U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,439,151 times

Advertisements

Quick overview... I had total knee replacement on April 19th, this year. Everything went very well. Essentially no pain and at this point, 10 weeks out I am functioning very normally, up and down stair with both knees, walking well and lengths of time, no cane for weeks and going back to work in 2 weeks for full time work. I saw the surgeon last Fri. and he was happy with my progress and told me to come back in 6months.

During the last 7 weeks I have been in outpt. PT 2x a week. last week I started thinking the PT could stop or go to once a week for a couple of weeks and then end. I have been doing exercises at home and will continue. Well, then the PT who has said more than once that I was doing very well, tells me I should make appts. for another month. I thought huh??

I never thought of PT as a business but am starting to see it that way now. So, that is my question.... do they suggest longer amounts of time, more appts., for the business of it, the money? I understand totally if someone needs more therapy but if not, why suggest it?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM

18,837 posts, read 6,160,004 times
It's all a business, some areas worse push than others. Glad you are doing good and PT for the knee replacement, from what I understand, is critical, but sounds like you KNOW what to do at home.

I have a terrible knee, all worse since hip replacement and just can't bring myself to another surgery. My PT for hip job was minimal as I was doing good but things for me went downhill 5 months post op...so body is all off balance and alignment. Bad mess. I do PT for everything at home and it's 6 yrs soon post op on hip.

Question that push for more outside PT. In your mind at least. Bottom line, they are all in business for moola.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,806,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
During the last 7 weeks I have been in outpt. PT 2x a week. last week I started thinking the PT could stop or go to once a week for a couple of weeks and then end. I have been doing exercises at home and will continue. Well, then the PT who has said more than once that I was doing very well, tells me I should make appts. for another month. I thought huh??

Did you ask them why they felt you needed another month?

Why assume nefarious ulterior motives? Just ask.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 AM

13,167 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Hi all,

I'm resurrecting the thread with physical therapy woes of my own. I have had shoulder surgery on the left, the second shoulder surgery on this one and third shoulder surgery in total. I am going to this clinic for the first time, and I am unhappy with the quality of care I am receiving. The PT who heads the clinic is great, the employees are friendly and have helped me somewhat, but she isn't the one who is actually doing the therapy. The guy doing the exercises with me is an idiot. I have had a ton of PT on my shoulders already (around 36 weeks,) so I know the drill inside and out. I am suspecting this guy isn't even licensed, and even if he is, he just doesn't care.

He tells me to do whatever exercise but doesn't monitor or time me while I'm doing them. He wanders off, talks, and doesn't actually do what physical therapists normally do. I and the insurance company are paying a ton of money for this service ($40/session,) and am supposed to go 3 times/week for another seven sessions at least. I have gained much mobility in the left shoulder, but most of the gain is due to my efforts there and at home and certainly not due to his expertise. I suspect he isn't even licensed. My other physical therapists were the best. They pushed me, watched me, and made sure I was doing what they wanted me to do.

At this point I want to quit. It's ridiculously expensive anyway and I can't afford $500/month on PT. And if he isn't helping me, what's the point? I have heard that many people go for a few sessions and do their PT at home. Has anyone else had physical therapy? What do you think?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 AM

496 posts, read 221,623 times
You can verify if the guy is licensed or not: look on the website for your state's PT Board and there should be a link to check on licensing status. Just enter his name and you will find out.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:50 PM

19,637 posts, read 53,511,196 times
You can also complain to his boss!

Old 01-02-2017, 04:55 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Quick overview... I had total knee replacement on April 19th, this year. Everything went very well. Essentially no pain and at this point, 10 weeks out I am functioning very normally, up and down stair with both knees, walking well and lengths of time, no cane for weeks and going back to work in 2 weeks for full time work. I saw the surgeon last Fri. and he was happy with my progress and told me to come back in 6months.

I never thought of PT as a business but am starting to see it that way now. So, that is my question.... do they suggest longer amounts of time, more appts., for the business of it, the money? I understand totally if someone needs more therapy but if not, why suggest it?

thanks
a lot of it is about making $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 01-06-2017, 09:18 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
You know you're supposed to do, so are you going to therapy at all. My husband does all his PT at home after only five sessions on a previous shoulder surgery he's had great results .
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or