U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:15 AM

12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Buy some coconut oil or shea butter....stir in

-Lemongrass essential oil
-Basil
-Geranium

Easily found in Health Food Stores

Sit in a swarm of mosquitoes...you'll be VERY happy!

Tried and true. Smells very nice, btw.
Refrigerate at the end of the season for next year.

There are many other ess. oils you can use...this is the best smelling
Aw, I got as pm this works...I know ...it really is amazing.
And simple and smells good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Backwoods Off works best for me.... I am one of those who also gets eaten alive while others around me get nary a bite...... The Backwoods Off kept me virtually bite-free when I used to walk my dogs in woods and brush and fields where there were ALL kinds of biting insects.....

Repel and the other, less expensive brand that I cannot recall at the moment, do not work NEARLY as well.....

and don't even think about the Skin So Soft lotion from Avon.... absolutely worthless for insect repellent.....
It's the % of DEET in the product. Deep Woods Off! is 25%, Cutter Backwoods 25%, Sawyer Premium Ultra 30%, 3M Ultrathon 34%, and so on.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:14 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
There are choices. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...epellents.html

Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Not sure where to post this but I'm frustrated how mosquitoes and fleas love to suck my blood. No one else will get bit probably because the bugs are full off my blood. Im always the first to get bit and I get bit a lot. I heard it's probably something I'm missing in my blood? Any sprays I can use to repell them? My brother has dogs and when I go there I bring fleas back with me but my brother said no one else in his house gets bit... why ms??? (((
Are you sure they are flea bites? I only ask, because most dog owners treat their dogs now days with flea and tick repellant so our 4 legged creatures don't have many, if any fleas. The only thing I can say is, use DEET, that is what hubby uses to fight off creepy insects. He too gets eaten up. He can go to the back of our lot, just to put something in the shed, this time of year and get eaten by the chiggers. I think there may be a few fleas in our yard as well. We live in a very woodsy area. Our dog is treated so she doesn't have any fleas. The sad thing about hubby is, he doesn't even think to spray if he is just walking to the shed for 30 seconds. if he is working in the yard he does spray.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 AM

5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Dipping for fleas at the Vet almost killed one of my cats. I went out and bought brewers yeast and put it in the cats food. Apparently, that repels fleas and they won't go near a animal with that in their blood. I also swept Borax into the rugs. Worked. No more fleas anywhere.

If animals can eat brewers yeast, why can't human's? I am one of those people that mosquitoes don't bite. My Italian Uncle used to say it's from eating a lot of garlic. They did not bite him either.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,330 times
I second the garlic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness