U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
San Antonio is near an ocean???

San Antonio is about an hour's drive from the ocean & it's at 772 ft above sea level.

I drove through San Antonio to stay in Corpus Christi but I was feeling like a million bucks well before I got to San Antonio!

I live at 7,000 ft elevation; 772 ft may as well be sea level when you have a Hemoglobin of 7.

I stopped for the first night at my BIL's in Hobbs NM, elevation 3,300 ft & even that change was a very real relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I know they give people shots (EPO) to people with kidney issues/cancer but do they have anything else they do for people whose issues do not stem from these problems?

My MIL went into the hospital for anemia/kidney failure and she was barely breathing with a 6.5 hgb. They gave her two units and she didn't feel euphoric but hey she was able to breath again. Maybe you'll have to try getting transfused at sea level and see if you have the same effects.

My only worry about constant transfusions would be the possibility of developing an antibody---of course some people are transfused a million times and never get any and some people get transfused once and develop three or four. The other day there was a patient who had a VERY rare antibody (high incidence antigen) and it's possible with that antibody she might not even be able to find a unit antigen-free.
Epo has not been reccomended for me and I THINK (not sure) I know why.

Epo stimulates the production of RBC's.

My problem is microcytic anemia which was triggered by a hemorrhagic 2nd trimester delivery of a stillborn baby.

Unfortunatley there had been a mixup at the hospital following the D&C & instead of being transfused, I was discharged.

The error wasn't discovered until 6 MONTHS later when I was seen in the ER for syncope (fainting).

Traumatic blood loss, if not treated, causes a signal to be sent to the bone marrow to start rapidly reproducing RBC's. The rapidly reproducing cells can be too small (micro) & malformed (instead of looking like a plump tire they look like a leaking inner tube) & this reduces the surface area needed to transport oxygen.

So, I think I'm not a good canidate for Epo because it could cause additional malformation?

Also, yes; I am terrified of having a reaction! Thank God so far I tolerate transfusion very well.

I am type O negative; anybody can receive my blood but I can ONLY recieve O-.

It's like the holy grail of blood products. When I was working at a regional medical center with the only trauma unit for over 300 miles we used to get overhead announcements asking for any employees with type O- to please come donate when we would have mass traumas coming in.

What nobody wants you to know: There are still MAJOR concerns regarding the safety of our blood supply; they are still finding blood headed for our blood banks that test + for HIV.

Yikes...

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Epo has not been reccomended for me and I THINK (not sure) I know why.

Epo stimulates the production of RBC's.

My problem is microcytic anemia which was triggered by a hemorrhagic 2nd trimester delivery of a stillborn baby.

Unfortunatley there had been a mixup at the hospital following the D&C & instead of being transfused, I was discharged.

The error wasn't discovered until 6 MONTHS later when I was seen in the ER for syncope (fainting).

Traumatic blood loss, if not treated, causes a signal to be sent to the bone marrow to start rapidly reproducing RBC's. The rapidly reproducing cells can be too small (micro) & malformed (instead of looking like a plump tire they look like a leaking inner tube) & this reduces the surface area needed to transport oxygen.

So, I think I'm not a good canidate for Epo because it could cause additional malformation?

Also, yes; I am terrified of having a reaction! Thank God so far I tolerate transfusion very well.

I am type O negative; anybody can receive my blood but I can ONLY recieve O-.

It's like the holy grail of blood products. When I was working at a regional medical center with the only trauma unit for over 300 miles we used to get overhead announcements asking for any employees with type O- to please come donate when we would have mass traumas coming in.

What nobody wants you to know: There are still MAJOR concerns regarding the safety of our blood supply; they are still finding blood headed for our blood banks that test + for HIV.

Yikes...

Makes sense to me about why you wouldn't receive EPO. I was wondering if there was anything else out there, but it doesn't sound like it. I wouldn't be surprised---they have tried to do a lot of things with transfusion medicine, between blood products and platelets over the years, that haven't really worked out as planned. You can often tell what is going on with a patient when you look under the microscope---microcytic, nRBCs (or even RBCs that are more premature than that!), etc.

I know how transfusion medicine works unfortunately---I am hands deep in it. We always give our sickle patients O NEG if we can because those units are more likely to be antigen negative for the most commonly developed antibodies for them, like anti-C, anti-E and anti-K. Actually, it's very common practice to give an O NEG patient O POS if they are in a serious shortage---they do this for men and women who are no longer of childbearing age if they do not have anti-D or history of anti-D. I HATE this because often times those are people who need multiple transfusions over their lifetime and they end up developing an antibody anyway---I wish they would only do that when it is a trauma/their life depended on it. I would probably be a VERY annoying patient if I had to receive transfusions---especially if I was an O NEG. I would want to be antigen typed and I would want them to phenotype the units before they gave them to me.

I also just did some CE about the overuse of plasma in the US. And how many places use it in situations where it has never been deemed beneficial. Some patients can have reactions from that, especially if the donor was pregnant before (they try to avoid donations from those that fall into certain categories) but still---makes you stop and think.

Here's a little fun fact---we recently received notice that a product was dispensed for a person who donated who was found to have Babesia. Also, the blood center just had a HUGE ordeal because the FDA said the filters they were using to make products leukoreduced weren't approved. It was a huge nightmare.

Good luck on all of your future endeavors/transfusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or