U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 02:33 PM

1,589 posts, read 767,504 times

Advertisements

Been having to see this urologist. He doesn't listen to me when I tell him treatment not working and just keeps doing the same thing. I have interstitial cystitis.

I had a different urologist few years ago and his treatment was working. I got dropped as a patient though because they were no longer taking my insurance. The one I see now is doing things to me my previous urologist said I shouldn't do because it would make it worse, and it does make it worse.

The current urologist wants to do another surgery. The first surgery he did made my problem worse. He wants to do the same surgery again.

Current urologist wants to do another scope at next appointment too. Every time he does this I end up with a very bad UTI. The last one ended up lasting couple of months and took four rounds of antibiotics to clear it up. It had even gone up into my kidneys and I was in terrible pain. I am very worried about seeing him as a patient. I get an infection after just about every appointment.

The previous urologist didn't want to do invasive stuff like scoping unless it was necessary because I was at high risk for UTI. This urologist doesn't even seem to care about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 02:40 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
Change doctors! Remember 1/2 of all Doctors graduate at the bottom half of their class. I have a PA now and they seem to do a better job of actually listening to what I tell them.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:41 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times
Get another opinion. If you don't like your doctor's advice ... Seek out a new doctor.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:28 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,753,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
...I have a PA now and they seem to do a better job of actually listening to what I tell them.

Amen to that.

I'm not anti-doctors, but I do appreciate the knowledge and attitude of most of the PAs I've seen.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM

18,760 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Start some work on your own as to WHY the issues in the first place. Knock wood I have not had a UTI in years. When I did have some years back, I knew why and fixed myself. I'm not totally anti doctors but pretty close. We think they "care", they really don't ... how about seeing an integrative MD. Or even a naturopath and btw they know a lot.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,833,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Change doctors! Remember 1/2 of all Doctors graduate at the bottom half of their class. I have a PA now and they seem to do a better job of actually listening to what I tell them.
This has to be one of the most lazy and ill conceived statements I've read on here in a long time. This is comparable to criticizing NFL players by saying 1/2 of all players who get drafted are no longer in the league obviously ignoring the fact that it is nearly impossible to get into the NFL. Likewise, to get into medical school is a daunting effort. You require a high GPA and MCAT to even be considered. And then even among that talented applicant pool, only 10% or so are accepted.

When you accept 100 or so people in a given medical school class, do you think every one of them can be in the top 10% of their class? Are you really that naive to believe that people who finish at the bottom of their class are suddenly unintelligent or not talented enough despite those applicants finishing among the top of their undergraduate class?

Also, how much do you think actually separates people in a medical school class? In our class, the people who finished at the bottom were still scoring in the upper 80's. It's just that people are so incredibly smart and talented that not everyone can finish at the top. It's just completely asinine to suggest that people who finished at the bottom half of their medical school class are somehow not capable of practicing medicine well.

Second, your PA only went to school for 2 years. Your PA did not do residency training. They do one year of basic sciences and one year of rotations and are then released into the world. It's essentially an apprenticeship in which your PA was trained while on the job by her urologist. Your urologist went to medical school for 4 years. He then did a year of general surgery and then 4 years of urology training. Also, urology is one of the toughest residencies to get accepted into. You have to be in the top of your class to match into urology so your assertion carries little weight as it is.

Every physician approaches issues differently. Asking the OP to switch doctors is reasonable but to make an outlandish statement like "half of all doctors graduate at the bottom of their class" to imply that half of all doctors are incapable of practicing medicine well is beyond foolish. Also, most doctors will tell you that medical school performance carries little weight when determining a physician's skill as a provider. Their performance in residency matters far more. Residency is where you train to become a surgeon and learning your craft.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-25-2016 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Az, that poster finished in the bottom 50% of CDF.

Op, change doctors.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,833,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Az, that poster finished in the bottom 50% of CDF.

Op, change doctors.

That person might as well have stated "Remember, 90% of doctors don't finish in the top 10% of their class so tread lightly when dealing with your doctor. LOL

I have heard a lot of ill-informed statements about doctors, but that one had to be the worst one.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
I'd change doctors.

To add to the fray, remember, doctors are practicing medicine.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:56 PM

18,760 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Thought this is about UTI Help???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or