U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
EMG is Thursday morning.

Whoever repped me with "Please post, after the EMG, about how much it hurt. I need to have one done but have been postponing it because so many people here on C-D have said how much it hurt."

don't worry I will...

The PA told me it was "unpleasant" but didn't go into further detail. I've been looking at Youtube videos and I think I'll be able to handle it.

The big test I failed miserably with the PA the other day was squeezing all my fingers together as hard as I could... he tried to move my left pinky away and couldn't...

... the right he moved with no effort at all. Pretty obvious I don't have the strength in those fingers.

Will post back.

I've had an EMG. It is unpleasant and sometimes you might feel a tiny bit of pain but it is very short lived.

As for the person who left you rep---I will put it this way---it would not bother me to get it again if I had to. I found it pretty bearable and it doesn't take very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM

759 posts, read 378,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I've had an EMG. It is unpleasant and sometimes you might feel a tiny bit of pain but it is very short lived.

As for the person who left you rep---I will put it this way---it would not bother me to get it again if I had to. I found it pretty bearable and it doesn't take very long.
Thanks for the info!

I'm not dreading it at all. Looking forward to perhaps one day regaining the feeling I've lost in these 2 fingers and part of my hand.

It's nothing too terribly annoying yet... only been a month or so. I hope it gets better before it gets worse.

Will post back after the appointment on Thurs.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 AM

In another twist... the top of my right hand from wrist to beginning of the fingers has been swollen and numb for the last day or so... apparently this can also be a nerve issue.

EMG tomorrow...

Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Diagnosis:

Pinched ulnar nerve in elbow
carpal tunnel in wrist

2 separate nerve issues. Surgery recommended... Doctor said they can be done at the same time.

EMG Test:

A complete joke. LOL On a pain scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst... I give it a 1.

I got a series of electric shocks... the worst felt like hitting my funny bone. The weakest shock I barely felt. None were painful.

The needle portion of the test was just a series of pricks... nothing painful about it. I've had shots that felt worse.

All the complaints I read online about this test being painful and unbearable must have been from people with a negative tolerance to pain...

There was nothing to it.

Will update the thread with the surgery info once I talk to the doctor about it. I'm hoping it "isn't a big deal" either.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM

Got the doctor's report in my email today...

1. Abnormal study.
2. There is electrodiagnostic evidence of a significant right ulnar neuropathy at the elbow comprising of focal demyelination and partial axon loss on EMG of the right first dorsal interosseous muscle. The neuropathy is identified in a segment 4 cm proximal to the medial epicondyle on ulnar inching studies.
3. There is no electrodiagnostic evidence of a right brachial plexopathy or generalized polyneuropathy.
4. There is electrodiagnostic evidence of a mild right median neuropathy across the wrist i.e. the carpal tunnel region.
5. There is no electrodiagnostic evidence of an acute or active right cervical radiculopathy at this time based on EMG examination of ventral ramus innervated C5-T1 muscles.

1. Right shoulder pain with right upper limb paresthesias: electrodiagnostic examination was requested primarily to assess for the presence and severity of ulnar neuropathy across the wrist and elbow while also evaluating for other entrapment neuropathies, brachial plexopathy, and underlying acute versus chronic cervical particularly C8 radiculopathy.

Plan of Care List

Consider this patient for right cubital tunnel release. He also appears to have right median neuropathy across the wrist which is subclinical but may be offered carpal tunnel decompression at the time of cubital tunnel release.

So basically they want to cut my elbow open and my wrist open at the same time... If anyone out there has had either done, please chime in.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,803,438 times
I tried to post this yesterday but it disappeared into the ether-net.

I had the carpal tunnel release on both hands (NOT at the same time, thank God). Expect that you will essentially lose the use of your hand for at least a couple of days up to a week. It will take your thumb quite a bit of time to be able to exert pressure (think turning a key in a lock). I would say that by 4 weeks I had about 60% usage back, full usage in 8 weeks.

They can do a laser method now I think or a "scope" method. I would strongly suggest against that unless more recent studies shows the success rate has improved. The last time I checked (several years ago) the open method had a much higher success rate.

I don't know about the cubital tunnel release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness