U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 AM

13,137 posts, read 7,387,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Since you work in a hospital, how about nursing shoes? They come in all styles and are comfortable. Some look like athletic/running shoes. One suggestion is to have more than one pair (in different styles), and trade off. One of the worst things for your feet and your shoes is to wear the same ones every day.
Great idea on the nursing shoes. My mom taught me not to wear the same pair of shoes day after day. It increases wear on both your feet and the shoes. I appreciate all the recommendations! I think I'll get two: one for running/crosstraining and one for walking. I plan on getting fitted at a running store once my shin splints from the poor fitting ones have healed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:16 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,163,813 times
My wife developed a Plantar Fasciitis, and in getting treated, we noticed her podiatrist had on some comfortable looking shoes which he told us was Keens. My wife got her a pair for around $70.00, and she loves them. They have a decent arch support, and are true to size, but we found out if she wants to wear her extra arch insert, next time we will go a half size up. But on the flip side of the coin, I went to K-mart the other day, and bought a pair of Everlast slip-on shoes that are very comfortable, and weren't but $24.00.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:38 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You do if you want an unbiased assessment of your gait and foot structure and some unbiased advice on what *you* should look for in a shoe. Then you won't be in the position of looking for discontinued styles on eBay.
Unless you find a podiatrist who is experienced in dealing with running injuries, I doubt you will get much advice on selecting running shoes. At most, he will tell you that you need a neutral, stability or motion control shoe. He likely won't recommend a particular brand or model of shoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great idea on the nursing shoes. My mom taught me not to wear the same pair of shoes day after day. It increases wear on both your feet and the shoes. I appreciate all the recommendations! I think I'll get two: one for running/crosstraining and one for walking. I plan on getting fitted at a running store once my shin splints from the poor fitting ones have healed.
It is good advice to not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Most serious runners will alternate at least two pair of running shoes and will only use those shoes for running. Alternating shoes allows the shoes to dry out and allows the cushioning to come back.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:32 AM

16,153 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Unless you find a podiatrist who is experienced in dealing with running injuries, I doubt you will get much advice on selecting running shoes. At most, he will tell you that you need a neutral, stability or motion control shoe. He likely won't recommend a particular brand or model of shoe.
I'm not a runner, but my podiatrist definitely does advise athletes. And she was pretty specific about why I developed plantar fasciitis, what I should look for in a shoe, and how I should test a shoe when I'm holding it in my hands.

Shoe companies change their designs all the time, what's good now may not be as good a year from now. If you have gait/foot issues, you will always have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It is good advice to not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Most serious runners will alternate at least two pair of running shoes and will only use those shoes for running. Alternating shoes allows the shoes to dry out and allows the cushioning to come back.
After my extended bout with plantar fasciitis, I change shoes a couple times during the day! Although I am basically over it, my foot is still weakened, and I am now very paranoid about any twinges. Switching shoes frequently really does help.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:38 AM

13,137 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Yesterday I returned the painful shoes to Academy and lo and behold, I found the same but updated model of Nikes I wore in 2009-2013. Since they had discontinued the style in 2014, the running shoe store put me in another model of Nikes which although they fit OK, they always felt a bit wide. I tried them on in my regular size and they felt awesome, exactly the same as the other Pegasus Nikes I wore so long. They were $110 at Academy and only available in a hideous color, so I went online to Running Warehouse, used an online coupon, and got a pretty color for $99 with free shipping and free returns.

My next step is to go to my local running store and get fitted for a walking or nursing shoe (preferably nursing, since the walking shoes look horribly ugly and clunky). The New Balance shoes seem to run wide, so maybe Saucony is the way to go. At any rate, I'll let the professionals at the running store guide me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or