U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM

9,487 posts, read 13,349,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Still weird to get it at my age, but I used it's not as rare as I thought.
Just curious, but my son's doc asked about his exposure as a child, which was a very, very light case. The doc had a theory that the mild case of chicken pox may have made him more prone to shingles. Did your doc mention anything similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just curious, but my son's doc asked about his exposure as a child, which was a very, very light case. The doc had a theory that the mild case of chicken pox may have made him more prone to shingles. Did your doc mention anything similar?
Yeah...thats not a "theory".....that's what shingles is....a re activation of the virus that causes chicken pox...

Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,007,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
She didn't, but I don't know what kind of chickenpox I had as a kid anyway.

She did ask about stress. I don't feel particularly stressed out, but maybe I'm just used to it as I am in a fairly stressful field.

I head one theory that it's becoming more common in young (20-30s) people who were too early for a chickenpox vaccine, so their immunity to it has gone down as we're not exposed to it as often as before.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times
My youngest daughter had them in her teens. It was a very stressful time in her life. I felt so sorry for her.

I had chicken pox as a child and shingles 3 times since then. I have also had the vaccine. I do have residual pain in one spot on my back.

the anti viral meds help if taken early enough.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would suggest taking the prednisone. The blast you get for just a few days is unlikely to cause serious side effects. The goal is to reduce the inflammation along the nerves.
I agree! Prednisone's side effects are usually long term, not for a brief course. If you can reduce the scratch-itch cycle, and minimize the pain and associated stress, you can heal much faster. Don't worry about side effects if taking for less than a week.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:53 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,053,735 times
I'm 52 and have had shingles twice in probably the last 20 years. My symptoms have been VERY minor though. A patch of skin maybe 4" in diameter and barely any pain. Both times were cleared up within a day or two with some meds from my doctor.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:51 AM

4,940 posts, read 2,565,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post

Has anyone else had this happen or know someone who had this happen?
Yes, I have had shingles two times. First time I was around 19, then around 30.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,797,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yeah...thats not a "theory".....that's what shingles is....a re activation of the virus that causes chicken pox...
I think the PP's hypothesis is that because the initial dose was mild maybe the immune response was not strong enough to keep it contained for fifty years.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 AM

4,910 posts, read 4,219,722 times
I had a friend who had it in her teens. I guess it's not that rare. Back then there were no anti-virals and it was very painful and had to run it's course. Glad you got the meds you need OP. I am going to get the vaccine as soon as my insurance will pay for it.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM

387 posts, read 322,322 times
I am diagnosing a lot more shingles in young people these days. Anyone who has had the chickenpox can get it, as the virus remains in your system but can be re-activated. The cases I've seen, someone's immune system was down because they got sick or took medication that can affect the immune system. They are usually very stressed as well. I always treat it aggressively early so that there is less chance of nerve damage.

The other thing is that I start giving shingles shots as early as possible. The CDC still says 55 but I start at 50 because that is what the research says. Honestly, for someone who has gotten shingles at a young age, I would vaccinate them because it can reduce the chance of a second outbreak, and lessen the risk of nerve damage.

You need to wait a year for your system to regulate before getting the shot (so that it is effective), but it is certainly worth it. Shingles is miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or