U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,281,470 times

Advertisements

Oh please! Yes, there is a direct link from too much sugar to diabetes and heart disease. That is not even questionable. Not to mention what it does to your teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,294,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
There are web sources that say there is but how does a person know how reliable that information is. People are always claiming something causes something else etc. Any reliable information on heart problems and sugar. That is if there is cause by sugar.
Eating a lot of sugar and/or carbs can raise triglyceride levels, and a high triglyceride level is a risk factor for heart disease.

For me personally, my blood work numbers, i.e, HDL/LDL, blood sugar, triglycerides, are optimal when I drastically reduce my carbohydrate intake.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:19 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,112,491 times
I believe it is true that sugar is more harmful to your heart than cholesterol. Sugar also feeds cancer cells. There is no good reason to consume it, yet tons of people, including myself, seems to be addicted. I am doing everything I can to kick the habit before I ruin my health even more than I already have.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 PM

9,485 posts, read 16,479,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Excess sugar isn't good for anything. I've been down that nasty road early in my life and FINALLY woke up. Yesterday at bridge, I was trying to remind a lady who is dealing with cancer and on a 2nd or 3rd type drug, about sugar and to NOT indulge...she was mopping up on sweets....some people just don't get and I don't think doctors use any toughlove on their patients, just push the drugs.
One thing to keep in mind is that many tumors have insulin receptors and keeping the insulin level low is the smartest thing someone with cancer can do. I have a friend in a similar position and I can't get thru to her. She is getting ready to go another round of chemo/radiation b/c it came back pretty quickly. I'm not saying that's the only reason--she had a lot of emotional stress as well, but it sure didn't help.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,300,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I believe it is true that sugar is more harmful to your heart than cholesterol. Sugar also feeds cancer cells. There is no good reason to consume it, yet tons of people, including myself, seems to be addicted. I am doing everything I can to kick the habit before I ruin my health even more than I already have.
There is no evidence anywhere (other than some made up pseudo-bro-science) that sugar feeds cancer cells.

Sugar definitely is not good for you for other reasons, but this is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or