U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,533 times

Advertisements

So this is my 2nd plasma donation, my first went off without a hitch! No pain nausea or any problems during or after the donation. I ate a good breakfast of 3 boiled eggs and a peanut butter sandwich, I had good levels in my blood and was well hydrated. I was donating and oddly it was going slow, the lights on the machine would stay on draw then normal, id squeeze my stress ball to get the flow going better and it would bounce back to normal. After 4 more draws i was only above halfway and a nurse came over and fixed my needle, she said it must of moved and she re adjusted it. The draw following that made me really dizzy clammy sweaty and pale and when she saw how i looked she stopped it. i was wondering why I did so well my first time and this time was a wreck? I feel like I may of moved too much subconsciously and messed up the needle and i wasnt drawing or putting the blood back correctly? Id hate for this to be a consistent problem because i really enjoy donating plasma and i would like to continue with it! FYI im a 28 year old male, 240lbs , I work in a steel mill and am covered neck to toes in professional tattoos so with that and my military experience im no stranger to pain, im just confused why it happened and if there is a way to stop it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
This isn't very scientific, but maybe it was your body's way of telling you it wasn't ready to do it again. It's an easy way to make money but sometimes it's just hard on a person.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 PM

706 posts, read 395,972 times
There are various reasons you could have felt like crap while donating. I donated for several years. It's definitely not something I recommend be done long-term or too often. You may well have just gotten a "bad stick" that second time, but it could also be your body not agreeing with it, or it being too soon to go again for you.

If your electrolytes are out of balance or if you're dehydrated, you can feel yucky during and after your donation. Simply drinking a lot of water doesn't mean you're hydrated, btw. In fact, you can become out of balance with your electrolytes if you drink too much plain water. It's better to add mineral drops to your water so that it's actually hydrating you and not flushing away your mineral stores. I don't recommend Gatorade and the other electrolyte drinks because you're getting way more than the minerals--you also get HFCS and other undesirable ingredients like coal-tar-based food dyes. Better to make your own mineral-rich water and add some lemon to it.

If you're a steel worker, I'm finding it hard to imagine that you need the piddly amount of money you get from plasma donation. If you're doing it because you like to help people, then donating blood might be a better option--especially if you have excess iron in your body.

Plasma donation impairs the circulation - NaturalNews.com

What Are the Dangers of Donating Blood Plasma? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Need a quick buck? Sell plasma, but be aware of effects | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Dangers of Donating Plasma | HRFnd

4 Pros and 6 Cons of Donating Plasma - EnkiVillage

Too Much Iron is Not Good -- Donate Blood Now!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM

Here are some recipes for homemade electrolyte drinks. I would recommend only using a high-quality unprocessed salt, such as Himalayan pink salt or some other good inland seabed salt. I would also encourage the use of organic evaporated cane sugar over the white stuff. The former retains most of the original minerals of the plant whereas the latter has all of them removed. For honey, look for the real deal from local sources; a lot of the honey sold in normal stores isn't even all honey (and what honey it does contain could very well be contaminated). There is a big problem with manufacturers cutting the honey with corn syrup.

Make Your Own Electrolyte Energy Drink | Everyday Roots

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink

Natural Electrolyte Sports Drink Recipe | Wellness Mama

How to Make a Homemade Electrolyte Drink / Nutrition / Healthy Eating

9 Homemade Sports Drink Recipes

~~~

Info about the honey scandals:

Fake Honey

Asian Honey, Banned in Europe, Is Flooding U.S. Grocery Shelves | Food Safety News

Fake Honey In Stores - Learn How To Identify The Real Thing - Discover the incredible benefits of honey

Old 07-01-2016, 01:03 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,836,365 times
I see countless near destitute people lining up each thursday at a location in downtown Birmingham to donate plasma. It crosses my mind each time I drive by, are these people healthy enough to donate? Likely there is or was drug use at some time, and shouldn't this disqualify them? how much money could they possibly be getting for their donation?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:34 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I see countless near destitute people lining up each thursday at a location in downtown Birmingham to donate plasma. It crosses my mind each time I drive by, are these people healthy enough to donate? Likely there is or was drug use at some time, and shouldn't this disqualify them? how much money could they possibly be getting for their donation?
I know people who go. They get maybe $40. They have to meet certain criteria, although I don't think the criteria are as strict for plasma as for whole blood. Sometimes if they're going often, they'll make more money at repeat visits, I guess because some screening has already been done with the donation at the first visit.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
They are screened, but I'm not sure how good the tests are that they use. I read that there was a big problem with plasma donations being contaminated after they first started, but that was several decades ago.

The amount of money you get depends on your weight. The more you weigh, the more you can give; therefore, the more money you make. I was only getting like $15-20 each time because I am skinny. I was actually on the very low end of being allowed to donate. My friend who went with me got like $10 more because she weighed 50+ pounds more than I did. I'm sure the rates have gone up a little since I last donated 20-some years ago.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
Did you use the same arm as the first time? I have never had a successful stick in my right arm. I don't know why.

I have not given plasma. I work on a military installation and the Armed Serves Blood Donation Program comes around to my building every 60 days for blood donation and I do that. They started contacting me asking if I would give plasma. I said no because I had heard about big needles, one in each arm, took a long time etc.
I did ask why they were asking and as it turns out while AB is not a "universal" blood donor it is a universal plasma donor, if the person has never been pregnant. Since AB is only about 5% of the population they really like it when you show up.
So then someone told me that the needles had gotten smaller, the process easier to take and I was ready to do it but they told me they had quit taking plasma because of some law that didn't allow them to move it around between states or something?
So now I still just give blood every 60 days. I will be retiring soon. I'd like to keep giving, I will have to seek it out myself somehow.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
They started contacting me asking if I would give plasma. I said no because I had heard about big needles, one in each arm, took a long time etc.
Just to clarify, they don't put needles in both arms. They didn't even do that 25 years ago when I donated. The needle they did use was rather large so maybe they got smaller over the years, but I don't think they've used two needles at a time since the beginning (late 1950s/early 60s). I wasn't even aware that they ever did that.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
Quote:
Paid donations are not used for transfusions. It's used for pharmaceutical production, so the standards are way way lower. For transfusions they only use volunteer donors. The thinking is that any monetary incentives will encourage people to lie on their health screening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or