Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM

90 posts, read 253,336 times

Advertisements

Hello. i just started a new job at a library. I have noticed that over the course of a few hours, my throat (maybe my vocal cords) become very strained. I don't actually lose my voice but there is a fair amount of discomfort. Until I started this new job, I have never experienced this feeling. It ususally goes away after about an hour of not talking. What I have noticed is that the discomfort is only ever present on my right side. It's starting to worry me that maybe I should make an appointment to see my doctor. Like I said, until I started this brand new job, never have I had this problem.

Last edited by Trekker34; 07-10-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Hello. i just started a new job at a library. I have noticed that over the course of a few hours, my throat (maybe my vocal cords) become very strained. I don't actually lose my voice but there is a fair amount of discomfort. Until I started this new job, I have never experienced this feeling. It ususally goes away after about an hour of not talking. What I have noticed is that the discomfort is only ever present on my right side. It's starting to worry me that maybe I should make an appointment to see my doctor. Like I said, until I started this brand new job, never have I had this problem.

Are there dusty books at the library or is there dust in the air? If so, it could be allergies.

Probably a good idea to see your doctor to be sure what is causing it & to get some relief from your symptoms.

Whenever I've worked in dusty archives I get something similar, but never just on one side.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Do you only get this in the library? Do you have it at home or anywhere else? I've never heard of anything like this, only on the right side and it goes away. As a former librarian, I do know that libraries are bad for allergies--dust and mold mostly.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:49 PM

The first time I noticed when soon after I started working at the library. Never had it at any other job, even ones that required lots of talking. It doesn't seem to crop up anywhere else. It's quite unusual. And, yes, the discomfort only seems to be on the right side of my neck/throat.

Last edited by Trekker34; 07-10-2016 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 06:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
That's very odd that it is only on the right side.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
That's very odd that it is only on the right side.
And do you ONLY get it at the library? Do you get it when you're home for a day?

Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM

I originally noticed it when I was at work in the library about a week ago. The symptoms usually go away after an hour or so. The only thing in my life that changed was the new job at the library, unless it's just a coincidence and something else that just so happened to crop up around the same time. Weird. I emailed my doc and asked if I could see an ENT. But with how are terrible our health care system is, it could be weeks before I can get seen. I was home yesterday and, no, I did not feel anything even after a long phone call.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Unilateral vocal cord polyp(s)? A primary care doc can at least look at your throat and neck and assess for obvious abnormalities, such as nodules, enlarged lymph nodes/thyroid, any asymmetry, allergies, etc... while you are waiting a referral to the ENT, if needed. Any unexplained swallowing or breathing problems, fevers, nightsweats or weight loss? Do you smoke? If so, make sure you discuss this with the doc.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Non-smoker with no other symptoms.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Has your thyroid been checked? Mine was enlarged and growing around my vocal cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness