Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

As long as there are no substitution used in the oil and as long as it shows 100% pure oil, it's as safe as it is.

Coconut and extra virgin olive oils are the 2 most expensive oils out there, it needs articles like this to get people to spend on them.

I do like Coconut oil a lot, it's just too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I guess you didn't read the article? Here's a small section on the production of Canola oil

You don't call that processed?

Was that written by a 16 year old? There are absolutely no specifics in that process. "Unnaturally high temp" What does that mean? 900 degrees? 7000?

"Treat with more chemicals" Um yeah, if you are trying to get some credibility want to share what chemicals?

The whole thing is written like that. It could be true, but that didn't show it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2016, 12:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
This is why I am using only Coconut and Olive oil.

The ugly truth about vegetable oils (and why they should be avoided)
Gotcha.

Vegetable Oils bad.
Meat bad.
Animal fats bad.
Carbohydrates bad.

We will all live forever on a diet of olive oil and mineral wool.

Check.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What got me started on this topic was I was thinking to myself "How do they get oil from vegetables?". Well they don't, they get it from vegetable and plant seeds using a very unnatural process. Key word being process here. Are we not trying to avoid processed foods? This is a prime example of a processed food. As in one that does not occur in nature. Everyone is entitled to their own, but I'm sticking with the logical choice, the closer to nature the better.
They cook it and press it. The oil runs out. Any time I roast a butternut squash I end up with a pan full of oil. I don't understand why they don't sell squash oil.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Was that written by a 16 year old? There are absolutely no specifics in that process. "Unnaturally high temp" What does that mean? 900 degrees? 7000?

"Treat with more chemicals" Um yeah, if you are trying to get some credibility want to share what chemicals?

The whole thing is written like that. It could be true, but that didn't show it.
the original article states..."Here’s an overly simplified version of the process:"

So again, YES it was simplified AND clearly stated in the article. I suppose if you wanted to know the details you could easily find them.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:22 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Gotcha.

Vegetable Oils bad.
Meat bad.
Animal fats bad.
Carbohydrates bad.

We will all live forever on a diet of olive oil and mineral wool.

Check.
As I said, I am of Italian heritage and anything BUT Olive Oil when I was growing up would have been a "sin" so to speak. It would be like telling those of Irish origins (am that also) to not eat POTATOES. It had nothing to do with health, but the culture. Although today, we are finding out that those immigrant, ethnic diets weren't off the mark health wise in comparison to typical Americanized diets.

I honestly cannot remember either sides of my family ever making burgers or deep oil fried potatoes. My Irish side made a lot of potatoes; boiled, mashed, or baked but not fried. That is the TRUTH. Immigrant populations did not eat like that. Woo? ROFL

Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Dr. David Williams is saying in his recent Alternatives Newsletter about the cheap oils restaurants use, cook at home with quality oils. Restaurants cut costs the best way they can and cooking with cheap processed oils is one way.

Meats are not bad. Moderation and buy quality as best one can. Look for grass fed meats.

Get your carbs from vegetables, not donuts, cookies, pies, breads, pizza, chips etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Dr. David Williams is saying in his recent Alternatives Newsletter about the cheap oils restaurants use, cook at home with quality oils. Restaurants cut costs the best way they can and cooking with cheap processed oils is one way.

Meats are not bad. Moderation and buy quality as best one can. Look for grass fed meats.

Get your carbs from vegetables, not donuts, cookies, pies, breads, pizza, chips etc.
You too can pay restaurant prices for meals you cook at home.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times
Terrible biased article. No facts at all. All I see is the writer sputtering off "bad" "bad" "bad", with little scientific research or study to back up his claims. The article is nothing more than baseless claims.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I know what I cook at home and we don't know what we get in restaurants. I'm not into spending big bucks at restaurants so I'll spend my bucks on as quality foods I can afford to make at home.

I don't waste money on so much junk out there, been that route over my long life. No more Junk stuff, including foods.

If I decided to buy a nice little grass fed steak, it may cost me $8 or so, not $20+ in restaurants....Everything has gone up in prices.

We can all do what we want to do and that's for sure. And I feel sorry for people on really low incomes with families...good grief talk about how difficult to keep their children healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness