Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Marijuana doesn't harm lung function, study found

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marijuana...86.html?ref=gs

hmmm.....a 2016 report by the American Lung association verses a 2012 "study" done by a minimal amount of participants. Which one is more objective in data and results.? Lets stick with the American Lung.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:54 PM

706 posts, read 756,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
hmmm.....a 2016 report by the American Lung association verses a 2012 "study" done by a minimal amount of participants. Which one is more objective in data and results.? Lets stick with the American Lung.
That's your choice to stick with one reference.

I do think that most cannabis patients should stick with edibles and just figure out the dose needed, based on experimentation. If you don't already smoke it then there isn't much need to start since you can juice the leaves, make tinctures, and cook/bake with the extracts and oils.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
There were 6 in my family. My 3 sisters, me and my parents. Three in my family have died, the three that smoked. All by smoking related issues. Think its a coincidence, think again. If you want to see your kids grow up, stop now! Its no joke. The pleasure you're getting is not worth what you will miss.

Last edited by RcHydro; 07-04-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 02:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
You really don't get it, do you? It's the synthetic pesticides and additives that are the most harmful. I do realize that there are carcinogens in the combustion process, and that's bad enough. So why do you have such a problem with me advocating a safer product if someone doesn't want to quit? It is *obvious* that the OP's wife isn't going to quit smoking right now. I am trying to give better options for her, including ways to reduce her smoking since she is going through so many cigs each day. Common sense dictates that when you eliminate the hundreds of additives and you grow without synthetic pesticides, you are going to have a safer tobacco. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
Your the one who doesn't "get it"

There is no "safe" tobacco, your organic tobacco might as well be organic rat poison....

Burning tobacco, ANY tobacco generates dozens of carcinogens with or without additives or pesticides...

You aren't advocating a "safer product"....there is no such thing when discussing tobacco

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that smoking tobacco, ANY tobacco is hazardous to one's health and the ONLY way to mitigate the health risks is to not smoke AT ALL

Old 07-04-2016, 03:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graneenja View Post
Wife and I have been married for 3 years, I am 30 and she is 29. When we met we were both smokers but I quit after a process that was not easy. I encouraged my then gf to quit and she of course said she would but never did. She told me she has been a smoker since she was 15 and her mother who is also a smoker would buy her packs. The thing is lately, probably the past 4 months she has really been hacking and coughing a lot, in the middle of the night, when she wakes up and even at work. She will even spit up mucus and phlegm. We have a one year old daughter as well that I am worried about. She smokes about 1-2 packs a day and I am really concerned. Being a former smoker myself I do realize how very difficult it can be to quit but at this rate I am worried she won't live to see our daughter graduate High School or at least college.

I try to be understanding about and don't want to be hypocritical but I am concerned with her long term health. I have tried talking to her about it but she says she will quit when she's ready. Admittedly I have said the same but I did manage to quit.

A long time ago I was a smoker.

Here is what I would do. Tell her she needs to get a 500k life insurance policy and name the child as the beneficiary with you as the guardian. When she turns 18 you promise that you will tell the child how mommy died after a long painful fight from lung cancer. I know you won't be there for her first day of school, hs graduation, her wedding or first child. I'll come by your grave and describe how each happy moment in her life went. Or I promise to bring the urn do you'll be there in spirit . You know since you won't be there physically and for that I'm sorry. And cheer up if you die soon enough she probably won't remember you at all. It will be easier on her anyway. Not growing up with a mom. Maybe the stepmom who raises her will be a non smoker. Keeping my fingers crossed. And think if the money saved since there won't be a divorce. Yay. I'm sure I can find a great non abusive nanny to hand her off 5 days a week. Then hand her a new pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Light up hon, I'm gonna go in the garage and work on your coffin and the story

Last edited by Electrician4you; 07-04-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 04:34 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
Just curious, but did your wife smoke while she was pregnant? I'm just thinking that if she didn't quit for her unborn child, I don't know that she'll quit for herself.

Does she smoke around your baby? Who is watching the baby while she smokes? Does she smoke in the house?

Your first responsibility is to your child. Do NOT allow your wife to smoke in the house or around your baby. If she's home alone with your child, she can't smoke. Simple. This should not be negotiable and you really have to stand up to protect your child's health.

Also, you are now a non-smoker. There's no way you should be exposed to smoke in the house, either.

Refuse to kiss her if she's smoked. Make her use mouthwash first.

The point is to 1) protect both you and your child's health and 2) make it as uncomfortable for your wife as possible to indulge in her disgusting habit. You're fighting for life and health here.

Even if your wife doesn't get cancer there are plenty of other not-so-pleasant diseases that smokers suffer from.

Finally, add up how much money (family resources) she's using to smoke. Cigarettes are expensive, remind her of that. Also, do you have life insurance on her? Health insurance? All of these are additional costs specifically because she chooses to smoke.

Yes, it is a choice.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
I've never been a smoker; I tried it, but found it to be very irritating and not a good use of money. My dad smoked from his mid-teens until he was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 40. He died 8 months later. His hair was just growing back in, lighter, straight rather than curly, and finer that before. It seemed I was looking at someone else in that casket.

My DH smoked a little when we met. Maybe 3-5 cigarettes a day, tops. He quit not long after we got married. Our 25th anniversary will be this September. After reading this thread, I just had to tell him how happy I am that he was able to quit so long ago. He agrees; he's happy, too.

OP, I hope your wife will want to quit soon. My dad couldn't quit til he was in the hospital with his diagnosis. He was so forlorn when he told me he hadn't been able to touch them since he found out what they did to him. And he wondered why he couldn't quit earlier.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:49 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,060 times
What helped me quit was drinking lemon water whenever I had the urge, and lots of physical activity.

I hope she quits for her childs sake

Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 PM

759 posts, read 636,164 times
I quit with Chantix... June 6th, 2011.

Not once have I went back.

Grats to you OP... hopefully your wife will come around. It's a nasty habit.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Setting fire to the tobacco is what is making people so sick. Think about this; people die in fires from smoke inhalation. When you smoke you are slowly killing yourself by inhaling that smoke, just slowly!

When I wanted to quit I imagined the cigarette was a food I've hated all my life. Doing that helped a lot! I hate peas, so my cigarettes became peas.

I've heard doctors are now advising some asthma patients to use a 0mg ecig. The liquid helps open up the airways! Most liquid consists of propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin, or both, food grade flavoring and varying amounts of nicotine or no nicotine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.