U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM

4,858 posts, read 6,054,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamismo View Post
I've tried everything cream, drops, vick vaporub, vinegar, but other toenails have gotten infected, this **** doesn't go away. I always wear gloves when cutting the toenails, not to infect my finger nails. Nothing works. I removed the nail because they are weak, but they always grow back with the same amount of fungus or maybe less, but the fungus is still stuck in the nailbed.

Laser, based on what I read, is nothing but bull**** that doesn't work.

The only thing that may work is prescription Lamisil, which is expensive and detrimental to the liver. You have to be on constantly monitored by the doctor and the rate of improvement is only 40-50%. You have to be on the medication for at least 3 months, but in most cases, it can take 6 months to 1 year. Also, there is no guarantee that you get reinfected again.

I have also read this medication has many side effects, including reduction of testosterone, libido, and possible erect dysfunction.

There is another option, where the doctor removes the nail, but I don't know if this will prevent the nail from growing back again, in theory since there is no longer a nail, the fungus cannot hide and it can be easily killed as if it were on your skin (athlete's foot)
A number of years ago I had toenail fungus and a NP wrote a prescription for Lamisil. I had to get blood tests once a month but had no issues. It slowly cleared up the toenail fungus.

The toenail fungus eventually came back. I was getting a physical and asked my doctor to write a prescription for Lamisil. My insurance company would not approve it. They hassled my PCP for more and more information, and he finally referred me to a podiatrist. I will have to drive 25 miles to see a podiatrist who is in network, pay a $40 co-pay to see the podiatrist, and the Lamisil co-pay will probably be $90. I never got around to making the appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I did the Lamisil treatment and never looked back. Just make sure they check your liver function during treatment. Everything else is a joke. Sorry for the bad news, but I tried them all. It is generic now and not expensive at all.
Good to know there is a generic version. It might be easier to have my insurance company approve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your avatar reminds me of one of my favorite cures: Clorox! Here is one link: Will Clorox Kill Toenail Fungus? | eHow. I have used Clorox on all kinds of problems; like poison ivy. That link also states to: "You should speak to your physician before trying any home remedies for fungus infections." They do use a dilution and not full strength.
Reminds me of how we used to use Clorox to dry up poison ivy. That smell is hard to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 PM

1,687 posts, read 826,817 times
My doctor gave me ciclopirox topical solution 8%, which you paint on like nail polish. She said that toenails grow so slowly, it would take a very, very long time to see improvement. After using it for about 9 months now, I can see pretty good improvement. At this rate, I think it would take about 2 years to get completely rid of it. Hope I live that long.

It does seem to be working, though.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:45 PM

6,306 posts, read 7,612,795 times
I saw a spot on my toenail (L. great toe) and when I was seeing my PCP for a routine visit, I mentioned it and he took a look and said, "Fungus, does it hurt?" I said it didn't and he said, "I can give you a prescription, it's expensive, it's not good for the liver and there's no guarantee." We agreed I would leave it alone.

One day, I read about someone using Listerine soaks on nail fungus. I did it. Used up the whole bottle over a period of about six weeks. The fungus-spot is just about grown out now, (it's been about 18 months) and there are no signs of fungus on the other nails. Take it FWIW. I only know it seems to have worked for me.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:44 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,901,018 times
Lugol's iodine.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:46 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I tried apple cider vinegar soaks, Vick's Vapo-Rub, and tea tree oil (all at the same time!). None of that worked. I finally just bought some Equate antifungal liquid (maximum strength, undecyclenic acid, "compare to Fungi Nail") and started apply it a couple of times a day, making sure to get behind the nail, covering the top of the nail, and even applying to the skin a bit on the sides and bottom. It seems to be working. The ugly part is growing off and no white or yellow spots (mine were actually pink) have reappeared below. I will report back in another few months if I can remember.
It worked. The toenail has been clear for a couple or three months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness