U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 AM

5,607 posts, read 4,172,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser755 View Post
I am 27 and was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson's last year by a neurologist after extensive testing. yeah I know it's not common to be so young but it occurs.

I was prescribed Sinemet and Azilect but chose not to take the drugs as I am absolutely terrified of the side effects. I have been told so many young people put on these drugs develop dyskinesia and other nightmare side effects. I have opted out for this reason.

I am currently just taking advil for muscle pain (as I seem to have more of than the average person). I don't know what to do and feel so stuck. People think I'm crazy for not medicating this but I don't think they understand how I'm feeling.

Any advice?
I would discuss these concerns with your neurologist. Discuss whether the drugs prescribed are for alleviation of symptoms or help arrest the progression of the disease. If the first, then decide if your symptoms are to the point where it's worth trying the drugs or not. If the second, fill the prescriptions and see if you are in the group that has side effects or not. You may not be and if taking medication slows progress of Parkinsons that's a win.

I wouldn't discount taking something that could help just because of what you've been told or read on the internet. If you did have side effects it's also possible that your neurologist would have alternative treatments that may not. Talk to your doctor. He/she is your partner in this and your best source of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM

29 posts, read 17,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I would discuss these concerns with your neurologist. Discuss whether the drugs prescribed are for alleviation of symptoms or help arrest the progression of the disease. If the first, then decide if your symptoms are to the point where it's worth trying the drugs or not. If the second, fill the prescriptions and see if you are in the group that has side effects or not. You may not be and if taking medication slows progress of Parkinsons that's a win.

I wouldn't discount taking something that could help just because of what you've been told or read on the internet. If you did have side effects it's also possible that your neurologist would have alternative treatments that may not. Talk to your doctor. He/she is your partner in this and your best source of information.
Nope it doesn't stall progression. Meds are just for functioning. If you need to take them to function that is. But there is a trade off of them doing more harm than good, you can get additional "movement disorders" and cognitive effects.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:59 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,172,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser755 View Post
Nope it doesn't stall progression. Meds are just for functioning. If you need to take them to function that is. But there is a trade off of them doing more harm than good, you can get additional "movement disorders" and cognitive effects.

Then you might want to consider holding off until functioning is an issue. Then you might want to try them and see if they help. You don't know if you'll have side effects or not so they might be worth a shot down the road.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 AM

629 posts, read 1,676,255 times
Have you been tested "properly" for Lyme, this would included a Lyme literate Doctor who also uses a quality lab like Igenex in California?
Your Parkinson's symptoms can be from misdiagnosed or ignored Lyme.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 239 times
Has anyone tried 24 hr fasting I.e one meal a day, to encourage authagy?
I have Parkinson's symptoms tremor in right forearm, right leg slightly drags.
I take tumeric tea with black pepper and a whole host of vitamin and minerals
Also I do high intensity training
Tremors do slow ever so slightly on 24 hour fasting, but not noticed a reversal of symptoms
The best I'm hoping for is a slowing down of symptoms
Has anyone benefited from fasting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or