U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,790,877 times

Advertisements

Eh, I don't really use oil all that much, but I'm fine with canola. Coconut oil gives me the worst indigestion, and after reading about the counterfeit olive oil racket, I'm not about to waste that kind of money on something that may not even be olive oil.

Some light reading on canola oil myths:

Canola Oil Myths and Truths | Berkeley Wellness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 PM

553 posts, read 374,560 times
I hate the stench of coconut oil in my house when used for cooking. And my wives still uses it.

I don't know what the benefits are. That thing is pure saturated fats. It's like eating cholesterol from the jar.

I want to try avocado oil. Its extraction process it is not that different from EVOO: cleaning, depitting, pressing and mechanically separating pulp form oil and juices yet its smoke point is so high it can be used for cooking too

Old 06-17-2016, 08:11 PM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times
I cover my bases, and don't want to do month's worth of research, so I use:

olive oil
walnut oil
sesame oil
black sesame oil
avocado oil
grapeseed oil
coconut oil

I think that's it......
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Article listed was a joke....absolute rubbish

As for the "fad" of coconut oils....these oils should get the bad, bad, bad treatment of the author who penned the vegetable oil nonsense...

"But, for now, Iíd use coconut oil sparingly. Most of the research so far has consisted of short-term studies to examine its effect on cholesterol levels. We donít really know how coconut oil affects heart disease. And I donít think coconut oil is as healthful as vegetable oils like olive oil and soybean oil, which are mainly unsaturated fat and therefore both lower LDL and increase HDL. Coconut oilís special HDL-boosting effect may make it ďless badĒ than the high saturated fat content would indicate, but itís still probably not the best choice among the many available oils to reduce the risk of heart disease."

Ask the doctor: Coconut oil - Harvard Health

Oh and the "cholesterol myth" as one poster so likes to call it....not a myth....fact....atherosclerosis does not exist in the absence of high cholesterol....fact....familial hypercholesterolemia is absolutely linked with increased risk of cardiac death at young ages....fact...lowering LDL cholesterol has been shown beyond a shadow of doubt to reduce risk of cardiac events..

The only ones who believe cholesterol does not play a role in heart disease are on the lunatic fringe of alternative health...propaganda sites like Weston Price, Mercola, Sinatra etc

Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 AM

11,056 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Coconut oil is great for popping popcorn.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 AM

40,959 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I cover my bases, and don't want to do month's worth of research, so I use:

olive oil
walnut oil
sesame oil
black sesame oil
avocado oil
grapeseed oil
coconut oil

I think that's it......
LOL you sound like me.

I'll add that most of the time, not very much oil is required (at least not the way that I cook) so we're talking about small amounts anyway. I simply do not fry many foods at all and when I do it's pan fried, not deep fried - or maybe sauteed. Anyway, I don't use a lot of oils.

I use olive oil for anything that's spicy in an Italian/European way.

I use walnut, sesame, and black sesame oil when I'm cooking anything Asian that calls for oil.

I use coconut oil to replace half of most things that call for butter. I never, ever use margarine or butter substitutes.

I also use a dab of coconut oil when I'm popping popcorn - like the person above said, it makes THE BEST popcorn ever!!!! I recommend, by the way, getting one of those old fashioned, stainless steel (not aluminum) popcorn poppers with the wooden handle and the mixer thing built into the lid. Talk about fast, cheap, nutritious and delicious! So much better for us than a bag of processed chips.

I use avocado oil on my fingernails and hands. If I'm out of it, I use almond oil or grapeseed oil.

I use grapeseed and almond oils on my skin (with a few drops of lavender added).

I use coconut oil on my face as a cleanser and moisturizer, and castor oil - a tiny amount - around my eyes and on my eyelashes and eyebrows. (Wow, my eyelashes have gotten a lot longer since I've been using that, and my eyebrows have thickened, but it takes about a month to see results.)

Some people may think I'm terrible but I save bacon grease and use small amounts of that in many vegetables. I also use only real butter (or coconut oil) in baking recipes as well as for flavoring. I haven't used coconut oil instead of butter on toast but I've heard it's really good. But since I don't have a problem with real butter, it's not an issue with me.

If you haven't tried coconut oil for a mouthwash, you're missing out on one of life's simple and delicious pleasures. Many articles recommend swishing it around for twenty minutes but I can't do that. I can, however, swish it around for five or ten minutes. You talk about making one's mouth feel fresh and delightful - WOW. I love it. You only have to use about a teaspoon max - maybe even half a teaspoon.

I can't remember the last time I bought any "vegetable" or "canola" oil. Some of the oils above are a bit pricey, but since I use them in small amounts, I don't notice any serious effect on the cost of cooking.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:58 AM

40,959 posts, read 32,696,264 times
By the way, I do believe that high LDL cholesterol is directly linked to heart disease. However, my husband added krill oil to his vitamin regimen (which is a very simplistic one, not one involving fifteen different supplements) and within two months, his LDL cholesterol was at normal, healthy levels. So I would recommend trying slight diet changes as well as krill oil before lining up to take prescription meds to correct "bad" cholesterol.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:21 AM

69,300 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL you sound like me.

I'll add that most of the time, not very much oil is required (at least not the way that I cook) so we're talking about small amounts anyway. I simply do not fry many foods at all and when I do it's pan fried, not deep fried - or maybe sauteed. Anyway, I don't use a lot of oils.

I use walnut, sesame, and black sesame oil when I'm cooking anything Asian that calls for oil.

I use coconut oil to replace half of most things that call for butter. I never, ever use margarine or butter substitutes.

I also use a dab of coconut oil when I'm popping popcorn - like the person above said, it makes THE BEST popcorn ever!!!! I recommend, by the way, getting one of those old fashioned, stainless steel (not aluminum) popcorn poppers with the wooden handle and the mixer thing built into the lid. Talk about fast, cheap, nutritious and delicious! So much better for us than a bag of processed chips.

I use avocado oil on my fingernails and hands. If I'm out of it, I use almond oil or grapeseed oil.

I use grapeseed and almond oils on my skin (with a few drops of lavender added).

I use coconut oil on my face as a cleanser and moisturizer, and castor oil - a tiny amount - around my eyes and on my eyelashes and eyebrows. (Wow, my eyelashes have gotten a lot longer since I've been using that, and my eyebrows have thickened, but it takes about a month to see results.)

Some people may think I'm terrible but I save bacon grease and use small amounts of that in many vegetables. I also use only real butter (or coconut oil) in baking recipes as well as for flavoring. I haven't used coconut oil instead of butter on toast but I've heard it's really good. But since I don't have a problem with real butter, it's not an issue with me.

If you haven't tried coconut oil for a mouthwash, you're missing out on one of life's simple and delicious pleasures. Many articles recommend swishing it around for twenty minutes but I can't do that. I can, however, swish it around for five or ten minutes. You talk about making one's mouth feel fresh and delightful - WOW. I love it. You only have to use about a teaspoon max - maybe even half a teaspoon.

I can't remember the last time I bought any "vegetable" or "canola" oil. Some of the oils above are a bit pricey, but since I use them in small amounts, I don't notice any serious effect on the cost of cooking.
sesame seed is the best:love it and yes, like you I use more than one kind, depending on what I am making or cooking. we use so little it makes almost no sense to worry about how much of what we are getting.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 AM

1,168 posts, read 676,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Was that written by a 16 year old? There are absolutely no specifics in that process. "Unnaturally high temp" What does that mean? 900 degrees? 7000?

"Treat with more chemicals" Um yeah, if you are trying to get some credibility want to share what chemicals?

The whole thing is written like that. It could be true, but that didn't show it.
What they are talking about is solvent extraction.
There are different ways of doing it but for the most part he oil seed squished thru an expeller that removes the bulk of the oil then the crushed seed is put in a big vat that is like a washing machine and liquid hexane is added to it. It is swished around then the spin cycle occures which pushes out the liquid hexane which had dissolved and absorbed the oil from the crushed seed. This may happen a few times then the hexane is evaporated leaving just the oil.
After most of the hexane is evaporated the oil is heated even higher (perhaps 300F to ensure no more hexane is in the oil and to sterilize it from bugs like Botulism.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM

11,056 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ditto. Olive oil is excellent for dissolving herbal flavors and distributing it throughout the dish. Like you I use sesame oil for stir fry. Sesame oil is strongly flavored and an essential ingredient in Asian cooking. For baking bread I use butter. It's a little bit of a hassle because I have to warm the ingredients, but the result is great. I have a bread machine, so make almost all my own bread. For pie crust, biscuits, and deep frying, I use lard. When I have bacon and eggs, the eggs always get fried in bacon grease.

Thanks to good genes, I don't have to worry about cholesterol or low sodium, which means I can eat for flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or