U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,465 posts, read 7,173,474 times
Reputation: 31249

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You didn't answer the question at all. I never asked why is there a chaperone. I asked why the chaperone had to be female.
Isn't it obvious? You must know that you could never trust another male to safeguard a female! You know EXACTLY what will happen to that poor woman!

But seriously...as the other poster said, the chaperone is to protect the doctor, not the patient. A doctor will gladly pay the relative peanuts to discourage any possible litigation. And as a matter of perception to a jury (despite whatever reality might be) a female chaperone is perceived to be more on the side of a fellow woman (hahaha) than even the man who is paying her. It's all just a game meant to reduce litigation. You are quite naive.

What would happen if you did not have this as your raison d'etre? How many hours a day do you spend obsessing over the poor deluded women setting themselves up for assault? And while you obsess over this, what else are you doing? Not a lot of work, I'd imagine... You have generously devoted yourself to something you get little enjoyment or benefit from...or do you?

 
Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,228 posts, read 7,416,038 times
Reputation: 17889
I met two young women who were "creeped out" by the thought of a male OB/GYN. They both described the "ick factor".


And yet these two were clubbers and spent a lot of time looking for guys. And they didn't make it a secret that many times they were bedding these random "dates". <smh>
 
Old 09-16-2016, 03:08 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,288 posts, read 16,151,953 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I have been to the gynecologist with previous girlfriends and I am probably going with my current girlfriend soon. None of the would see a male gynecologist. I have talked to all of them about it. They all agree with what I said in this thread. Many have refused to see male gynecologists when there appointments were changed. All were creeped out by the idea. Granted, I do only date intelligent women who think for themselves and don't blindly accept what they have been told. So that isn't exactly a representative sample.

BTW aren't you the same one arguing that male obgyns don't need to experience femalehood in order to make a good female-issue doctor? Yet because I am a male I cannot possibly have expertise in this discussion. You don't see the contradiction there at all?
are you serious?? are you saying that only stupid women who do exactly as they are told go to male gynecologists??

REALLY??

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am an extremely intelligent woman who has started and run two successful small businesses over the last 26 years and every single gynecologist I have seen has been male.... In fact, I have been with current gynecologist for nearly 30 years now and have been quite happy with the care and counseling I have received from him over this time. He and I are about the same age, so I am guessing he will be retiring before too many more years pass and I am glad I am about over needing his services because I sure would hate to have to find a new one.

A gynecologist is a PHYSICIAN, in other words, a medical professional, who is there to provide medical care to a woman.....
 
Old 09-16-2016, 03:13 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,288 posts, read 16,151,953 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Let's say your doctor had an identical twin that grew up in the same household and behaved identically to your doctor. Your doctor had never had any kids, but their twin had 3. Which would you prefer to help you through pregnancy?

The fact of the matter is that it is much harder to find a oncologist that has had cancer than a female gynecologist. If you go to the doctor complaining of uterine cramps and say "the cramps feel like the cramps I get during my period but a little more sharp", a female gynecologist will instantly know what you mean and what you are experiencing. A male won't have a clue what that feels like.

If you have liver cancer, your oncologist has a liver. If you tear your ACL your surgeon has an ACL. That isn't a direct comparison.



Are you a nudist? Would you be willing to walk around naked on a nude beach, why or why not?



I find it interesting how males and females tend to argue differently. Let me get this straight, I am trying to make you feel bad or guilty because I presented facts and logical arguments that disagree with your emotional world view. Am I right?

4) Who cares if he has a female nurse in there? It doesn't change anything about the appointment. I've had one female OBGYN and she had a female nurse in the room during exams. Know why? Because the nurse helped her prep the pap kit, set her tools out for her, and generally speaking, made the most "unpleasant" part of the exam go by faster because she was able to assist the doctor. Fine by me.
Why should the nurse always be female? If you want to argue that male should be gynecologists, then why not have male chaperones? Be consistent please.

This practice comes from the time when women were viewed as too stupid to be doctors and weren't allowed to be doctors. So if a woman had female related issues she had to go to a male doctor because she had no other option. Women back then were modest and didn't like the idea of a random male being down there (actually there were times when male doctors wouldn't even look at female genitalia, just feel) so there was a female nurse present to make sure the doctor wasn't being a creep.[/quote]

I would prefer the identical twin who had the medical training to help me through a pregnancy.....

and you are mistaken about the chaperones.... They did not become common practice until maybe 30-35 or so years ago when society started becoming litigation crazy......
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,288 posts, read 16,151,953 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
OBGYNs regularly treat women with STDs, what's so sexually hot about that? They treat elderly women, they perform hysterectomies, and fibroid and polyp removals, they perform tubal ligations, they do uterine ablations and biopsies, they treat miscarriages, and they order testing that has nothing to do with any in-office pelvic exam, so they sit and talk about problems with patients in an office...

What's sexually stimulating about examining and treating pathologies and diseases of the reproductive system?

Are you aware that when women have a pelvic exam they aren't actually 100% buck naked? They keep their top half covered? And they wear oversized puffy booties on their feet while they're in the stirrups? Is that a sexy outfit to men? Really?

Why have you sidestepped the fact that lots of other medical specialties involve seeing women naked? Why the focus on OBGYNs as particularly offensive to you?

you get booties??

Lucky!!
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,288 posts, read 16,151,953 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Obgyns also regularly examin healthy attractive women. I fail to see your point. Any doctor is going to have to treat diseases, male obgyns just have the perk of getting to look at attractive women naked a lot of the time.

Yes, I am fully aware of everything you said. Are you aware that a medical fetish is a relatively common thing? There are full forums that discuss such things and there are many doctors and nurses on these forums.

I haven't sidestepped anything, I discussed that above.

If a women has a choice between a female doctor and a male doctor to treat an issue in a sensitive area, why on earth should they logically choose

1) The doctor that doesn't have the same organs as them to allow them to understand what having these parts feels like.
2) The doctor that is FAR more likely to be sexually attracted to the patient and have inappropriate thoughts about the patient.
3) The doctor that is FAR more likely to do something inappropriate such as sexual assault or something else illegal to the patient.
4) The doctor that is most likely going to need to have another person, a female nurse, in the room in order to make sure they don't do something weird or creepy.

The only reasons that I can think of for a woman choosing a male doctor for such examinations over a female is

1) They get sexual pleasure from the experience and thinking about it.
2) They have a problem with women in positions of power.
3) They don't like being talked down to by a woman and prefer to be talked down to by a man.
4) They have no other option.
5) They are clueless.
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA


oh, wait.... you seriously believe this!!

and fwiw.... I don't know what my uterus or ovaries "feel like."
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,111,532 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
are you serious?? are you saying that only stupid women who do exactly as they are told go to male gynecologists??

REALLY??

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am an extremely intelligent woman who has started and run two successful small businesses over the last 26 years and every single gynecologist I have seen has been male.... In fact, I have been with current gynecologist for nearly 30 years now and have been quite happy with the care and counseling I have received from him over this time. He and I are about the same age, so I am guessing he will be retiring before too many more years pass and I am glad I am about over needing his services because I sure would hate to have to find a new one.

A gynecologist is a PHYSICIAN, in other words, a medical professional, who is there to provide medical care to a woman.....
I said "Granted, I do only date intelligent women who think for themselves and don't blindly accept what they have been told.", I meant what I said. You can interpret that however you want. You may want to take a formal logic class though.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,111,532 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What would happen if you did not have this as your raison d'etre? How many hours a day do you spend obsessing over the poor deluded women setting themselves up for assault? And while you obsess over this, what else are you doing? Not a lot of work, I'd imagine... You have generously devoted yourself to something you get little enjoyment or benefit from...or do you?
My degrees are in physics, my occupation is in computer science and I volunteer my time tutoring high school students in AP Calculus and AP Physics, who's parents can't afford to pay for tutoring.

I have spent no more than a couple of hours in this thread for my own entertainment. The real question is, why are you so worked up over the fact that I post what I do on here? It's funny that I have remained level headed and consistent while many in this thread do not. Do you know how many personal attack I have received in this thread alone. It's almost as if the other side doesn't have any logical arguments. Funny how that is.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,465 posts, read 7,173,474 times
Reputation: 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I met two young women who were "creeped out" by the thought of a male OB/GYN. They both described the "ick factor".


And yet these two were clubbers and spent a lot of time looking for guys. And they didn't make it a secret that many times they were bedding these random "dates". <smh>
People aren't often that rational in how they choose who they vote for president...who they marry...who they sleep with...or how they pick a doctor...why does the OP care so much? This is his sole reason for living...and he makes a point of accompanying his girlfriends on their appointments, so he know whereof he speaks! He's quite "Sheldon-like" except he has "real" girlfriends.

And before the OP tries to ding me for an ad hominem argument - I readily stipulate that this is not something that can be argued logically, therefore he is fighting a losing battle and may well go to his grave huffing and puffing.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
1,079 posts, read 1,163,452 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
My degrees are in physics, my occupation is in computer science and I volunteer my time tutoring high school students in AP Calculus and AP Physics, who's parents can't afford to pay for tutoring.

I have spent no more than a couple of hours in this thread for my own entertainment. The real question is, why are you so worked up over the fact that I post what I do on here? It's funny that I have remained level headed and consistent while many in this thread do not. Do you know how many personal attack I have received in this thread alone. It's almost as if the other side doesn't have any logical arguments. Funny how that is.
And I could say the same about you. Why does what I post on here matter? I have presented facts to you, I have presented my personal opinion and reasonings, I have never attacked you or called you names. You seem to get offended or insulted when people question you about certain things, but you do the same back to us and criticize us if we refuse to answer your questions or we challenge you on something. I think you see things in very black and white terms, while the rest of us see the gray in between.

I disagree with you and I tried to get you to understand my, and other women's, point of view but you seem very intent on just saying "No, you're wrong" in return (or circling back to your whole "did you even read what I posted" response...deflect, deflect, deflect). I have agreed with and understand the FACTS you presented, but everything else I don't agree with because it's your personal opinion and how you think things should work. You don't think women should see certain male doctors? Fine. I'm glad you seem to be finding so many girlfriends who agree with you and allow you attend their private medical appointments.

I have had male doctors and I will in the future. A male OB delivered my first daughter and a different male OB will deliver my second soon. I plan to keep seeing this same male OB after she is born. I trust him, I have no reason to switch. I'm honestly not sure what else I can at this point because I just don't think you want to understand where some of us are coming from. In your mind you are right and nothing will change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top