Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times

Advertisements

As another poster said, until a couple of decades or so ago, almost all practicing doctors were male. They were all male in my small city. When I moved to the big city, and as time moved on, there began to be female ob/gyns, and I immediately changed and never looked back! Before I began seeing female gynos, the exams were pretty painful. After I changed to a female dr., the pain was much less. Plus it was more comfortable psychologically, a more even exchange of info (I think the females communicated better).

I always wondered about the kind of man who in med. school would choose to become a gynocologist. I imagine the guys sitting around in med school, telling each other what they decided to specialize in, and everyone gets a hoot out of Bob the Player announcing he's going into wink-wink women's private parts. In fact, when I went to a male OB/GYN in my small city when I was pregnant, I recognized the dr. as being a couple of grades ahead of me in high school, and I remembered that he was promiscuous and quite the "love 'em and leave 'em" kind, always chasing after girls. I never went back to him.

All my other drs have been male, though. Orthopedist, internal medicine (I preferred my male internal med. dr to a female one I used to have).

It all depends on how old you are and what you're used to. I remember yrs ago, when female GYNs started becoming available, an older woman in my office said she'd NEVER go to a female GYN! I don't know if she thought they wouldn't be good, or she thought it might be kinda gay. I suspected the latter. It's all in what you're used to. In her day, women were not supposed to be physicians. Even I, who wanted female drs., thought it was odd in the beginning. They had never been available before, so no one thought of drs as being female, or regarded them highly.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,177 times
I've always had a preference for women doctors, I'm just more comfortable with them rather than men. One time, I had to see a male doctor for a breast exam, and he was soooo not concerned about breast cancer. I told him I had a family history of breast cancer, and he basically said that breast cancer is "no big deal" even when I told him my sister died of breast cancer. Maybe breast cancer isn't a big deal to him, but it sure is to me and was to my sister as well. I was shocked by his indifferent, unconcerned attitude about it.

Also, one of my sisters used to work in a military hospital, and the things she told me about the male doctors' behavior around female patients in that hospital turned me off to male doctors for good.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyneJulia View Post
I have had a new dr for a little over a year now and he's really great, mostly just for benign things. However more recently I had to see him for a...more intimate issue. My sister seems to think I was crazy, saying she didn't know how I could do it. I dunno, it never really bothered me. I know it can be different for everyone but I think it can be perspective as well. Not to go into to much detail but I did have to turn around and drop my drawers lol. To me a dr is just a dr. She really felt it was crazy for me to do.
A woman I worked with refused to go to a local women's health clinic because she thought one of the women might be a lesbian. Her words were, "I don't want a woman rooting around down there." I guess everybody gets a choice.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right; apparently it is a law, when a male doctor examines a female, especially when removing cloths is necessary there has to be a female in the room. I actually would be more comfortable without a female just standing around. Even when I have shots for my bad knee or did have shots, it I have to remove my pants and put on one of those funny little paper shots our orthopedic doctor uses the nurse is there when he does the shot.
Not a law, but a malpractice insurance requirement that there has to be two people in the room. Too many lawsuits about doctors playing doctor.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,762,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Not a law, but a malpractice insurance requirement that there has to be two people in the room. Too many lawsuits about doctors playing doctor.
Correct though as best I know only when it is male doctor, female patient.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:53 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,057,661 times
31 years ago, I was a pregnant 17 yr old kid who had left her parents house, had no health insurance & was getting prenatal care at the county clinic.

I could have been the "poster child" for a DHHS "Don't end up like this!" campaign.

I was laying flat on my back, feet in stirrups when in walks the doctor WITH 6 MALE MED STUDENTS & proceeds to flip on the overhead lamp & give a 10 minute dissertation, complete with full visuals, on the proper way to conduct a pelvic exam!

I guess I was just a piece of convenient meat to them, or at least that's how it felt. There was a poster on the ceiling (there is ALWAYS a poster on the ceiling...) of a kitten hanging off a branch or something & it said "Hang In There!"

I tried to keep from kicking them in the teeth by telling myself "Maybe this will seem funny to me in 20 years & I'll be able to look back at this & laugh?"

But, no; instead, the older I get the more angry it makes me when I remember it; which I don't all that much. It's not like it haunts me or anything.

That being said; theres not much that could happen in a doctors office that will top that for me now, male or female!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,910,902 times
Quote:
I have had a new dr for a little over a year now and he's really great, mostly just for benign things. However more recently I had to see him for a...more intimate issue. My sister seems to think I was crazy, saying she didn't know how I could do it. I dunno, it never really bothered me. I know it can be different for everyone but I think it can be perspective as well. Not to go into to much detail but I did have to turn around and drop my drawers lol. To me a dr is just a dr. She really felt it was crazy for me to do.
Tell your sister it's 2016, not 1616. A doctor is a doctor. Use who you're comfortable with. I don't understand why women practice reverse sexism when it comes to gynecologists and doctors like that. Anyone who actually believes a doc does thousands of PAP smears a year to get his rocks off (and gets turned on by your lady bits, in particular) is either naive or egotistical

Old 06-30-2016, 06:22 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
When I was younger it was always male doctors so you didnt have a choice, I must admit as a teenager I felt uneasy having my chest examined , as back then there was no one else in the room.. nowadays there will be a nurse in attendance.. for femail stuff yes I prefer a lady doctor but when your on a table in agony giving birth you dont care if its an alien helping you get it out..

Old 06-30-2016, 06:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,567,314 times
I would see a male doctor if he was the most qualified doctor to treat my condition, but I currently only have female doctors.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
And what would she do if she had a very aggressive cancer in a more "intimate place" that only a male doctor in her area was available to treat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.