Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 01:23 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,900,119 times

Advertisements

It's personal preference. some are okay with it and some aren't. As a male, I would never see a female doctor for anything that involved looking at my private parts. Hell, I'm even uncomfortable with male doctors.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
I've seen both male and female ob/gyn doctors and discovered that there are great ones and there are mediocre ones of both genders. If you're comfortable with a particular doctor and trust the care that you get, then that's the best doctor for you, regardless of gender.

One of my kids will not see a male doctor for anything. It doesn't matter what she's seeing the doctor for. We had a really great pediatrician who had seen her since she was an infant, and she suddenly refused (at age 4) to see a male doctor and refused to even let him lift her shirt to feel her stomach, or listen to her chest through her shirt. Her sister kept going to the really great pediatrician and we've taken our kid with the issue to a series of female doctors, some of whom have not been very kind or patient with her refusing to take any clothes off. She's seeing a nurse practitioner now who seems very understanding but who also referred her to the clinic's psychologist. My daughter told the nurse practitioner at the first visit, "Just so you know, my clothes are never, ever coming off in here and especially not my underpants, so if that's going to be a problem, tell me now so we can skip the exam." The nurse practitioner agreed as long as my daughter agreed to describe any problems she was having underneath her clothes.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right; apparently it is a law, when a male doctor examines a female, especially when removing cloths is necessary there has to be a female in the room. I actually would be more comfortable without a female just standing around. Even when I have shots for my bad knee or did have shots, it I have to remove my pants and put on one of those funny little paper shots our orthopedic doctor uses the nurse is there when he does the shot.
The only time it ever felt really awkward to me was when the ob/gyn's nurse was his wife. I don't know why but just knowing that made it awkward.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:34 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,900,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She's seeing a nurse practitioner now who seems very understanding but who also referred her to the clinic's psychologist.
That's a steaming pile of BS. Why does it become a psychological issue because she has different preferences from most people? I too have always been uncomfortable being naked with doctors, no matter their gender. It doesn't mean I need a psychologist to analyze the crap out of me. It's just the way I am. If I were you, I would tell the nurse to mind her own business. Stand up for your daughter!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,201,263 times
I have no qualms from a purely medical perspective - as another person said, 25 years ago you rarely had the choice of a female doctor! So medically, go with whoever is most knowledgeable...

However, a female doctor certainly has more personal and first-hand knowledge of many, many conditions a man will never experience and may also be a bit more sympathetic and understanding. Not that I require some emotional response from my doctor but if they are a better listener to your concerns then that is all the better. I don't like when ANY doctor just brushes me off like I'm crazy or something is too minor to worry about.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 2 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,297,390 times
I saw a male GYN for many years. He was a very good doctor.

Then a female GYN came to town (in the '80s) and i switched. She sucked.

I did end up at a great all-women GYN office which i love, but i totally dont think that the sex of the doctor matters. There are great doctors of both sexes, and crappy ones too.

Remember, people go into hospitals for emergencies and surgeries all the time and dont have choices of what sex of doctors work on them. It's about the quality. They must be professionals.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:53 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,317,631 times
I've only seen 4 gynecologists in the past 47 years. I "retired" two of the males, and had to find a new one -again, a male doctor. The one who lasted the shortest period of time (as in 2 months) was the only female doctor. She would book patients in 10 minute increments and always had a jam-packed waiting room. In addition, her husband, who was also a gynecologist, was at the time under several medical sanctions and would wander the office with a hangdog look - it was very off-putting.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
That's a steaming pile of BS. Why does it become a psychological issue because she has different preferences from most people? I too have always been uncomfortable being naked with doctors, no matter their gender. It doesn't mean I need a psychologist to analyze the crap out of me. It's just the way I am. If I were you, I would tell the nurse to mind her own business. Stand up for your daughter!
I would imagine with a child who hasn't even started puberty and has modesty issues to such an extent, there might be some concern that she had been molested. My daughter hasn't, and the modesty issues are not her only issues. Seeing the psychologist was a good thing for her, she's being treated for OCD now.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 PM

772 posts, read 907,673 times
Not weird at all .. They are professional .. don't flatter yourself into thinking the male Dr is just drooling over seeing you naked ...

Old 06-29-2016, 02:12 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,017,266 times
Back when I was in my 20's I had a male OB/Gyn named Dr. Good. He was a very handsome doctor. He was also competent which of course was most important. He also had a very active sense of humor. When in the exam room, and lying down on the table, he had a poster directly above on the ceiling that depicted a reclining black panther and the words "trust me". I almost fell off the table from laughing so hard the first time I saw it.

Over the years I have had male and female doctors. My husband and I actually go to the same doctor now who is a female but we actually see a FNP-C in the doctor's office who we absolutely love. I agree that gender is secondary to experience and competence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.