Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:24 PM

59 posts, read 169,807 times

Advertisements

I've tried everything cream, drops, vick vaporub, vinegar, but other toenails have gotten infected, this **** doesn't go away. I always wear gloves when cutting the toenails, not to infect my finger nails. Nothing works. I removed the nail because they are weak, but they always grow back with the same amount of fungus or maybe less, but the fungus is still stuck in the nailbed.

Laser, based on what I read, is nothing but bull**** that doesn't work.

The only thing that may work is prescription Lamisil, which is expensive and detrimental to the liver. You have to be on constantly monitored by the doctor and the rate of improvement is only 40-50%. You have to be on the medication for at least 3 months, but in most cases, it can take 6 months to 1 year. Also, there is no guarantee that you get reinfected again.

I have also read this medication has many side effects, including reduction of testosterone, libido, and possible erect dysfunction.

There is another option, where the doctor removes the nail, but I don't know if this will prevent the nail from growing back again, in theory since there is no longer a nail, the fungus cannot hide and it can be easily killed as if it were on your skin (athlete's foot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I have a friend who mixed apple cider vinegar with oregano essential oil and sprayed her foot each night and each morning and she says that the fungus was gone in a few weeks. I can't verify that but it may be worth a try.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,775 times
Try soaking your toe in Listerine mouth wash. It has to be the original amber colored stuff but if you can find the same thing in the store brand, that's fine too. Soak your toe for an hour if you can. My son used that remedy and it works. It took 3 days of soaking his toe for an hour before it was gone. It also works for athletes foot.

Another thing you can try is lemongrass essential oil. Put a dropper full on your infected toe and you'll see the fungus turn black by the next morning. Repeat as necessary until the fungus is gone..

no side effects, and you'll have nice smelling feet.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamismo View Post
The only thing that may work is prescription Lamisil...There is another option, where the doctor removes the nail
There is a 3rd option, laser treatment. Maybe research that.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:09 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Karasal works quickly for a short while, but then it comes back. If you want your toes to look good for the summer, you should try it. My DH has a bit of toenail fungus and he has never found the long term cure, so perhaps it can only be found in the prescription with all the side effects.
A good question for the forum would be if someone has used the prescription medication, lived to tell about it, was cured, and it has not come back.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:18 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
I got an infection years ago that I could never get rid of. Eventually it started making two of my toe nails look utterly horrid. I did tons of googling, and then began implementing the treatment that made the most logical sense to me.

I don't have the link saved anymore, but essentially there was this whole forum dedicated to this approach. I'll try to summarize it.

You apply 2-3 drops of white vinegar to the base of each infected toenail twice per day- once in morning, once at night (easy to do when brushing teeth). You don't want to soak your feet because fungus feeds off moisture. That is why you just need a few drops, twice per day. The vinegar soaks into the root of the nail, where new cells grow. As the nails get this twice-daily exposure to vinegar, they begin grow out fungus-free. You gradually clip off the end of the infected nail.

Toenails grow slowly. The rate of cure is dependent on how fast the new clear cells grow in. If the fungus is just on the edge of the nail, then you will be able to get rid of it soon. But if it is deeper into the nail, then that is where the growing out part comes into play. Over time, a clear pink healthy nail will begin to grow in at the bottom. Eventually, your whole nail will be clear.

I think it took nearly two years for my big toenail to get completely clear- the fungus had grown so far down into the nail, I essentially had to grow a whole new one. My smaller nail grew out much quicker.

I still apply the vinegar twice a day to all my toenails now just for prevention.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:59 PM

59 posts, read 169,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
There is a 3rd option, laser treatment. Maybe research that.
already did and i mentioned i in my thread

is overrated and there is no research supporting that it works, also expensive. I read bad reviews about it on realself.com, where real people post reviews about procedures

Old 06-25-2016, 06:14 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,657 times
I've never had a toenail fungus so I can't say that this works for sure. I've read that tea tree oil will work. I like tea tree oil for minor cuts and skin rashes. It's worth a try.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:36 PM

129 posts, read 237,009 times
I would give tea tree oil a try too.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:42 PM

251 posts, read 168,836 times
Sunbath your feet daily, they need sunlight

Change your socks 2-3 Times a day Keep them clean and dry

Collidal silver works for some people

Sunlight and dry socks cleaned me up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness