U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:32 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times

Advertisements

Ask the Experts about Shingles (Zoster) Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 12:08 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yeah...thats not a "theory".....that's what shingles is....a re activation of the virus that causes chicken pox...
Thanks but I (and the Doc) am quite aware of that, the theory was that possibly he got shingles at his age because of the very mild case of chicken pox he had. His doctor seemed to wonder if that could be one of the reasons some YOUNG people get shingles while most do not.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:21 PM

1,821 posts, read 1,985,105 times
Yes it is possible. Treatment should be quick and aggressive in an effort to avoid longer term nerve complications.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Thanks but I (and the Doc) am quite aware of that, the theory was that possibly he got shingles at his age because of the very mild case of chicken pox he had. His doctor seemed to wonder if that could be one of the reasons some YOUNG people get shingles while most do not.
I can find nothing to support his theory. In truth, why shingles happens is mostly unknown. Infection in utero or as an infant does appear to increase the risk.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Old 06-18-2016, 01:06 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,316,736 times
My daughters boyfriend got shingles when he was 17. She ended up with a very mild case of chicken pox (although she had the vaccine). Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I can find nothing to support his theory. In truth, why shingles happens is mostly unknown. Infection in utero or as an infant does appear to increase the risk.

Medscape: Medscape Access
Thank you, that is sort of what I wondered, if it was simply based on his own musings or if there was some kind of new info that the medical community was using to speculate about the cause of shingles in young people. I was curious as to whether anyone else had heard this theory.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that is sort of what I wondered, if it was simply based on his own musings or if there was some kind of new info that the medical community was using to speculate about the cause of shingles in young people. I was curious as to whether anyone else had heard this theory.
It would seem to me that the opposite would be true: those who have few chickenpox lesions would have immune systems that were better at fighting the virus and less likely to have it reactivate.

People who have had the chickenpox vaccine are less likely to get shingles, even though the vaccine contains live virus that can set up housekeeping in the nerve roots.

In this study, half of the children who got shingles after having the chickenpox vaccine had had breakthrough chickenpox despite being vaccinated.

Long-term Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine: A 14-Year, Prospective Cohort Study | Articles | Pediatrics

Children who have shingles after the vaccine are more likely to have had a rash at the time of vaccination, too.

Long-term Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine: A 14-Year, Prospective Cohort Study | Articles | Pediatrics

Therefore it seems that the worse the rash, the more likely you are to get shingles later. That makes sense since it there would be a greater viral load with worse disease.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:31 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,600,981 times
I first had shingles at age 11. The blisters wrapped around my waist and some had moved up my torso. This was in the days when doctors made house calls and I remember him coming to see me while I was in a haze of pain. There was not much they could do back then except give me aspirin and some numbing stuff to rub on the blisters.

On the brighter side, my Dad, seeing how miserable I was, brought me a puppy.

Fast forward 8 years when I was 19, I started having outbreaks every six months or so and always on my left shoulder blade. The only time it popped up somewhere else was once in my right underarm and once underneath my toes on the left (painful).

I had the shingles shot last year and haven't had an outbreak since then despite being very stressed.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 AM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the case is "mild" or not whatever that means....if you have had chicken pox you develop antibodies..."mild" or not....whether one has a "mild" case or not should also have no bearing on later developing shingles....whether "mild" or "severe" one has the virus for life and it can re activated at any time

The varicella vaccine has been around 20 years now so most "young people" have had the vaccine and it is known that immunity from the vaccine is not life long...the introduction of the vaccine and the lack of constant exposure to varicella in the population are more reasonable theories for early onset shingles

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It doesn't matter whether the case is "mild" or not whatever that means....if you have had chicken pox you develop antibodies..."mild" or not....whether one has a "mild" case or not should also have no bearing on later developing shingles....whether "mild" or "severe" one has the virus for life and it can re activated at any time

The varicella vaccine has been around 20 years now so most "young people" have had the vaccine and it is known that immunity from the vaccine is not life long...the introduction of the vaccine and the lack of constant exposure to varicella in the population are more reasonable theories for early onset shingles
Mild as in very, very few blisters, the doctor had to search for them when I brought his sibling in with a typical case of chicken pox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or