U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,408 posts, read 14,500,015 times
Reputation: 9214

Advertisements

I think it depends. During summer, you smell rather rank if you don't shower even twice to three times a day depending on activity. Also if you have a skin condition like say dandruff or even worse psoriasis (of the scalp) you probably need to shower too, mostly for the shampoo use. Now yes, MAYBE all we need is a quick rinse rather than a full shower, deodorant and cologne change, of course we could use a little less soap and shampoo rather than blobbing it on and maybe once every two days a full shower is in order, but not summer.

 
Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Reputation: 13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
During summer, you smell rather rank if you don't shower even twice to three times a day depending on activity.
Three times a day? Showering three times a day is as extreme on the one end, as showering only once a week is on the other.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,408 posts, read 14,500,015 times
Reputation: 9214
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Three times a day? Showering three times a day is as extreme on the one end, as showering only once a week is on the other.
As I said, it depends on activity level and where you live. So say someone works in the morning and showers and shaves as part of their morning routine, then go to work. During or right after work, they go work out or take a walk outside and now are super sweaty so now they would shower after their workout. At night, they shower before bed to calm themselves. It is entirely possible and maybe not a super-extreme especially in summer. A bike rider to work for instance may have that depending on how far they travel and the time (and temperature) they do it at.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:30 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Reputation: 13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I said, it depends on activity level and where you live. So say someone works in the morning and showers and shaves as part of their morning routine, then go to work. During or right after work, they go work out or take a walk outside and now are super sweaty so now they would shower after their workout. At night, they shower before bed to calm themselves. It is entirely possible and maybe not a super-extreme especially in summer. A bike rider to work for instance may have that depending on how far they travel and the time (and temperature) they do it at.
I don't care about people's showering routines except in so far as it affects other people and the environment. If someone lives in an area with year-round abundant water, then they can shower a dozen times a day for all I care.

However, I have lived my whole life (47 years) in Southern California where drought has always been a concern since my early childhood. Over the years we have added hundreds of thousands of people and now have a more severe drought than ever, so I get a tiny bit agitated when people start advocating two or three daily showers.

This is your scenario:

1. Person X wakes up in the morning, say 6 AM, and showers "as part of his routine."

2. After work, he works out and takes another shower because he is hot and sweaty. This shower is at, say 6 PM.

Before bed, say 10 PM, he takes a shower "to calm himself."

In my opinion, the only shower that is justifiable in severe drought conditions is #2. The person who took a shower at 6 PM does not need another at 10 PM. And, in fact, he is still not dirty or sweaty at 6 AM (assuming he is actually sleeping at night and has a/c), and does not need a morning shower simply because it is a habit. Wash face and hands, maybe put some water on his hair to help with combing, and that should do it. No worries about "smelling rank."

Yes, I am super-sensitive about this because my area is constantly adding MORE housing and MORE people while we have LESS and LESS water. The average person (such as the one mentioned above) who insists on three personal showers per day just because it's a habit is on a par with someone who waters his lawn three times a day just because he likes having thick, lush, green grass, or who drains and refills his swimming pool once a month because he feels better knowing the water is "clean." It's selfish and wasteful, under drought conditions.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,363 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Reputation: 31075
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Also, let's be honest, after a number 2....dont u all feel like a shower would be nice? I mean I could understand a day without a shower, but after taking a big dump, sometimes a shower is the only thing that can get u feeling all squeaky clean.
You need a bidet...and maybe a shave...

Also, are you one of those people who "goes" at the same time every morning, conveniently before work? Because lots of people don't ... and they sure don't go home in the middle of the day to take a shower.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Reputation: 13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You need a bidet...and maybe a shave...
No kidding. Or how about wet wipes? I would say someone who feels the need for a whole-body shower after using the toilet has a little OCD, maybe.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Reputation: 66976
I work out almost every day. Mostly outside.


So how does that work with no showering?
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Reputation: 66976
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Three times a day? Showering three times a day is as extreme on the one end, as showering only once a week is on the other.
Wake up.
Take a shower.
Go to work IN AN ER.
So come home and shower.
3 hours of hot sweaty tennis.
Here comes shower #3.
Dinner, bedtime...repeat.

There's 3 showers easily explained.

I only wash my hair before work. It's a large mane and takes forever to dry.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:52 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 6,874,679 times
Reputation: 7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You need a bidet...and maybe a shave...

Also, are you one of those people who "goes" at the same time every morning, conveniently before work? Because lots of people don't ... and they sure don't go home in the middle of the day to take a shower.
Gee, because bidets are just such a common thing in north America. . .

And besides, if im out and about on the town...and gotta go #2..... I go numero dos in the toilet. Get up, wipe my butt a few times and get out of there before she blows/. ...

Since I'm a guy, I dont carry a bag or purse, so wet wipes aren't exactly practical to carry around with me and bidets are pretty much nonexistent. So, a shower feels good after a dump. I dont feel the need to wash my entire body...just my butt to be honest.
 
Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,408 posts, read 14,500,015 times
Reputation: 9214
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't care about people's showering routines except in so far as it affects other people and the environment. If someone lives in an area with year-round abundant water, then they can shower a dozen times a day for all I care.

However, I have lived my whole life (47 years) in Southern California where drought has always been a concern since my early childhood. Over the years we have added hundreds of thousands of people and now have a more severe drought than ever, so I get a tiny bit agitated when people start advocating two or three daily showers.

This is your scenario:

1. Person X wakes up in the morning, say 6 AM, and showers "as part of his routine."

2. After work, he works out and takes another shower because he is hot and sweaty. This shower is at, say 6 PM.

Before bed, say 10 PM, he takes a shower "to calm himself."

In my opinion, the only shower that is justifiable in severe drought conditions is #2. The person who took a shower at 6 PM does not need another at 10 PM. And, in fact, he is still not dirty or sweaty at 6 AM (assuming he is actually sleeping at night and has a/c), and does not need a morning shower simply because it is a habit. Wash face and hands, maybe put some water on his hair to help with combing, and that should do it. No worries about "smelling rank."

Yes, I am super-sensitive about this because my area is constantly adding MORE housing and MORE people while we have LESS and LESS water. The average person (such as the one mentioned above) who insists on three personal showers per day just because it's a habit is on a par with someone who waters his lawn three times a day just because he likes having thick, lush, green grass, or who drains and refills his swimming pool once a month because he feels better knowing the water is "clean." It's selfish and wasteful, under drought conditions.
I live in Arizona. Arizona is fairly similar drought wise but at times even with AC, sweat can build at night. At times sweating during work and a workout is shower worthy, especially when you have to wear a suit to work. There's FAR too much context. Not that I am saying you are wrong but saying even #1 isn't can be just a little bit dishonest or if not would causes issues in most summer cases. Go to work when only showering after a workout after a night of sleeping with the AC on and the fan on and STILL having sweat on your body and tell me it isn't needed because you stink up the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top