U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:32 PM

19,073 posts, read 6,294,123 times

Advertisements

PS: to the above

Before I opted to do this Anterior surgery, most recent development in this surgery, I talked to 4-5 real people who had this surgeon I went with and they all talked about good outcomes.

I did NOT search the net for outcomes from people all over the place....I would have gotten so much more info obviously..so I didn't have all that added fear going in.

But here I am today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 03:35 PM

5,685 posts, read 3,225,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Starting in about 2009 I ended up with horrid groin pain in right groin. Started to wake me up at nights...I deal with lifelong OA so that Oh, groin OA. I was so against surgery period due to one: fibro mess and OA mess and surgery is traumatic and can cause more trauma. So I worked long and hard to NOT do surgery. When I fianally went to the surgeon and his name came to me from a person who had both hips done and she praised him.

The right groin area was jagged bone chips, spurs and the left groin area was smooth....

In retrospect I don't know if anything else could be done to get rid of the spurs etc....but I decided to go for it and really thought I'd be helped.

Helped I was -- no more groin pain.

But at least 3 major complications from the surgery. So I don't know which is worst before or after. I think I walked more before surgery.

Since, this surgery, I've read and talked to so many with complications and there are plenty without. I hope to never have a knife cut me again...a real crapshoot when one has done it and has negative outcomes. So far no infections, I don't think.

My knee is so worse since leg is so much shorter but I can't imagine a knee surgery. So I'm closer MAYBE to Prolozone injections...insurance does not help pay for this work.
That is very interesting that you mention knee problems. My husband has had knee problems since this hip replacements (both). His knees never bothered him before.

He cannot have knee surgery because he had a heart attack, has 5 stents, and doctors do not want him to have any elective surgery. He is 10 years younger than you.

My feeling is that elective surgery means just that. If it is not performed to save your life, don't bother. You might get more than you bargained for.

I fell on my back as a preteen on a diving board. Could not move for a week. My parents were told that I would need surgery or I would be in a wheelchair. They said no. That was over 50 years ago. I lifted children and adults for my job, pushed them in wheelchairs (ironic?), climbed on chairs and ladders, etc., etc. I am 67 today. Bunch of more BS from medicine even going back decades.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Ummm, probably the words that pushed me more to do the surgery were from my MD and she knew I had joint pain everywhere...she made the comment once that I could end up in a wheelchair IF I didn't do the replacement. She's probably 30 yrs younger than me and that's her thinking. THose words haunted me.

Would I be in a wheelchair, who knows. I'll never know, but I know where I am now. Right now I'm getting up the energy to go to the market, took 2 ibuprofen at 1:30 so I can walk better at the store.

Didn't your husband ever know that his legs turned out shorter/longer from surgery. This is so common, I hear and read it from so many, so many. He could look into shoe lifts too, I have on shoe fitted and probably didn't realize the shorter leg soon enough. One thinks it's all part of the healing.....the leg issue is so common.

He could consider PRP or Prolozone injections which I've been thinking about for a couple years. Prolozone is less $$$.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 AM

69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That is very interesting that you mention knee problems. My husband has had knee problems since this hip replacements (both). His knees never bothered him before.

He cannot have knee surgery because he had a heart attack, has 5 stents, and doctors do not want him to have any elective surgery. He is 10 years younger than you.

My feeling is that elective surgery means just that. If it is not performed to save your life, don't bother. You might get more than you bargained for.

I fell on my back as a preteen on a diving board. Could not move for a week. My parents were told that I would need surgery or I would be in a wheelchair. They said no. That was over 50 years ago. I lifted children and adults for my job, pushed them in wheelchairs (ironic?), climbed on chairs and ladders, etc., etc. I am 67 today. Bunch of more BS from medicine even going back decades.
I think it is important to realize the medical advancements since you injured your back. I am glad your parents decided not to go along with the doctors. Good for them and for you. This certainly doesn't mean the medical field, normally give poor advise. They take their knowledge and do the best they can, sometimes being wrong.

As for elective surgery you are right. AS my orthopedic doctor put it: elective means just that. If you go to a doctors with a broken hip, he/she will do surgery and there is no decision to make. When your knees start to go, or your hips, you make the choice. That is what I did: several types of shots, lasting a month to 6 months were no longer relieving the pain or not working well. I knew sooner or later I would have to do something. I choose to go under the knife. I have never been sorry. It has been a little less than 2 years, is my knee perfect? Nope but it is never as bad as before and only gives me a lot of problems if I have worked to hard or the weather is very damp.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM

I'm just talking to a friend in Palm Springs who is electing so many joint surgeries...we are talking now as I've not talked to him in years....he ended up with a horrible knee replacement. And now considering shoulder replacements. I'm send him all my info on PRP, Prolozone and stories of the misery with my hip job. Maybe I will be able to enlight him with what I've learned. So many don't know about Alternatives to electing surgery.

And yes surgery is often needed, but today is being elected left and right and then people living with the messes they end up with.

Good thing there are good stories.

I talked my brother out of back surgery last year and he's doing OK. Working thru the pain, who doesn't have back pain. Does that mean we need to do surgery, cut up the back? GGRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Today, more than ever MD's are so quick to push the drugs and surgeries like they are the way to all cures/healing...not so.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it is important to realize the medical advancements since you injured your back. I am glad your parents decided not to go along with the doctors. Good for them and for you. This certainly doesn't mean the medical field, normally give poor advise. They take their knowledge and do the best they can, sometimes being wrong.

As for elective surgery you are right. AS my orthopedic doctor put it: elective means just that. If you go to a doctors with a broken hip, he/she will do surgery and there is no decision to make. When your knees start to go, or your hips, you make the choice. That is what I did: several types of shots, lasting a month to 6 months were no longer relieving the pain or not working well. I knew sooner or later I would have to do something. I choose to go under the knife. I have never been sorry. It has been a little less than 2 years, is my knee perfect? Nope but it is never as bad as before and only gives me a lot of problems if I have worked to hard or the weather is very damp.
Interesting that you mention very damp weather. That was the only time my back ever bothered into young adulthood. What cured that? Oddly, pregnancy and carrying two children. Never bothered me ever again. You would think that pregnancy would make it worse? Apparently not. My OB then, long before now modern medicine, said pregnancy might have made my back stronger putting all that extra pressure on my spine.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'm just talking to a friend in Palm Springs who is electing so many joint surgeries...we are talking now as I've not talked to him in years....he ended up with a horrible knee replacement. And now considering shoulder replacements. I'm send him all my info on PRP, Prolozone and stories of the misery with my hip job. Maybe I will be able to enlight him with what I've learned. So many don't know about Alternatives to electing surgery.

And yes surgery is often needed, but today is being elected left and right and then people living with the messes they end up with.

Good thing there are good stories.

I talked my brother out of back surgery last year and he's doing OK. Working thru the pain, who doesn't have back pain. Does that mean we need to do surgery, cut up the back? GGRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Today, more than ever MD's are so quick to push the drugs and surgeries like they are the way to all cures/healing...not so.
I tried to talk my daughter out of back surgery. Did not work at all. Worse now than before. I told her about my Uncle and all his problems, surgery, medications, which were not solved until he was in his 70's and had Acupuncture. Her insurance would not cover it. Of course, that is still to this day put in the category of Alternative Medicine. Something that's been around for thousands of years???? Medicine won't make the BIG BUCKS from Acupuncture as opposed to Surgery in a Hospital. This is what it is all about.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Interesting that you mention very damp weather. That was the only time my back ever bothered into young adulthood. What cured that? Oddly, pregnancy and carrying two children. Never bothered me ever again. You would think that pregnancy would make it worse? Apparently not. My OB then, long before now modern medicine, said pregnancy might have made my back stronger putting all that extra pressure on my spine.
My back started to bother me at 18, I had one pregnancy at 25 and my back pain eased up big time with that pregnancy. All the hormones. changes, structure made my back feel better.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM

Just heard my weekly hour of Dr. Darrow on PRP. I sometimes thought he made it sound like PRP was the answer, but he says upwards of 80% success with PRP and keep people out out surgery. Again, SO MANY have no idea of PRP work, and we're hearing more and more about stem cells.

Then I got to thinking, how all the allopathic doctors push for surgery telling patients they "NEED" surgery. The doctors no matter what type work they do, all need patients to keep them working and live their lifestyles etc.

Why the "H" won't our insurance world let us make our decison. When I did the hip job, the hospital was paid over $55K for my 3 nights. All the doctors involved probably were paid over $20K and besides surgeon there were probably 4 other MD types who called on me while in my hospital room. Then there was the anestologist (sp) and the surgeon's PA the list goes on of all involved in those surgeries.

The PRP costs per series is about $800 and even if some one needs up to 3 series, that's $2400. Surely a lot cheaper than the mega $$$ for surgery. Why, don't they cover this, MAYBE because it works.

Thinking back on the $55K paid to hospital by Medicare, this is what medicare approved and paid, I think the total billing was for something like $100K, I kept my statements, so will look that up...it's been almost 6 yrs and prices haven't come down, have they? Then on this I had my annual deductible of $1100 and my copays on what medicare didn't pay which was another $1000 or so.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 AM

4,639 posts, read 10,545,011 times
Quote:
Just heard my weekly hour of Dr. Darrow on PRP. I sometimes thought he made it sound like PRP was the answer, but he says upwards of 80% success with PRP and keep people out out surgery. Again, SO MANY have no idea of PRP work, and we're hearing more and more about stem cells.

Then I got to thinking, how all the allopathic doctors push for surgery telling patients they "NEED" surgery. The doctors no matter what type work they do, all need patients to keep them working and live their lifestyles etc.

Why the "H" won't our insurance world let us make our decison. When I did the hip job, the hospital was paid over $55K for my 3 nights. All the doctors involved probably were paid over $20K and besides surgeon there were probably 4 other MD types who called on me while in my hospital room. Then there was the anestologist (sp) and the surgeon's PA the list goes on of all involved in those surgeries.

The PRP costs per series is about $800 and even if some one needs up to 3 series, that's $2400. Surely a lot cheaper than the mega $$$ for surgery. Why, don't they cover this, MAYBE because it works.

Thinking back on the $55K paid to hospital by Medicare, this is what medicare approved and paid, I think the total billing was for something like $100K, I kept my statements, so will look that up...it's been almost 6 yrs and prices haven't come down, have they? Then on this I had my annual deductible of $1100 and my copays on what medicare didn't pay which was another $1000 or so.
So much BS so little time...

First of all, by the time a patient needs a total hip or total knee, all the PRP or Stem cell injections or Prolotherapy in the world isn't worth a hill of beans....once the articular cartilage is gone its gone, that horse has left the barn

Secondly 100K for a total hip is nonsense the average TOTAL cost today is around 20-40K

As for the surgeon being paid 20K, that is laughable and an order of magnitude greater than reality

Of the total cost of a total joint the surgeon fee is the smallest piece of the pie well after the implant cost and facility fee

Average surgeon fee TODAY is around $1500

"The 121 respondents believed that, on average, orthopedic surgeons should be paid $5080 for a TKA, which was significantly different than the actual Medicare reimbursement rate of $1443 at that time [7]."
http://www.arthroplastyjournal.org/a...555-9/fulltext
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness