U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM

19,007 posts, read 6,223,451 times

Advertisements

I've lived in So. Calif. 51 yrs soon and don't believe we've ever had a drought like this one going on 5 yrs straight. This thread has become amusing and getting my chuckles going...thanks all for your contributions.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 3,380,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wake up.
Take a shower.
Go to work IN AN ER.
So come home and shower.
3 hours of hot sweaty tennis.
Here comes shower #3.
Dinner, bedtime...repeat.

There's 3 showers easily explained.
No argument on showering after working in an ER or after playing tennis. But I'm pretty sure we will just have to agree to disagree on the three showers because I still don't see any need to shower before sleeping AND after sleeping.

My husband is a mechanic who works on his feet all day from 7 AM to 5 or 6 PM, comes home and often then takes a 1 to 2-hour bike ride or run, and still only showers once a day. This would be at night, after work or after the workout if there is one. I can tell that he smells before the shower...and doesn't smell afterwards, nor in the morning.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:19 PM

21,574 posts, read 26,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The waste from the plants is converted to hydrofluorosic acid and they call this fluoride and that's what's being dumped into our waters...much of it now comes from China. Most of our industries have gone there so China has more to dump.

Fluoride Sources
Fluoride Action Network | Sources of Fluoride

Why I'm Opposed:
Fluoride Action Network | Why I am now officially opposed to adding fluoride to drinking water
Your post proves my point. Fluoridation is not accomplished by "dumping" anything in our water.

There is no such thing as "hydrofluorosic acid". The product used is fluorosilicic acid, also known as hydrofluorosilicate. The fact that it is a byproduct of certain types of manufacturing is irrelevant.

Here is how it is regulated.

https://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/NSF...uoridation.pdf

CDC - Water Fluoridation Additives - Engineering Fact Sheet - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

When water is treated with fluorosilicic acid fluoride ions are released. That is real fluoride, not something "they call" fluoride.

China? I suppose you are not aware that it's highly likely the ingredients in your favorite "supps" come from China.

Does 'Made in China' matter to supplement consumers? | Ingredients General content from New Hope

"China now produces about 60 percent of dietary supplement ingredients sold in the U.S."

Old 06-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No argument on showering after working in an ER or after playing tennis. But I'm pretty sure we will just have to agree to disagree on the three showers because I still don't see any need to shower before sleeping AND after sleeping.

My husband is a mechanic who works on his feet all day from 7 AM to 5 or 6 PM, comes home and often then takes a 1 to 2-hour bike ride or run, and still only showers once a day. This would be at night, after work or after the workout if there is one. I can tell that he smells before the shower...and doesn't smell afterwards, nor in the morning.
Stan is not showering just to prevent BO. She's an ER doc. She showers before work because she will be seeing patients. She showers after work because patients in an ER carry stuff she wants to wash off before she interacts with her family. She showers after exercising because then she may get stinky and does not want to get smelly sweat on the sheets - and for her partner's benefit.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 PM

5,525 posts, read 3,380,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Stan is not showering just to prevent BO. She's an ER doc. She showers before work because she will be seeing patients. She showers after work because patients in an ER carry stuff she wants to wash off before she interacts with her family. She showers after exercising because then she may get stinky and does not want to get smelly sweat on the sheets - and for her partner's benefit.
Okay, well! Extenuating circumstances. I still maintain that the average person, who does not work in an environment that requires extreme caution with germs etc., does not need three showers a day in order not to smell bad.

Especially in an extreme water shortage such as we have in SoCal, it's not going to kill anyone to choose between either a bracing wake-up shower, or a soothing bedtime shower...but not both.

Last edited by saibot; 06-26-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 04:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,156,815 times
I think less soap and shampoo is better for various reasons. Showering seems OK with minimal use of soaps.

Hereís Why You Donít Need to Shower With Soap - Health News and Views - Health.com

Old 06-26-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I think less soap and shampoo is better for various reasons. Showering seems OK with minimal use of soaps.

Hereís Why You Donít Need to Shower With Soap - Health News and Views - Health.com
That article is a bit off the mark.

First off, it's a commercial for a book.

If it's a soap, organic ingredients do not make one whit of difference. Both work the same way, by emulsifying oils so water can rinse them away.

Eczema is an allergy, not an infection, and acne is not related to use of soap or the lack of it.

We do not use hand sanitizers to remove normal skin bacteria but to remove potential pathogens, and alcohol based versions do work against viruses, including flu and colds. They do not work well for Norovirus. When soap and water is available, that is the best way to go. If it is necessary to wash hands frequently, such as for health care providers, use of sanitizers can reduce the risk of chapping the hands. The hands repopulate with normal skin bacteria fairly quickly.

Unless you are buying hydroponically grown veggies, they are all grown in dirt, not "produced in a factory". Good grief.

I would like to see references for the "visit the farm" idea.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM

19,007 posts, read 6,223,451 times
Suzy, I use the term dumping because the chemical pigs are dumping their waste into our public waters...they make mega profits on this and they have found a place in our waters to do this...thanks to Aloca and Mellons in the 30's. And it continues thanks to CDC, EPA, FDA and the battle to end it has gone on for decades as well. And BIG PROFITS>>>>>

Everyone can make their own judgements and decisions on this LONG scam, but I'll NEVER EVER change my mind. Their waste added to our water supplies, food supplies etc etc etc.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-26-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 05:47 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,156,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That article is a bit off the mark.

First off, it's a commercial for a book.

If it's a soap, organic ingredients do not make one whit of difference. Both work the same way, by emulsifying oils so water can rinse them away.

Eczema is an allergy, not an infection, and acne is not related to use of soap or the lack of it.

We do not use hand sanitizers to remove normal skin bacteria but to remove potential pathogens, and alcohol based versions do work against viruses, including flu and colds. They do not work well for Norovirus. When soap and water is available, that is the best way to go. If it is necessary to wash hands frequently, such as for health care providers, use of sanitizers can reduce the risk of chapping the hands. The hands repopulate with normal skin bacteria fairly quickly.

Unless you are buying hydroponically grown veggies, they are all grown in dirt, not "produced in a factory". Good grief.

I would like to see references for the "visit the farm" idea.
How about the World Health Organization?

Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Now in Every Region of the World, WHO Says

Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM

5,669 posts, read 3,211,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is just nonsense. Have you never heard of grab bars, and non-slip tub mats (or stickers)? We use both in our bathrooms and not just in the tubs...vinyl floors can be slippery when wet, too. Nobody ever slips in our baths, because we use inexpensive means to prevent this. You could, too.

As for fluoride in the water, get over it. I can understand if you don't want to drink the water -- filter it or buy bottled water. But showering? It doesn't stay in contact with your skin long enough to get in. You get worse chemicals into your skin just from your clothing and the detergents you use. If it still bugs you, just install a whole-house filter (also inexpensive).

OK, so if you don't want to shower, it's no skin off my back. Do as you please. But stop trying to scare other people who do, with silly "reasons" that are readily correctible, for not much money.
Really? I grew up in NYC which had fluoride in the water almost since the Stone Age. I'd take a shower and itch. Moved to Long Island at the age of 38 which to this day does not have fluoride in the water to this day. Never had a problem, unless I went in pools at lot. Lived there until I was in my early 60's and moved to Florida. Fluoride in water.

I started braking out in hives from head to toe. Had no idea from what. Doctor gave me steroids which made me vomit. Went to a Dermatologist who did a Biopsy. Contact Dermatitis. Change your detergents and soaps which did no good.

Put 2 + 2 together. When I went back to LI where my kids live, hives went away. Came back to Florida, hives came back. What was the difference? The WATER. So I went out and bought special filters on all my water in Florida. No more hives since then.

Side note. So if somebody has a "simple" reaction to only showering in the water,what would their reaction be internally? I had food poisoning and was injected with Cipro which is a fluoride antibiotic. I had ringing in my ears and double vision which took months to go away despite stopping taking that after only 48 hours.

Think about this. If someone is having an external reaction to fluoride, just imagine what it could do taking it internally. Hindsight is 20/20. If I had know what they were giving me with my skin reaction, I would NEVER have taken any antibiotic with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or