U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:48 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,382,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What causes a person to cough upon walking into a different room? Today it happened when I walked into a particular store at a mall. It felt like it was because the room was cooler or maybe because I could feel the cool air.

I've also experienced it when entering a larger open area.

Either way, I will start having a coughing fit and I need to get a cough drop or something to control it.

Thanks for any information.
Cold dry air causes coughing in many people, including myself. It's a well-known effect. (Though I completely expect someone in this forum to tell you grapeseed extract will fix it.)

Air conditioning, especially the aggressive kind where the store leaves the A/C on all the time despite the outside temperature, removes moisture from the air. It's not surprising you coughed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:24 AM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Cold dry air causes coughing in many people, including myself. It's a well-known effect. (Though I completely expect someone in this forum to tell you grapeseed extract will fix it.)

Air conditioning, especially the aggressive kind where the store leaves the A/C on all the time despite the outside temperature, removes moisture from the air. It's not surprising you coughed.
I think you are correct. (As well as the earlier poster who mentioned it). I really just don't like the extreme AC that some buildings use. It feels so unnatural.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 AM

18,758 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Walking into a Whole Foods vs Costco is like day and night as far as healthy feeling.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Walking into a Whole Foods vs Costco is like day and night as far as healthy feeling.
I've never felt good walking into a Whole Foods either.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
It happened again while I was in the produce/fruit section of the grocery store. It was already cold in the store but I didn't start coughing until I got to that section. Fortunately that was the last section I went to in the store but the cough never went away until after I got outside in the warm sunshine.

I think it must be the cold air combined with something else I already have. Or an allergy. Because I go to these places all the time.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 PM

17,971 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Maybe you're right about the allergy part. Vegetables do have mold and mold allergy is common. You could even have other allergies or sensitivities. Some people are sensitive to cleaning products or fabric softeners --it could be just about anything.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
With some people it is psychological.

I think people some people do this as a cowardly and passive-aggressive way to lash-out at people. I will be walking down an aisle at a store, someone coming my way.....and when they get right next to me, they will let-out the fakest sounding cough....it's almost like spitting on someone.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 PM

350 posts, read 231,535 times
When I walked into a certain big box home improvement store (several years ago) my sinus' would
start going crazy - almost a burning sensation. It might have been the product they were carrying
or lack of air circulation, but it was intense. Haven't experienced that in years, but I still remember
the feeling.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 AM

22,693 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
With some people it is psychological.

I think people some people do this as a cowardly and passive-aggressive way to lash-out at people. I will be walking down an aisle at a store, someone coming my way.....and when they get right next to me, they will let-out the fakest sounding cough....it's almost like spitting on someone.
Maybe they were allergic to you.

I've coughed or sneezed when entering or leaving buildings or rooms. It happens most often to me when I leave air conditioning and walk into hot humid air.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe they were allergic to you.

I've coughed or sneezed when entering or leaving buildings or rooms. It happens most often to me when I leave air conditioning and walk into hot humid air.

No, this is the same as those Fatcartpeople who "accidently" swerve at me........they do it on purpose then give you some snide "sorry".

Walking down the aisle and when you get abreast of me, you let out a very fake cough, pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness