U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:42 AM

18,827 posts, read 6,160,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm hypertensive and hypothyroid. I take medication for both. I had my aortic valve replaced in 2005 due to a congenital defect that worsened over time. I had colon cancer, tumor resected, chemotherapy, no recurrence for 7 1/2 years.

I see my PCP twice a year. I see my oncologist once a year. I see my family several times a week. I live in my own house, take care of my own needs. Right now, I'm waiting for the laundry to finish. And I'm cooking chicken to take to a neighbor. Yesterday, I made my bi-monthly trip to Walmart for paper products and coffee. (They sell my brand for a buck and a quarter less than my local grocery chain.)

I'm 80. You're right behind me. I'm glad you have experienced good results from your regimen and non-reliance on modern medicine. But in the grand scheme of things, nobody gets out of here alive. At some point, we'll both be gone. At that point, I don't think it matters how we lived.

OMT: At my age, I have no intention of giving up sugars and carbs - there are precious few joys in life and not long to indulge.
If you don't want to give up sugars/carbs, that is fine. I have friends that are very overweight, take diabetic drugs and won't give them up either....what's left in my life, I'd rather NOT live on pharma drugs. And I feel good staying away from the sugars, I did enough thru my life for 10 people.... I'll be in the company of the 2 ladies who are each 100 lbs overweight each and they will be snacking on the sweets first, I can see it now. One is a diabetic and is a yo yo dieter, she has saved her clothes from her long ago size 3 to her current 3XXX...she thinks she'll get thin again, not in this lifetime.

People are funny actually.

I see my integrative MD once a year and if not for the hip replacement mess, I'd be 100% better than I am...

The above poster talked about GNC curing our ills, IF ONLY that were truth. But my thinking I have a better chance with these type companies than the company of pharma world. I take a couple meds but work to take no more.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:54 AM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times
But you take a LOT of supplements.

Are 30 supplements better than 1 Rx? Figuratively speaking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-22-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But you take a LOT of supplements.

Are 30 supplements better than 1 Rx? Figuratively speaking.
I don't know about 30 supps better than 1 rx, but maybe, could be. The OPC's keep me from drugs and allergist MD's...and that's 1 or 2 supps.

Keeping track of me Mikala, yes I take a lot of supps and most to keep me from the drugs.

I've been in the ER with a stomach ulcer from a drug, lived thru my daughter on life support due to
drug interactions, watching my sister so decline from all the toxic drugs ...

Wonder why I take supps as I do, and yes over 25 yrs.

I don't want to deal with any cancer issues, so taking the OPC's as Prevention, hope I can win the prevention battle.

I believe Prevention was the First publication to get people to work on prevention of diseases....I know my mother had her subscriptions umteen years ago.

Side comment: Many think I take a Lot of supplements and when I read where someone takes 12-15 rx drugs, I think that is a LOT of rx drugs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you don't want to give up sugars/carbs, that is fine. I have friends that are very overweight, take diabetic drugs and won't give them up either....what's left in my life, I'd rather NOT live on pharma drugs. And I feel good staying away from the sugars, I did enough thru my life for 10 people.... I'll be in the company of the 2 ladies who are each 100 lbs overweight each and they will be snacking on the sweets first, I can see it now. One is a diabetic and is a yo yo dieter, she has saved her clothes from her long ago size 3 to her current 3XXX...she thinks she'll get thin again, not in this lifetime.

People are funny actually.

I see my integrative MD once a year and if not for the hip replacement mess, I'd be 100% better than I am...

The above poster talked about GNC curing our ills, IF ONLY that were truth. But my thinking I have a better chance with these type companies than the company of pharma world. I take a couple meds but work to take no more.

I'm not diabetic. I don't weigh 300 pounds. I eat sugars and carbs in moderation just like everything else. You had your fill and now that you've given them up you want me to do the same?

Quote:
I don't know about 30 supps better than 1 rx, but maybe, could be. The OPC's keep me from drugs and allergist MD's...and that's 1 or 2 supps.

Keeping track of me Mikala, yes I take a lot of supps and most to keep me from the drugs.

I've been in the ER with a stomach ulcer from a drug, lived thru my daughter on life support due to

I don't want to deal with any cancer issues, so taking the OPC's as Prevention, hope I can win the prevention battle.

I believe Prevention was the First publication to get people to work on prevention of diseases....I know my mother had her subscriptions umteen years ago.

Side comment: Many think I take a Lot of supplements and when I read where someone takes 12-15 rx drugs, I think that is a LOT of rx drugs.

I take three prescription medications. Okay, I take one of them twice a day, but it's still only three.
Because of your contempt for modern medicine, you deride anyone who relies on it simply because they don't agree with you.

My own mother took a ton of supplements. She had the most beautiful fingernails I ever say and she swore it was one of her supps that made them that way. She's dead. On her 75th birthday, she had an AVM that exploded in her brain and she didn't survive the bleed.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm not diabetic. I don't weigh 300 pounds. I eat sugars and carbs in moderation just like everything else. You had your fill and now that you've given them up you want me to do the same?

I take three prescription medications. Okay, I take one of them twice a day, but it's still only three.
Because of your contempt for modern medicine, you deride anyone who relies on it simply because they don't agree with you.

My own mother took a ton of supplements. She had the most beautiful fingernails I ever say and she swore it was one of her supps that made them that way. She's dead. On her 75th birthday, she had an AVM that exploded in her brain and she didn't survive the bleed.
I'm saying what "works for me"..I don't say to anyone you "should" do this, do that. Maybe I'd be better on a drug like Celebrex for OA, but I'm not taking a chance...a similar drug put me in the ER with stomach ulcer.

I don't put the "shoulds" on anyone.

I don't have a contempt necessarily, but I've seen and lived thru too much damage. Maybe people don't read about my daughter on life support. When burned I don't willingly go back for more. Given choices, I would take a more alternative vs chemical drugs. People who are fine with pharma drugs is ok, and these two topics always get into an argument and people want to debate, I don't and just speak about how I feel and again no "shoulds".

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2016 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 PM

Clinical trials being Outsourced Overseas:

The Guinea Pigs of Pharmaceutical Companies • Down With Basics

More to think about if anyone is thinking anymore.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:57 PM

3,234 posts, read 1,714,071 times
Quote:

Even one is too many. It's a bummer to have to take a lot of supplements and as I said before some of them do interact with each other unfortunately but one drug can easily have a laundry list of side effects while many supplements (provided you have the right combination) would only have a few side effects if any. I'm not sure why people would think medication is so good generally when you have all those commercials about people suing the companies who make them. Meanwhile there are no commercials about people suing supplement companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or