U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times

Advertisements

Thank you, suzy_q2010.

"Overall, the treatment of elevated triglyceride levels focuses on intensive therapeutic lifestyle change. For example, a 5% to 10% reduction in body weight anticipates a triglyceride-lowering response of 20%. Further offsets in CHO [carbohydrate] calories by reducing added sugars and fructose while increasing unsaturated fat intake may contribute an additional 10% to 20% reduction in triglyceride levels. Elimination of trans fats, restriction of SFA [saturated fat], and increasing consumption of marine-based omega-3 products, coupled with aerobic activity, will further optimize triglyceride-lowering efforts. Taken together, reductions of 50% or more in triglyceride levels may be attained through intensive therapeutic lifestyle change."

I can't reduce sugar any more than I already have. I DO cheat every once in a while--I'm not saying I never eat sugar, but by avoiding processed foods and using stevia instead of sugar in cooking and in my cup of tea, I don't get very much sugar. My drink is...water. Except for maybe unknowingly while eating out (and I don't eat out very often.) I have avoided trans fats since about 1995 when my previous doctor first told me about them. Saturated fats--I do eat meat because dh wants it; I would just as soon go back to being vegetarian. I walk the dog and I swim. So what stands out is the marine based omega 3 products. I used to take them but have been researching and it seems that I need to take A LOT higher dose, like 2 grams per day. There are even prescriptions that I could be taking! Epanova, Lovanzo, Vascopa--Rx fish oil that I need to research.

Let's get back on topic since this is not about me, lol. But here is the article I'm planning on showing to my doctor who insists upon statins. https://labdoor.com/article/epa-to-d...risks-analysis

Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for the explanation of tryglycerides.

For the record I DO have a dairy allergy, definitely it is NOT lactose intolerance. This confusion sometimes makes me mad--that it would be so simple if I could just take some lactase. But NO, it is an actual ALLERGY to the protein in dairy products. Verified by by three different allergists over the years and I was told in no uncertain terms to never touch a bit of any dairy product for the rest of my life!

I'm not a big believer in gluten intolerance for so many people who claim to have it either, but when I was first diagnosed with all the food allergies, I was told that grains were a problem for me but not as bad as dairy. I avoided all grains at first (ate quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, etc.)

I have thought for years that I have something wrong with my liver and my theory is that it was caused many years ago by the early birth control pills that contained high amounts of unopposed estrogen. Those pills were taken off the market, but not before they had made me extremely sick. Decades later, I was exposed to extreme oil fumes from a faulty furnace and that was the last straw. I do think it all affected my liver.

That's why I will, one of these days, try to talk about my issues with either some form of liver disease or the high triglycerides--which, as you say, may be connected. I am not obese, do not eat much sugar--I use stevia instead of sugar in my tea and actually consume very little sugar at all. Doctors don't believe me when I suggest that I could have some sort of liver problem--but it might also account for all my allergies and digestive problems. Also, occasional pain in that area.

But I will address all of that in another thread. Thanks for the information.
No birth control pills have ever contained unopposed estrogen. Estrogen alone will not reliably inhibit ovulation. All birth control pills contain progestins, with combined pills having estrogen in order to provide regular bleeding cycles. A few contain progestin alone, sometime referred to as "mini-pills".

The dosage of hormones in the pill was gradually reduced as it was found that the higher doses were not needed for contraception.

Allergies are not caused by liver problems. If your liver function tests are normal, your liver is probably working just fine.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 PM

6,997 posts, read 6,635,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For any individual patient the risks of taking a statin have to be balanced against the benefits. For many patients with serious risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, the scales tip in favor of taking the statin.

Your link to the FDA shows that the risk of liver problems with statins is less than previously thought, people on statins should have their blood sugars monitored, and some people have reported "fuzzy thinking" while on statins. Lovastatin may be more likely to interact with other drugs, which affects its dosing.

None of that says that stains are too dangerous and no one should use them.

At this point, there does not appear to be convincing evidence that statins cause Parkinson's disease. This review actually found a reduced incidence of Parkinson's in statin users.

PLOS ONE: Statin Use and the Risk of Parkinson's Disease: An Updated Meta-Analysis
Statin users have to get regular blood test to check for elevated liver enzymes. The risk also depends on the dosage. That there's less problems with the liver may only mean statin use is being successfully controlled to limit the risk.

A lot of people have reported short-term memory loss which is detrimental, especially if they're still working.

Muscle weakness and muscle pain will lead to a higher risk of experience falls and a less active lifestyle which increases risk for a lot of diseases including heart disease.

The review said it was not significant and it mixed earlier studies that claimed statins reduced the risk of Parkinson's and failed to look at cholesterol levels before the widespread use of statins.

There's a new study that reviewed those earlier studies and found the research to be rigged in favor of exaggerating benefits of taking statins and minimizing their adverse impacts.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0220110850.htm

Old 06-21-2016, 09:32 PM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Triglycerides are a totally different issue from cholesterol. First off, they are produced by the liver, and to some degree by peripheral fat and its interaction with the liver. They have little to do with dietary intake except that heavy alcohol intake, obesity, and heavy simple sugar intake can increase them in some people. Some people's livers, for various reasons, just produce a lot of triglycerides, others don't. Their role in atherosclerosis is minor if at all, unless they are very increased ( >250, with high cholesterol, >300; part of a rare syndrome). Triglycerides alone, greatly increased, are more indicative of fatty liver or similar liver disease including obesity with secondary fatty liver, something of increasing incidence these days. Someone with previously normal triglycerides, who suddenly develops very high triglycerides should be worked up for liver disease - pronto.

Wow....that all sounds so scientific and reasonable....unfortunately none of it is true....

Produced by the liver and to "degree by peripheral fat and its interaction with the liver"...wrong

Little to do with dietary intake.....wrong

Role in atherosclerosis minor if at all....wrong

Associated with fatty liver....true....but not because of increased production in the liver but rather increased storage in the liver.

Triglycerides in the Liver

Triglycerides reach the liver from the adipose tissue as fatty acids and also directly from the gut bound to chylomicrons. The liver is capable of storing triglycerides but its storage capacity is less than adipose tissue. The liver can break down triglycerides into simpler fatty acid molecules which is further processed into compounds like acetyl coenzyme A (acetyl-CoA). These acetyl-CoA molecules condense to form acetoacetic acid which travels to different tissues where it can be used for energy production. Acetyl-CoA is also used for producing other lipids like cholesterol. in the liver. Apart from breaking down triglycerides, the liver also synthesizes triglycerides from excess carbohydrates and proteins this is the reason that a high intake of calories, even on a low fat diet, will lead to fat deposition.

Triglycerides in the Blood

Triglycerides are transported by lipoproteins. Apart from chylomicrons, large amounts of triglycerides can be found in VLDL (very low density lipoproteins) with decreasing amounts in IDL and LDL. High levels of VLDL in the blood is seen in conditions such as familial hypertriglyceridemia. Like cholesterol, high levels of triglycerides in the blood are associated with coronary heart disease.

What are Triglycerides? Functions, Foods, Fat Tissue, Blood | Healthhype.com

Old 06-22-2016, 12:59 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Statin users have to get regular blood test to check for elevated liver enzymes. The risk also depends on the dosage. That there's less problems with the liver may only mean statin use is being successfully controlled to limit the risk.

A lot of people have reported short-term memory loss which is detrimental, especially if they're still working.

Muscle weakness and muscle pain will lead to a higher risk of experience falls and a less active lifestyle which increases risk for a lot of diseases including heart disease.

The review said it was not significant and it mixed earlier studies that claimed statins reduced the risk of Parkinson's and failed to look at cholesterol levels before the widespread use of statins.

There's a new study that reviewed those earlier studies and found the research to be rigged in favor of exaggerating benefits of taking statins and minimizing their adverse impacts.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0220110850.htm
The link to the FDA you gave previously clearly states that routine measurement of liver enzymes is not necessary and no longer recommended.

Most people do not have muscle pain with statins. Changing to a different statin may result in no pain, and people who stop statins for muscle pain and restart them later (90% of them) have no pain.

The link you give is not to a study. It is an opinion piece.

A discussion of risk here. The author is a clinical neurologist and assistant professor at Yale University School of Medicine.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...chrane-review/

Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No birth control pills have ever contained unopposed estrogen. Estrogen alone will not reliably inhibit ovulation. All birth control pills contain progestins, with combined pills having estrogen in order to provide regular bleeding cycles. A few contain progestin alone, sometime referred to as "mini-pills".

The dosage of hormones in the pill was gradually reduced as it was found that the higher doses were not needed for contraception.

Allergies are not caused by liver problems. If your liver function tests are normal, your liver is probably working just fine.
Sorry that I was not 100% accurate but it's been a long time. What I remember is that my doctor called me in and told me that the pills had been taken off the market due to the high levels of estrogen (maybe HE was inaccurate?) and he wrote me a new prescription. By that time I had developed weird things like pre-diabetes, allergies to a lot of things--even my cat! I was getting huge itchy hives whenever I was exposed to cold and hives from dish washing soap. All of this was new and ALL of it went away once the prescription was changed. That, however, does not necessarily mean that longterm damage wasn't done.

These early birth control pills were even found to be fatal to people with certain conditions. Yet, they were approved by the FDA and I took them.

I don't think my liver is "just fine."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0430131115.htm

Estrogen and Liver Toxicity – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
. These findings suggest that the metabolic effects of estriol (two mg per 100 mg body wt) can be summarized to be highly toxic in rat liver, and these findings suggest that oral administration of estrogens may induce hepatic dysfunctions and play a role in the development of liver disease.

Estrogen fuels autoimmune liver damage - 04/29/2013

Old 06-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Closing this thread because we have discussed the pitfalls of losing cholesterol for five pages and it has run its course.

Also, if I want to talk about MY triglycerides I will start a thread on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness