Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
What kind of ankle surgery did you have?
I had a spiral fracture and had a plate and 9 screws put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
It's the anesthesia. The older you get, and the more times you've been under, the more prone it is to affect your mental state.

My Father in Law's Hospice Nurse taught us quite well.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,300 times
Can General Anesthesia Trigger Dementia? - Scientific American

Old 06-17-2016, 05:04 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Ever hear of lawyers? Directives? Before Gramma gets demented at all she quietly goes and sees a lawyer and puts together a directive. She draws it up with a legal counsel, that makes it legal. In that, she says "If I get to a point where I cannot do [this, that, or the other, etc....very specific stuff], and I am unable to do it myself, I wish to be euthanized in a painless manner that above all else maintains the dignity that I was born with, the dignity with which I lived my life, and the dignity in which I wish to die..." or something like that. No signature needed at the time of euthanasia. Of course, someone has to be aware of it and someone has to do it.

Its sort of like a "do not rescuscitate" directive but outside of a medical care scenario.

Mine would require a first rate forensic autopsy with high end toxicology just to ensure no lazy bum or undeserving spouse gets what's not intended for them. That's for the lawyer to put in legalise.

This stuff should not be confined to code blues where someone turns into a turnip and requires all this garbage before the plug is pulled.
Apparently YOU aren't aware that euthanasia is not legal anywhere in the United States.....no lawyer can draw up an advanced directive to change that fact...

PAD or physician aid in dying is legal in 4 or 5 states only....

So it doesn't matter if "someone is aware of it and someone does it" it can't be done legally

Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
It's the anesthesia. The older you get, and the more times you've been under, the more prone it is to affect your mental state.

My Father in Law's Hospice Nurse taught us quite well.
This is so true. It's amazing how few realize the effects of anesthesia especially on the elderly. That's why elective surgeries need to be reconsidered for many especially for someone who is 90. At one point will the risks outweigh the benefits? My mother had knee replacement and shoulder surgery and her cognitive decline sped up after that. She eventually passed away from dementia. We live in a society that increasingly has bought into the belief that with enough medical intervention we can dodge death and live forever.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is so true. It's amazing how few realize the effects of anesthesia especially on the elderly. That's why elective surgeries need to be reconsidered for many especially for someone who is 90. At one point will the risks outweigh the benefits? My mother had knee replacement and shoulder surgery and her cognitive decline sped up after that. She eventually passed away from dementia. We live in a society that increasingly has bought into the belief that with enough medical intervention we can dodge death and live forever.
True, they want to keep us propped up and fed to keep us alive with no quality left to our lives. Again, I'd LOVE to have access to that "pill" when I'm tired of it all. When it's too much hard work to get what's left of my life to try to enjoy.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Oh dear, I just got a call from my neighbor who had a hip replacement in 2010 like me and she was 83 I believe, she is having a hellava time of things at 89 now and she fell last night at home and broke her shoulder, she is in hospital and they will do shoulder surgery....she was declining so much in recent months and now this.

Keep your old joints, getting new ones doesn't mean life will be easier for many. I know my life is not easier and I was 72 at my replacement.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 PM

So I just got off the phone with an 82 year old friend of mine, he had both hips replaced last year and get this......

He couldn't be happier

Like 90% of people who go through this miracle surgery he has no pain, no complications...he is walking, biking, dancing and skiing....things he thought he would never do again

Simply amazing

Old 06-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So I just got off the phone with an 82 year old friend of mine, he had both hips replaced last year and get this......

He couldn't be happier

Like 90% of people who go through this miracle surgery he has no pain, no complications...he is walking, biking, dancing and skiing....things he thought he would never do again

Simply amazing

I've spent too much time on replacement forums and hearing from so many who had the opposite of what the 82 yr old had with both hips done and all the skiing and dancing, some miracle for sure!!!???

I just checked in on one of the groups I check into and a 48 yr old reported on a dislocation from one she had done in April and now in a brace to see if it could get the joint to "hold"....

As I've said when I started to go downhill, these replacements are a real crapshoot.

Oh, I just checked in on the other group I visit once a week or so and here's the latest misery:

((I had THR on 5/24/16. By day 3, I was having knee pain. It hurt worse than my total hip. I also have swelling and my knee is totally bruised. I had previously had TKR. I showed it to my surgeon. He told me that they manipulated the leg/knee a lot in OR and that he hoped my knee hadn't gotten messed up. I'm week3 and my knee still hurts. I will call my surgeon for an appt soon. I tolerate walking and my PT though. It hurts, but I tolerate it.))

My knee is so worse and I have ended up bow legged with a shorter leg. I can only imagine how we are manipulated on the operating table.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've spent too much time on replacement forums and hearing from so many who had the opposite of what the 82 yr old had with both hips done and all the skiing and dancing, some miracle for sure!!!???

I just checked in on one of the groups I check into and a 48 yr old reported on a dislocation from one she had done in April and now in a brace to see if it could get the joint to "hold"....

As I've said when I started to go downhill, these replacements are a real crapshoot.

Oh, I just checked in on the other group I visit once a week or so and here's the latest misery:

((I had THR on 5/24/16. By day 3, I was having knee pain. It hurt worse than my total hip. I also have swelling and my knee is totally bruised. I had previously had TKR. I showed it to my surgeon. He told me that they manipulated the leg/knee a lot in OR and that he hoped my knee hadn't gotten messed up. I'm week3 and my knee still hurts. I will call my surgeon for an appt soon. I tolerate walking and my PT though. It hurts, but I tolerate it.))

My knee is so worse and I have ended up bow legged with a shorter leg. I can only imagine how we are manipulated on the operating table.
"According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, of all total hip replacements performed each year in the United States, more than 95 percent are successful with patients experiencing relief from hip pain, and revision surgery is not required.2 The success rate of hip replacements 10 years after surgery is 90- 95% and at 20 years is 80-85%.3"
How successful is hip replacement surgery?

Yeah....90-95% success rate.....real crapshoot there

Your anecdotes are meaningless, problem is there are actual FACTS and thousands of studies that say you are WRONG...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness