U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 AM

13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times

Advertisements

Anyway for those of us that study incurable diseases like ALS there's excitement as the MDA reported a clinical trial in Italy with 44 people with ALS were given Lithium (already FDA approved drug) and after 15 months not one died and their progression of the disease either slowed or stopped. Larger clinical trials are on the fast track now.

ALS can strike anyone at any age and once it starts it paraylises your entire body and death usually happens in 2 to 5 years. You become entombed in your own body. So this is exciting and it's good to see medical science progress in our times.

MDA Research | Lithium Slows ALS Progression In Study (http://www.als-mda.org/research/news/080204Lithium_slows_ALS.html - broken link)

Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM

12,397 posts, read 15,039,888 times
This is wonderful news 6 foot..This is one of the most debilitating diseases that has ruined so many lives and cut many lives so short..I pray that one day there will be a cure for it..Thanks for calling it to our arrention..

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 77,038 times
They should hurry it up! This is a terrible disease! Its been over 100 yrs since it was first diagnosed. Hurry up govenments and take action quickly!! If it was one of there children, fathers, mothers im sure they would!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,547,778 times
They aren't curing anything. They are just gonna stick these poor people on lithium there whole life which as the articles says is a drug that has to be closely monitored. Its not a safe drug even for the ppl (bi-polar, scizophrenics) which it was intended for.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM

7,090 posts, read 7,232,253 times
Lithium is a safe drug in low concentrations, though often severe mental disorder patients are put on a great deal of it because it is also one of the few that work for resistant types of those disorders. At levels like that it does cause problems...like obesity, fatigue, and sometimes phantom pain in addition to the liver toxicity effects (that are closely monitored). It's a hell of a lot better to be on that IMHO, even with the side effects at high concentrations, then living under a bridge and screaming at traffic that the squirrels are eating your feet while you sleep.

The dosages required in the study seem to be on the low side too, and if it slows down the progression of this devastating disease that is simply awesome. I'd rather be fat and tired then be unable to move, communicate, then dead in 5 years. I hope they find it works with more studies.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM

13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky View Post
They should hurry it up! This is a terrible disease! Its been over 100 yrs since it was first diagnosed. Hurry up govenments and take action quickly!! If it was one of there children, fathers, mothers im sure they would!!!!!
I posted this story february of last year (2008) as the latest hope for the people who get this devastating neuro disorder is the first human clinical trials of stem cells starting this summer by Neuralstem.

http://www.neuralstem.com/index.asp?pgid=1 (broken link)

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 77,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I posted this story february of last year (2008) as the latest hope for the people who get this devastating neuro disorder is the first human clinical trials of stem cells starting this summer by Neuralstem.

Stem Cell Research at Neuralstem (http://www.neuralstem.com/index.asp?pgid=1 - broken link)

Im wondering how accessible thats going to be for the general people, mind you i could just imagine the cost. If it works...

Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 34,617 times
Today I went the funeral of a friend (for 25 years) who died of ALS. His courage in the face of this disease was amazing, and heartbreaking. This formerly active, athletic man, was robbed of his body, and then trapped in it. The answer to this disease must be found.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM

809 posts, read 1,354,001 times
I am writing this approximately 2 years after the first post. A very good friend of mine, a retired school teacher, was diagnosed with ALS after dealing with some of the symptoms. Mid 2009, he was driving to appointments. February of 2010, he cannot get up or eat on his own. his speech has really slowed down and his breathing is labored. I think it is just a matter of months before the end. So, the lithium has done nothing for him. We were all so excited about the lithium, but the results are nothing.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
I iwsh there were a cure - the lithium trial only showed a treatment that did not reverse the disease, only halted it or slowed it. A true cure would reverse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness