U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM

13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times

Advertisements

I have searched for similar threads but not found anything similar to what I'm looking for. I have two pairs of athletic shoes and both are worn out. I need to replace them and am having a lot of trouble finding suitable replacements. I have gone to running stores in the past to buy shoes but I don't really want to do that this time because the shoes there are very expensive compared to other places. Not only that, they are often very ugly colors and I don't want to wear hideous looking shoes.

The problem is I have narrow, flat feet. I normally wear a size 7-7.5 N. It seems that all the women's athletic shoes that are available are wides. I have had some luck buying kids' shoes but they wear out faster than womens' shoes, so I would rather buy womens'. I work in a medical office that has nonexistent carpeting and am on my feet all day so I need something super comfortable. I bought another pair at Academy (Under Armour Women's Z) for $70 and although they fit me well, they are making my feet hurt something awful, so I am going to have to return them. This makes the third pair from Academy in the last two years I am returning for poor fit.

I don't mind spending a good bit of money for shoes if necessary but need some direction with which to go. I need two pairs: a crosstrainer or running shoe for exercise and one for work. I wore Nikes forever successfully but they have changed their styling to include high built-in arch supports and I can't stand them anymore. Does anyone know of styles or brands I can check out? There are so many! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
I'd go back to the running store (or specialty shoe store) have your gait/foot analyzed, and not worry about the look of the shoe or the $. Once you find a shoe that works for you, you can bargain shop for replacements.

The pain from ill fitting/worn out shoes and the other issues that can cause, far outweigh the concern about ugly shoes - particularly for shoes that you are running or standing in for extended periods. The expenses related to correcting those issues are much more expensive than a good pair of shoes.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
I walk around 40-50 miles a week so I wear out shoes at any alarming rate. I got my first pair at a local running store where they do an analysis of your gait etc. to ensure best fit. I paid a bunch for the shoes, but gained the knowledge of what brand/style worked best for me. I would suggest a trip to a store that can determine best fit for you since you're unsure of what will work best for you.

A few months later when I needed a new pair I discovered the company (as is typical) had introduced a "new" style of the shoes I had. I picked up 6 pairs of the old style, brand new in the box from Ebay paying for each pair about 1/4 of what I paid for the original pair. I'm on my last pair now, so I think I'll check out the store again to determine if the "new" style (which should soon be the old style I'm sure) still works for me and if so hit Ebay for some bargains.

LOL. I agree about the hideous colors. Why some shoe manufacturers think we all want neon yellow shoes with a bright blue swoosh or some equally jarring colors is beyond me, but I've decided comfort and foot health are more important than style and have worn some of those crazy combos.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Saucony is one brand that seems really narrow.

My mom has narrow feet and wears SAS shoes. They've been working on making their shoes less ugly but they're pretty expensive. I think they have narrow and extra narrow.

I get my athletic shoes at New Balance. They're expensive but comfortable and they last.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 AM

I agree; the running store did a great job of fitting me. The last shoes lasted two years. Unfortunately because they lasted a long time, the same style was no longer available, and the kids' Nikes I bought at Academy a year ago aren't either. But I feel guilty about going to the running store for another fitting and not buying from them. I suppose I shouldn't feel that way. I have the money to pay another $100+ dollars for shoes. I suppose that's the way to go again and the advantage to running stores is they have a very liberal return policy. I used it last time when the lady fit me in a shoe that was too wide and large, despite my protests.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree; the running store did a great job of fitting me. The last shoes lasted two years. Unfortunately because they lasted a long time, the same style was no longer available, and the kids' Nikes I bought at Academy a year ago aren't either. But I feel guilty about going to the running store for another fitting and not buying from them. I suppose I shouldn't feel that way. I have the money to pay another $100+ dollars for shoes. I suppose that's the way to go again and the advantage to running stores is they have a very liberal return policy. I used it last time when the lady fit me in a shoe that was too wide and large, despite my protests.
The answer to that is a visit to a podiatrist. A single visit is not all that expensive.

I don't think a store would knowingly steer you wrong, but what they are going to sell you will be something from the brand(s) they carry.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The answer to that is a visit to a podiatrist. A single visit is not all that expensive.

I don't think a store would knowingly steer you wrong, but what they are going to sell you will be something from the brand(s) they carry.
I don't need a podiatrist; I need new shoes. My feet feel fine in my old worn out ones. I wanted to buy some new Nikes, as I have been wearing that brand 20+ years, but they have changed their design drastically. Instead of regular style tennis shoes, as they have made in years past; they are built like flippers, with a thin outer sole and high arch support. That felt terrible on my flat feet. I have been fitted by a running store three times, but each time I bought shoes there, by the time I needed new ones they no longer made the style I had been fitted with the time before. I have learned my lesson. This time whenever I get fitted I will buy a pair, make sure they work, then buy another identical pair soon after.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Saucony is one brand that seems really narrow.

My mom has narrow feet and wears SAS shoes. They've been working on making their shoes less ugly but they're pretty expensive. I think they have narrow and extra narrow.

I get my athletic shoes at New Balance. They're expensive but comfortable and they last.
There is a New Balance outlet near my home. That's worth checking out for sure.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:09 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There is a New Balance outlet near my home. That's worth checking out for sure.
I paid $180 for my New Balance shoes. I wear an 11W and that's almost impossible to find. You can find wide sizes up to 10 in athletic shoes. You can find shoes at the plus size stores that are bigger than a 10 and wide, but not athletic shoes, even if they look like sneakers, they don't hold up to exercise. The easiest solution is just to get men's shoes. In men's sneakers I wear a 9.5, not wide, which is easy to find. But so does my husband and he'll take my sneakers and go do messy jobs in them so he doesn't mess his own shoes up. After he ruined my 5th pair of less expensive men's sneakers, I went and bought the New Balance shoes. I took him with me so he could experience the pain of shelling out $180 for a single pair of my shoes and so he would know those shoes were not to be worn out in the yard or to the range on a muddy day. It worked...he's never even considered borrowing those shoes.

I don't run...I ride a bike, use the elliptical, lift weights and hula hoop, and none of those are particularly hard on shoes, so my $180 shoes have held up for two and a half years now.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
You have flat feet and yet you don't want arch support? Do you have any knee, hip or back pain?

Can't help with the width, I wear wide shoes and they are very hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or