Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:55 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's really too bad, smoking can kill and for many very young. My daughter was married to smoker but he quit when their first child was born but he coughed and hacked always. When he finally went to a doctor with all his hacking, it was too late. He was 55 and died after 6 months aggressive treatment. He had quit for about 18 yrs after a long long time of smoking.

Get prepared. My grandkids just went thru 3 yr anniversary of their dad's death.
Sorry to hear that jaminhealth since I have a similar story.
My Uncle quit Smoking at the age of 40 and was diagnosed with Lung Cancer at age 62 !
He passed away within 9 months of his diagnosis and it was horrible trying to see him breathe for every gasp of Air.
He wasn't even a heavy smoker but it took a toll on his body eventually.
So preventable.

I miss my Uncle !

Old 07-03-2016, 11:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
So preventable and yet people continue. Billions spent in treatments and millions dying.

So much disease is preventable but so many continue to destroy their lives.

My heart goes out to the OP as he's so lost in this battle and his little one.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:37 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times
I don't actually think it's beneficial to the OP to have people telling him it's a lost cause. His wife is quite young, and it's doubtful that she has cancer or anything. If she isn't going to quit then I would encourage him to get her to switch to organic RYO tobacco, though, since I feel that makes a difference. Back in the day, people were known to use (real) tobacco up until the day they died from old age. My ex-husband's granny used snuff all her life and would even ask to have it smuggled to her in the nursing home. She died of old age. I once had a neighbor when I was a kid who was almost 100. He chain smoked and drank Coke like it was going out of style. He died of old age. My former best friend had an aunt who was a nun--never smoked or anything like that. She died of lung cancer. Obviously, we are all going to die some day in whatever way that takes us.

The point is that modern tobacco products are filled with crap, and that crap is what's harming people. The only reason my pouch of tobacco says "no additives doesn't mean a safer cigarette" is because they must do that legally. That doesn't mean it's true. People have been using tobacco for centuries; it really only became a serious "health problem" after the manufacturers started adding in tons of chemicals and fillers.

And yes, prevention is the best course of action when it comes to anything that will harm you in excess--and that includes all sorts of food products like sugar and artificial sweeteners. I'm personally more worried about people's eating habits than I am about their smoking habits since hardly anyone even bothers to read the labels on their food purchases and they have no idea that some of those ingredients can harm them in the long run. Maybe some day the manufacturers will have to post warnings on the package like they do with tobacco. Until then, people will likely continue to scarf down the MSG, synthetic dyes and flavors, artificial sweeteners, white processed sugar, HFCS, "vegetable" oils, and other harmful ingredients. And they will continue to become obese, get diabetic, and have heart problems and neurological issues because of their food choices.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I don't actually think it's beneficial to the OP to have people telling him it's a lost cause. His wife is quite young, and it's doubtful that she has cancer or anything. If she isn't going to quit then I would encourage him to get her to switch to organic RYO tobacco, though, since I feel that makes a difference. Back in the day, people were known to use (real) tobacco up until the day they died from old age. My ex-husband's granny used snuff all her life and would even ask to have it smuggled to her in the nursing home. She died of old age. I once had a neighbor when I was a kid who was almost 100. He chain smoked and drank Coke like it was going out of style. He died of old age. My former best friend had an aunt who was a nun--never smoked or anything like that. She died of lung cancer. Obviously, we are all going to die some day in whatever way that takes us.

The point is that modern tobacco products are filled with crap, and that crap is what's harming people. The only reason my pouch of tobacco says "no additives doesn't mean a safer cigarette" is because they must do that legally. That doesn't mean it's true. People have been using tobacco for centuries; it really only became a serious "health problem" after the manufacturers started adding in tons of chemicals and fillers.

And yes, prevention is the best course of action when it comes to anything that will harm you in excess--and that includes all sorts of food products like sugar and artificial sweeteners. I'm personally more worried about people's eating habits than I am about their smoking habits since hardly anyone even bothers to read the labels on their food purchases and they have no idea that some of those ingredients can harm them in the long run. Maybe some day the manufacturers will have to post warnings on the package like they do with tobacco. Until then, people will likely continue to scarf down the MSG, synthetic dyes and flavors, artificial sweeteners, white processed sugar, HFCS, "vegetable" oils, and other harmful ingredients. And they will continue to become obese, get diabetic, and have heart problems and neurological issues because of their food choices.
I'm much more concerned about smoking. One can clean up their diets, smoking 15 yrs, that damage? We just disagree on this one.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm much more concerned about smoking. One can clean up their diets, smoking 15 yrs, that damage? We just disagree on this one.
Again, it has more to do with the chemicals and fillers in modern tobacco than it does the act of smoking. Tobacco has been used for a *very* long time and it wasn't as harmful as it is now. I would definitely advise against starting to smoke, especially if you can't be bothered rolling your own with real tobacco.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 PM

I have a friend's son who chewed tobacco and he ended up with mouth cancer.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:53 PM

That's unfortunate, indeed. My ex's granny did snuff all her life and died simply of old age. I wonder how much crap they're putting into chewing tobacco nowadays.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Yet America is now approving marijuana as a new enterprise . Bet some of you reside in these states. Discourage cigs yet approve the mj... Seriously neither make sense.

Op- Your "determination" is not hers. And bravo in quitting. !

Talk with the medical professionals, get feedback on assistive products. I did chantix bout ten years ago... Stayed free for 7 years.. Then relapsed. Even so.., it was a reprieve..

Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 PM

I live in CA and we may have walk in MJ shops soon. I would walk in and buy gummies or oils or some foods maybe, but I would NOT smoke any MJ. I deal with bodywide OA pain and don't need other health issues to hit me...one big one is plenty.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
To the OP, smoking is a sickness and some people are able to stop and some are committed for life. I was married to my wife for 28 years and when I met her she only smoked a few cigarettes when we were out at a club with drinks. Over the years, it got worse and worse to where she smoked a pack to a pack and a half every day.

The odd part, she is an RN and worked in a cancer ward and saw people dying from smoking, but she was so hooked it didn't matter. Over the years, I tried everything to convince her to quit, from gifts to threats of leaving, and she could not stop. One time she tried to quit and I found her digging through the car ashtray for butts. She is also the best mom in the world, but she saw no harm in smoking around our kids when they were little or in a closed car.

I cared about her health, but finally gave up and resigned myself to the fact that she will die from smoking some day. So, I understand your concern and how you feel. With some people, it is a losing battle and they resent you trying to help them kick the habit.

Wish I had some good advice for you, but some people will never be able to stop this horrible, smelly habit. Today, if I met the girl of my dreams I would run like a rabbit if she smoked. I could not go through living with a smoker again.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness