who say how so many are so great. I haven't met the great ones.

I mentioned my neighbor who fell the other night and broke her shoulder, she was struggling from the hip replacement and now this, her decline I fear. She's been so strong and tries so hard BUT....stuff happens and she can't try to live with a broken shoulder, so there will be surgery..she's 89 and has no family here to help her.

People end up so Off Balance from these replacements, I'm one. I have to be SO careful when I start to walk or I'll go down.

It's hard to be happy and light when one deals with a surgery mess. And there are mega surgery messes on the reports.
You must not hang around many folks with hip replacements because 95% of them are "great ones" you are in the minority whether you care to believe it or not....and it doesn't really require your belief anyway because it is a FACT

And please spare us your "but everyone on the message boards I frequent has also had a bad result" retort

You've been told multiple times on these boards by multiple people, not just me, what you read on those boards does NOT represent the majority of cases..

Its a self selected minority of folks who have had poor results (or perceived poor results) folks who are happy with their results don't go to message boards to crow about and THEY are in the majority...the VAST majority

Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 AM

6,996 posts, read 6,629,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Can anyone here share their experience with the elderly and recovery from surgery?

My 90 year old friend Angie had her second hip replacement surgery in Feb '16 a few months after her first. We eat together at meal times along with another friend, Joyce. We've noticed that Angie's cognitive function has deteriorated significantly, she sleeps 18 hours/day, but still has a healthy appetite.
This is a lady that is truly strong but not so much anymore. Angie uses a walker as her hips slowly heal. Her family keeps her involved and do a tremendous job helping her however they are not with her as much as Joyce and I are. Our concern is founded.

Angie used to go out and walk distances before her hips got damaged from falling.
Now she can't remember what we talked about less than a minute ago. She is always tired and sleeps all the time. We are concerned about her and want to help somehow. We are afraid it is her decline to the end.
Probably have her tested for UTI now and then more often.

Her mobility has declined and she's less able to take care of personal hygiene.

We noticed smaller declines when my mom started to have hip problems and a much larger decline after she went into the nursing home to rehab after two falls. She had 6 UTIs in three months in her second rehab, all of which had to be reported by me.

I looked back several years and had remarked to her several times that her body smelled of urine. Someone should be making sure she's getting cleaned up every morning or whenever she's incontinent.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You must not hang around many folks with hip replacements because 95% of them are "great ones" you are in the minority whether you care to believe it or not....and it doesn't really require your belief anyway because it is a FACT

And please spare us your "but everyone on the message boards I frequent has also had a bad result" retort

You've been told multiple times on these boards by multiple people, not just me, what you read on those boards does NOT represent the majority of cases..

Its a self selected minority of folks who have had poor results (or perceived poor results) folks who are happy with their results don't go to message boards to crow about and THEY are in the majority...the VAST majority
Could be I'm in the minority, but I LIVE WITH what the mess from this surgery. I'm happy for those with good outcomes, I was SUPPOSED to be one of them. As I've said you really take your chances once we are being cut...and yes a crapshoot. There are MANY with negative lifechanging outcomes.

One has to be strongminded to be a doctor/surgeon so they can divorce themselves from their patients who are left with messes to deal with....as they DO HARM. But I know, we often Elect these surgeries. I only HOPE I can make it to my end with no more cutting on my body.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:02 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,725,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Apparently YOU aren't aware that euthanasia is not legal anywhere in the United States.....no lawyer can draw up an advanced directive to change that fact...

PAD or physician aid in dying is legal in 4 or 5 states only....

So it doesn't matter if "someone is aware of it and someone does it" it can't be done legally

I'm just saying that's the way IT SHOULD BE. Not the way it is. It's not the 17th century anymore. We KNOW where babies come from...etc.

BTW, since you brought doctors into the discussion, what does this have to do with a doctor? Will lawyers tell doctors what they have to do or should/could be involved in? Do doctors tell lawyers how to practice law?

Have you ever asked a doctor or two if they were ever asked if the word "medical" could be added to the word "marijuana?" I have. Like at least 30 of them. None were ever asked if it was OK to put the word "medical" in front of "marijuana." None. Not a one! Hmmm. Wonder who came up with that one?

Undertakers are the perfect bunch to take up euthanasia as a subspecialty. Look at their sites. So-o-o sensitive caring and knowledgeable about death. Cremation as a new "in thing" has already put 50% of the undertakers in my area out of business. On to plan B, I always say.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I'm just saying that's the way IT SHOULD BE. Not the way it is. It's not the 17th century anymore. We KNOW where babies come from...etc.

BTW, since you brought doctors into the discussion, what does this have to do with a doctor? Will lawyers tell doctors what they have to do or should/could be involved in? Do doctors tell lawyers how to practice law?

Have you ever asked a doctor or two if they were ever asked if the word "medical" could be added to the word "marijuana?" I have. Like at least 30 of them. None were ever asked if it was OK to put the word "medical" in front of "marijuana." None. Not a one! Hmmm. Wonder who came up with that one?

Undertakers are the perfect bunch to take up euthanasia as a subspecialty. Look at their sites. So-o-o sensitive caring and knowledgeable about death. Cremation as a new "in thing" has already put 50% of the undertakers in my area out of business. On to plan B, I always say.
Whoa, I never thought about that one, cremation, putting all the mortuaries out of a LOT of business..they've done great for a long long time. One friend spent $30K each on her parents funerals. They both went into a vault at a upper class cemetary..we've digressed. I'm going over the Pacific...

Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Quote:
Could be I'm in the minority, but I LIVE WITH what the mess from this surgery. I'm happy for those with good outcomes, I was SUPPOSED to be one of them. As I've said you really take your chances once we are being cut...and yes a crapshoot. There are MANY with negative lifechanging outcomes.

One has to be strongminded to be a doctor/surgeon so they can divorce themselves from their patients who are left with messes to deal with....as they DO HARM. But I know, we often Elect these surgeries. I only HOPE I can make it to my end with no more cutting on my body.
My husband had both hips replaced in his mid 60's. The first did not go well. He had to have a second surgery to correct the first one. I will not get into here the problems he encountered with all the pain medications he was given for that in addition.

He went to a different practice for the second. That one was done Robotically and he had no problems at all. Imagine that a Robot did a better job than a human Surgeon???? As an aside, he also told them not to give him all that Oxycodone "crap" after the second replacement.

Again, he was in his 60's. I find it absurd they would subjecting someone in their 90's to this kind of elective quality of life surgery. It's not necessary to keep someone alive.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,753,541 times
Quote:
...I had a hip replacement at 72 and I've really declined in so many ways and I'm 78 soon. Many regrets about do this ELECTIVE surgery.

I've read a lot of your posts complaining about the complications of your hip replacement surgery. But I dont recall ever reading WHY you had the surgery. You seem to be very anti-doctors and it would seem you'd, therefore, be anti-elective surgery. So would you mind sharing why you decided to have it?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 PM

duplicate

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-24-2016 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: double

Old 06-24-2016, 02:23 PM

Starting in about 2009 I ended up with horrid groin pain in right groin. Started to wake me up at nights...I deal with lifelong OA so thought it was OA groin pain. I was so against surgery period due to one: fibro mess and OA mess and surgery is traumatic and can cause more trauma. So I worked long and hard to NOT do surgery. When I fianally went to the surgeon and his name came to me from a person who had both hips done and she praised him.

The xray showed right groin area was jagged bone chips, spurs and the left groin area was smooth....

In retrospect I don't know if anything else could be done to get rid of the spurs etc....but I decided to go for it and really thought I'd be helped.

Helped I was -- no more groin pain.

But at least 3 major complications from the surgery. So I don't know which is worst before or after. I think I walked more before surgery.

Since, this surgery, I've read and talked to so many with complications and there are plenty without. I hope to never have a knife cut me again...a real crapshoot when one has done it and has negative outcomes. So far no infections, I don't think.

My knee is so worse since leg is so much shorter but I can't imagine a knee surgery. So I'm closer MAYBE to Prolozone injections...insurance does not help pay for this work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness