Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

I have a wart on my upper thigh right now. I thought it was something worse than a wart but after reading and seeing pictures online, decided to try the ACV on a cotton swab at night. Today is the morning after the 2nd night of doing this and I am seeing a change and now I can see the black roots of the wart. I suspect this thing will be gone in a few more days of doing this. Will update in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:44 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do people know why they get warts. Is it viral? I haven't looked it up but I've never had a wart.

I've been taking supps that keep viral load down in my body.
Plantar warts are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV), although I don't know if the same strains cause both plantar warts and genital warts. Both are contagious, guess you'd get the plantar warts from bare foot exposure in public places like pools, locker or gym showers ( think the same places where you could pick up athlete's foot), and some folks are more susceptible to the virus than others.

I recall having one plantar's wart as a teenager, which was burned off by our family doc, and I never had a recurrence. Good to know there might be home remedies that work.

Mayo Clinic has some good jnformation about plantar warts:

Plantar warts - Mayo Clinic

Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Plantar warts are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV), although I don't know if the same strains cause both plantar warts and genital warts. Both are contagious, guess you'd get the plantar warts from bare foot exposure in public places like pools, locker or gym showers ( think the same places where you could pick up athlete's foot), and some folks are more susceptible to the virus than others.

I recall having one plantar's wart as a teenager, which was burned off by our family doc, and I never had a recurrence. Good to know there might be home remedies that work.

Mayo Clinic has some good jnformation about plantar warts:

Plantar warts - Mayo Clinic
Not the same strains that cause genital disease:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_wart

"Plantar warts are not prevented by inoculation with currently available HPV vaccines because the warts are caused by different strains of the human papillomavirus. Gardasil protects against strains 6, 11, 16, and 18*, and Cervarix protects against 16 and 18, whereas plantar warts are caused by strains 1, 2, 4, and 63."

*The newer nine valent Gardasil vaccine protects against strains 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52 and 58.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:02 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not the same strains that cause genital disease:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_wart

"Plantar warts are not prevented by inoculation with currently available HPV vaccines because the warts are caused by different strains of the human papillomavirus. Gardasil protects against strains 6, 11, 16, and 18*, and Cervarix protects against 16 and 18, whereas plantar warts are caused by strains 1, 2, 4, and 63."

*The newer nine valent Gardasil vaccine protects against strains 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52 and 58.

That's interesting. I have to wonder, that one day, we will not create a vaccine that covers the 1, 2, 3, and 63 strains?

When I was young I was perpetually in wet tennis shoes while fishing and I also had three letters in HS sports. I have to presume that is where I picked up so many?

Thank you again!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That's interesting. I have to wonder, that one day, we will not create a vaccine that covers the 1, 2, 3, and 63 strains?

When I was young I was perpetually in wet tennis shoes while fishing and I also had three letters in HS sports. I have to presume that is where I picked up so many?

Thank you again!
The locker room floor or shower is a pretty good bet for the source of your warts, not so much the wet shoes, unless you shared them with someone who also had warts.

There is nothing preventing development of a vaccine that includes those strains. The biggest factor would be whether it would be cost effective: would enough parents get their kids vaccinated to sell enough vaccine to recover costs of R&D. I do not know how many strains could be practically included in a single HPV vaccine.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Don't ask me how or why....but Vitamin A.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Don't ask me how or why....but Vitamin A.
Since warts often go away with no treatment at all, anything that you apply to them can appear to work.

The Huck Finn treatment:

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/sawyr-VI.html

I would quote, but Mark Twain's language is not PC.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My ex had them lasered off.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The locker room floor or shower is a pretty good bet for the source of your warts, not so much the wet shoes, unless you shared them with someone who also had warts.

There is nothing preventing development of a vaccine that includes those strains. The biggest factor would be whether it would be cost effective: would enough parents get their kids vaccinated to sell enough vaccine to recover costs of R&D. I do not know how many strains could be practically included in a single HPV vaccine.
What we do need is more people in R&D that have just a few dozen of them on the souls of their feet! I am sure that these strains would get more attention! Is there any possibility that we could hit those researchers with wart germ warfare?

All I do remember about the warts now is how painful they were and how afraid I was of the surgical removal - I am glad that did not happen fifty years ago!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am curious if anybody ever had almost 100 of them scattered around on both feet? I had just about 50 on each foot when I was 19 years old. Some were half an inch in diameter and some were almost half an inch deep. I could not stand the pain of the front of my foot touching the floor.
I had it almost that bad when I was 14 or 15. My male pediatrician had me strip down to my panties and lay on the table while he sat and burned them off. I was well developed. Dirty old man.

Later in my late 20s I went through a bout of repeated warts on my hands. I worked where there was access to liquid oxygen and a co worker froze a q tip and froze the warts hard and deep - basically forming a large blood blister underneath the wart. The wart came up as the blood blister would healed from below.

I don't get bacterial infections too easily but seem susceptible to all variety of virus's. I get cold sores too.

This was all a long time ago.

lasers sound like a different way of burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness