Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

My ex GF and I would visit her mom at the retirement home, and when we would be sitting with her on the lanai, here would come out these older ladies dragging their oxygen tanks. What would shock me was that they would remove the mask and light up a cigarette ! It was as if they were so damn addicted that they couldn't quit the thing that was killing them in the first place.

So glad I never smoked in my life nor do my two sons.

Don

Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Again, people did *not* usually die from tobacco "back in the day". They died from old age or accidents out on the farm. People have smoked it for a very long time without succumbing to cancer.
"Back in the day" people didn't usually smoke 2-3 packs a day. Tobacco was somewhat rarer and working people didn't have the money or the time to be standing around smoking all day. It was more of an after meals or at the end of the day thing - kind of like having a pipe after dinner. Only relatively recently did tobacco get cheap enough that people started smoking throughout their day and the exposure really added up quickly. ...yes, I know, now taxes have made smoking expensive again, but once you're hooked even money is not an incentive to quit.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:18 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
I don't need a source that specifically says it's safer. I have plenty of research that says synthetic pesticides are harmful, and that many of the chemicals added to cigarettes are harmful. Common sense dictates that eliminating those factors is going to make for a safer tobacco.

Maybe you didn't see that picture I just posted...
Your picture did not include all the smokers who do not live to be 100. The majority of smokers will die from smoking related diseases (not just lung cancer) and they will die younger.

Tobacco leaves generate carcinogens when burned. It is chemistry, and "organic" tobacco generates the same carcinogens.

Smoke if you wish. Just do not try to tell people here that organic tobacco is safer. It's not. It's a bit like telling people it's "safer" to jump out of a fifth story window than a sixth story window.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Since she is young, she is probably not concerned with how the smoking is effecting her long term health. Appeal to her vanity. Smoking increases lines around the mouth, yellows your teeth and makes you smell. Being an ex-smoker I can smell a smoker as soon as they are anywhere near me. I would not want to be intimate with a smoker. Kissing her must be gross.

BTW my husband quit smoking in 2000 after smoking for 50 years or so. He found out a few years later he had COPD and had to use oxygen most of the day. He died of lung cancer in 2010. It was not a pleasant dying process.

But the more you talk to her about it the more she will smoke. She will quit when she is ready, hopefully before she does any further damage to herself and your child which has to smell that secondhand smoke regularly. My granddaughter has asthma and we think it is partly because both of her parents smoked around her from the time she was an infant.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 AM

474 posts, read 318,052 times
The OP's wife has to make this decision on her own but suggesting that she try the e-cigs might be a good place to start. Smoking is as much an oral fixation as it is a chemical dependence. The e-cig, while not developed for that reason, does help people to quit smoking because it allows the oral fixation to be satisfied and that's a huge part of the addiction. I think it's easier to rid oneself of the addiction in stages, first the nicotine, then the oral fixation.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Smoking or vaping cannabis has *not* been shown to be harmful, in case you're worried about that. It's actually anti-inflammatory and *may* be helpful for those with inflammatory lung issues. However, ingesting cannabis via gummies, baked goods, or tinctures is probably best for most patients. It's just harder to dose yourself with edibles because your threshold is met in different ways. In other words, it takes longer to feel the effects of edibles, so you can easily get more than you want than if you're smoking and feeling the effects quickly. Thankfully, an "overdose" of cannabis just means you'll go to bed earlier than anticipated. Juicing cannabis is another way to get the medicine, and it seems to work quite well for some people.
Per the bolded --- Not true

Marijuana and Lung Health | American Lung Association

There are other links out there that say the same thing.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Back in the day" people didn't usually smoke 2-3 packs a day. Tobacco was somewhat rarer and working people didn't have the money or the time to be standing around smoking all day. It was more of an after meals or at the end of the day thing - kind of like having a pipe after dinner. Only relatively recently did tobacco get cheap enough that people started smoking throughout their day and the exposure really added up quickly. ...yes, I know, now taxes have made smoking expensive again, but once you're hooked even money is not an incentive to quit.
With anything else, moderation is obviously needed. People shouldn't be smoking 2-3 packs a day anymore than they should be drinking a gallon of soda every day. Aside from that, people shouldn't be smoking questionable tobacco. I think an ingredient list should be required on tobacco products, just as it is with food. People would think twice about smoking if they could see what all is added to most pre-rolled cigarettes.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your picture did not include all the smokers who do not live to be 100. The majority of smokers will die from smoking related diseases (not just lung cancer) and they will die younger.

Tobacco leaves generate carcinogens when burned. It is chemistry, and "organic" tobacco generates the same carcinogens.

Smoke if you wish. Just do not try to tell people here that organic tobacco is safer. It's not. It's a bit like telling people it's "safer" to jump out of a fifth story window than a sixth story window.
You really don't get it, do you? It's the synthetic pesticides and additives that are the most harmful. I do realize that there are carcinogens in the combustion process, and that's bad enough. So why do you have such a problem with me advocating a safer product if someone doesn't want to quit? It is *obvious* that the OP's wife isn't going to quit smoking right now. I am trying to give better options for her, including ways to reduce her smoking since she is going through so many cigs each day. Common sense dictates that when you eliminate the hundreds of additives and you grow without synthetic pesticides, you are going to have a safer tobacco. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Not true

Marijuana and Lung Health | American Lung Association

There are other links out there that say the same thing.
Marijuana doesn't harm lung function, study found

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marijuana...86.html?ref=gs

Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
I hope she gets motivated to try to quit soon. I quit 2 years ago after a long habit. Didn't really realize how bad it was for me until I quit. The Nicotine patches worked for me, though I quit those (after forgetting to put one on before a long workday) Shes still young and putting those awful things down NOW could be a life saver. I am standing here sending positive vibes to you and family man, Her quality of life could improve by leaps and bounds. Its super challenging, And side effects like weight gain, insomnia etc are often real but these pale in comparison to the risk of continuing, and can be dealt with. I can say the patches for me while using them were really great. Weird dreams, some sleep disturbances but nothing extreme.

I don't think vaping is the answer either-We don't know the long term effects yet. What is in all those liquids with the crazy flavors? We don't really know. Mankind has long had a love affair with tobacco, and alcohol too. No tobacco is best I think. it still damages lung tissue. The chemicals added make this 100 times worse. All the best OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness