Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,390,179 times

Advertisements

This is why I am using only Coconut and Olive oil.

The ugly truth about vegetable oils (and why they should be avoided)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

I see this as an ad for Olive oil and maybe slightly slanted. Studies can show whatever they intend to show. At least this is my opinion. Others may differ. I remember when the one oil that was the first NO NO was coconut oil.

BTW: I am not sure if heart disease is on the rise; I thought differently but I am no expert. I do think, if that is true and the same with cancer, this has more to do with us living longer than what type of oils we use.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM

What got me started on this topic was I was thinking to myself "How do they get oil from vegetables?". Well they don't, they get it from vegetable and plant seeds using a very unnatural process. Key word being process here. Are we not trying to avoid processed foods? This is a prime example of a processed food. As in one that does not occur in nature. Everyone is entitled to their own, but I'm sticking with the logical choice, the closer to nature the better.

Last edited by gguerra; 06-17-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 AM

119 posts, read 125,424 times
Quote:

The Palmitic Acid in both Coconut Oil and Olive oil might be an issue for some people who have slow Fatty Acid Desaturase genes.

Polymorphisms in FADS1 and FADS2 alter plasma fatty acids and desaturase levels in type 2 diabetic patients with coronary artery disease

Of the four groups, T2D patients had the highest levels of palmitic acid (C16:0), oleic acid (OA, C18:1n-9), EPA, DHA, monounsaturated fatty acids, n-3 fatty acids, D9D-16 (C16:1/C16:0), D9D-18 (C18:1n9/C18:0) and n-3/n-6; and the lowest levels of GLA, AA and D6D (AA/LA). Of the four groups, CAD patients had the highest levels of palmitoleic acid (C16:1) and GLA and the lowest levels of EPA, DHA, and n-3 fatty acids.

There is no healthy food. There are only foods that are health for you genetically. If you want to understand more about this google "nutrigenomics".

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,216,414 times
Quote:
What got me started on this topic was I was thinking to myself "How do they get oil from vegetables?". Well they don't, they get it from vegetable and plant seeds using a very unnatural process. Key word being process here. Are we not trying to avoid processed foods. This is a prime example of a processed food. As in one that does not occur in nature. Everyone is entitled to their own, but I'm sticking with the logical choice, the closer to nature the better.
Vegetable oil is not a processed food. By your definition, the act of picking and washing an orange makes it processed.

Processed is taking that expelled oil and modifying it into margarine.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Vegetable oil is not a processed food. By your definition, the act of picking and washing an orange makes it processed.

Processed is taking that expelled oil and modifying it into margarine.
I guess you didn't read the article? Here's a small section on the production of Canola oil

Quote:
Step 1: Find some “canola seeds.” Oh wait, they don’t exist. Canola oil is actually made from a hybrid version of the rapeseed… most likely genetically modified and heavily treated with pesticides.
Step 2: Heat the rapeseeds at unnaturally high temperatures so that they oxidize and are rancid before you ever buy them.
Step 3: Process with a petroleum solvent to extract the oils.
Step 4: Heat some more and add some acid to remove any nasty wax solids that formed during the first processing.
Step 5: Treat the oil with more chemicals to improve the color.
Step 6: Deodorize the oil to mask the horrific smell from the chemical processing.
You don't call that processed?

Last edited by gguerra; 06-17-2016 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Thanks for the info, I know what feels "right" for me and there is so much info out there today on Everything and we just have to decide for ourselves. I use olive oil and coconut oil ONLY for cooking and salads. And CO for my toothpaste.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,223,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thanks for the info, I know what feels "right" for me and there is so much info out there today on Everything and we just have to decide for ourselves. I use olive oil and coconut oil ONLY for cooking and salads. And CO for my toothpaste.
My husband was told to go on a special diet after his heart attack. He has 5 stents and they worry about these things. No VEGETABLE oils. Olive Oil is what we use, but occasionally I do use Soy Oil. The one I buy has as sticker on it which says recommended by the American Heart Association. I am of Italian heritage, so please do not take away my Olive Oil. Coconut Oil sounds interesting but I have never seen that in a supermarket.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Jo, There is so much info at our fingertips TODAY and it can be so confusing. What is RIGHT for our optimal health. My folks lived into 90's with the vegetable oil world and olive oil. I've followed Weston Price for probably 20 yrs and they are big on Oils Research and talk about the value of Coconut Oil. Some times just too much info to confuse us more.

Then there is the cholesterol myth info out there talked about Weston Price and many doctors too.

I just posted on the Collagen connection and Vit C and other supps from Linus Pauling institute.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband was told to go on a special diet after his heart attack. He has 5 stents and they worry about these things. No VEGETABLE oils. Olive Oil is what we use, but occasionally I do use Soy Oil. The one I buy has as sticker on it which says recommended by the American Heart Association. I am of Italian heritage, so please do not take away my Olive Oil. Coconut Oil sounds interesting but I have never seen that in a supermarket.
you can get it in most stores now if you look for it and I know Sam's carries it for a very good price. It has a slight coconut taste. I use it for cooking sometimes and have used it as a face cream. But it doesn't replace olive oil for cooking that is for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness