Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You have flat feet and yet you don't want arch support? Do you have any knee, hip or back pain?

Can't help with the width, I wear wide shoes and they are very hard to find.
No I don't. Is it common to have leg pain without arch supports when you have flat feet? Maybe my exercise regimen helps me avoid it. I don't know if I could get away with wearing men's shoes as another poster suggested. I think my feet are too small for men's shoes. But I'm open to trying most anything. I guess trips to several shoe stores are in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
For those who are having trouble finding wide shoes:

I have always heard Saucony ran narrow and indeed my friends with narrow feet often wear them. I wear a 9 WW and finally went to a running store to be fit for shoes because my feet had been hurting in my admittedly worn out New Balance shoes. I was honestly surprised they had anything I could wear. The one shoe that fit? Saucony. My wide footed son also wears Saucony running shoes. It really depends on the style, I wouldn't overlook them. Each pair were probably in the $150 range. Well worth it.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM

316 posts, read 303,860 times
What about trying "The Walking Company" store, if you have one nearby? A friend recently went and she said they have a machine that analyzes your foot and will give shoe recommendations based on your personal info. They offer a variety of shoe styles (casual, dress, athletic) but they aren't cheap. She was very impressed with their customer service and said she will purchase from them again in the future. You can check out their website online to see if you have a location near you.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
I would check the Road Runner Sports website. They carry almost all the brands of running and walking shoes. I would suggest you get a pair of walking shoes for work. Running shoes are really designed only for running. If you check their site, you will find they have 10 pairs of women's 7.5 narrow width walking shoes. See http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...ing+navigation

The 10 pair include three brands that range in price from $64.95 to $134.95.

They have a shoe selection tool called "Shoe Dog" that allows you to enter specific information about yourself to help pick the best shoe. They also have a VIP program that provides a 10% discount and 90 day test run/return policy.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 06-16-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 02:44 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
My podiatrist told me New Balance is the way to go. I had heel spurs and was wearing cheap sneakers from Payless shoe store. This was about 7 years ago. I only wear New Balance now with the exception of 2 pairs of Nike that I bought. Nike is narrow and hurt my feet. It's worth it to me to spend the money. The pair I have now cost me $59.00. They do sell them in all black or all white. My husband wears all black NB. I don't mind the different colors, mine are gray and white with a little purple in them. I also have orthotics.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
OP has narrow dogs while mine are wide and most men's runners are D. Fortunately, New Balance comes in up to a double E width, just right for me.

Earlier this year I tried Mizuma, heard so much about them, oh man they're killing my dogs. With socks and a Tommie Cooper for a slight right ankle sprain, I can barely get the damn right shoe on.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
OP has narrow dogs while mine are wide and most men's runners are D. Fortunately, New Balance comes in up to a double E width, just right for me.

Earlier this year I tried Mizuma, heard so much about them, oh man they're killing my dogs. With socks and a Tommie Cooper for a slight right ankle sprain, I can barely get the damn right shoe on.
New Balance has had the best shoe sizing for the longest time but some of the other manufacturers are catching up. I've run in wide shoes from Asics, Brooks and Saucony. I know the ASICS GEL-Nimbus 18 comes in D, 2E and 4E. I've tried on some shoes in a B width that I could barely lace up because they were so tight on my instep.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would check the Road Runner Sports website. They carry almost all the brands of running and walking shoes. I would suggest you get a pair of walking shoes for work. Running shoes are really designed only for running.
I have just started working a retail job and was told that walking shoes are much better for long periods of standing than running shoes. I've been doing a lot of research on various athletic shoe company web sites and then finding slightly used and/or last year models on eBay for less than half of retail price. Some models do come in narrow width. You just have to look hard.

Also consider "work" shoes. Skechers, New Balance, and ASICS all have one or more such models:

ASICS Gel-Foundation Workplace

Skechers Women's Work Shoes

New Balance Women's Work Shoes

I have the Skechers Soft Stride Softie and they are perfect for me. I wore the New Balance 706 (approved by the US Postal Service) for part of one day and had to change shoes. The arch support hit me in the wrong place and after 4-5 hours started hurting. However, they might work fine for you; they have great reviews and come in 2A narrow. I like ASICS running shoes, so I may try the ASICS Foundation next.

I have spent a LOT of time online studying shoes, and eBay is by far the best place for the best prices. But it can be be hit or miss; you have to be patient sometimes. And if you are looking at pre-owned shoes, study the photos very carefully.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't need a podiatrist; I need new shoes. My feet feel fine in my old worn out ones. I wanted to buy some new Nikes, as I have been wearing that brand 20+ years, but they have changed their design drastically. Instead of regular style tennis shoes, as they have made in years past; they are built like flippers, with a thin outer sole and high arch support. That felt terrible on my flat feet. I have been fitted by a running store three times, but each time I bought shoes there, by the time I needed new ones they no longer made the style I had been fitted with the time before. I have learned my lesson. This time whenever I get fitted I will buy a pair, make sure they work, then buy another identical pair soon after.
You do if you want an unbiased assessment of your gait and foot structure and some unbiased advice on what *you* should look for in a shoe. Then you won't be in the position of looking for discontinued styles on eBay.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Since you work in a hospital, how about nursing shoes? They come in all styles and are comfortable. Some look like athletic/running shoes. One suggestion is to have more than one pair (in different styles), and trade off. One of the worst things for your feet and your shoes is to wear the same ones every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness